Hb And Plastics Session

stylo

Spent a few hours over the weekend and thanks to Hodgey and Roberta's posts on the in's and out's of top water breaming, I went out armed with my lures and headed to the Parra river. The tide was not in my favour - very low low tide at around 11pm on Sat but I did manage to get my first bream on a Sammy65 on a walk the dog action. It smashed the lure hard but I missed the first hookup &)%*#& - but it came back for seconds and I snaffled it on its side - I don't know if it counts if the lure is not in it's gob. Anyway he went 20 cms and was released. I'm hooked on these lures and wish I had picked some of these up earlier in the season when the temperature was warmer !!

FYI these were the most important tips I've learned for beginner HB lurers. MUST use thick mono leader (or something that floats), use loop knot, better action from a rod with a whippy tip & wear sunscreen.

post-2873-127104257205_thumb.jpg

Sunday I spent an hour or so on the high tide chasing flatties with squidgy fish and managed this guy around 50cm. Took a pic and back in the drink it went. I also used squidgy S-factor and find that it works well and will be getting this instead of gulp from now on because for the 100th time, gulp juice leaked all over my bag #$%@*#% !!!! The S factor packet holds its contents much better.

post-2873-127104258439_thumb.jpg

Nice fishes dude. I also caught a bream in Canada Bay/ Victoria Bridge area using a top floater. Totally smashed it, but it was too small. Probably full of dioxins as well.

Its soo true about the Gulp, I bought some the other day and now everything it came in contact with smells like crap. All those expensive juices leaked everywhere and thus I caught no fish...Woodchop can attest to that. No other reason than that.

The gulp smells pretty poo. I hate the mess it makes. But yeah ... looks like summer is over and I will have to wait out the winter before the hungry bream come out to play again.

To those wanting to try topwater fishing go for it. The lures are expensive but, touch wood, unless you cast it into a tree, you won't lose these to underwater snags. Flatties might steal a lure or two though.

Congratulations, Stylo, on your first Sammy caught breambo!! The first of many, I think!! That is a lovely photo too - did you change it to that colour, or is that how it came out of the camera?! Real Calendar Pic, tho!! Looks bigger than 20cm, too - must have had it on 'Macro' too! Looks like my favourite coloured sammy there!! :biggrin2:

I am going to keep trying them right thru winter - unlike cicada/popper imitation ...... all fish will go for a smaller struggling fish!

In the yak, I have modified an extending Golf Ball Retriever into a lure retriever! Even from trees, I can usually retrieve my lures now (underwater, too!) :thumbup:

Cheerio

Roberta

tks for the tips on the gulps guys .. it actually all spilled into a big ziplock bag that i house the opened gulp packs in. it's just a pain to have to clean it up yet again ... i will try to come up with a non-bulky solution .. otherwise i'll just get the airtight container.

yes, that pic was taken on auto macro setting but with no editing. it was a sunny day and i actually thought the pic came out a bit overexposed ! you can clearly see the sammy 65 wording - free plug for luckycraft ahha

i too will try to keep using these lures over winter. a lot of fun when you can see the fish chasing the lure !

Hehehehe ... you're in trouble now! It starts off with a speculatory surface lure, and a 'quick flick just to see what all the fuss is about'. The next thing you know, you're inspecting all your rods for 'suitability for pencil-work' and you need a new tackle bag to carry your boxes of surface lures! :biggrin2:

Congrats on your success mate. That is a terrific photo. :thumbup: I hope it's the first of many more to appear in your reports.

Cheers

Hodgey