1St........king !

monch

Hi Raiders,

Plan was to wake up at dawn and have a flick for bream this morning at around 7am. Instead slept in and got there at 9am, no worries it was overcast so i was still in with a chance i thought. Was going to be a lure only session but i decided to buy a loaf of bread on the way 'just in case'. Got there and there were frigate mackerel zooming around the place chasing tiny white bait, wouldn't even look at my 2" plastics so gave up on them.

Could not entice a bream at all and by 11am the cloud cover had gone away and everything buggered off :thumbdown: . Whipped out the bread for some fun with bait fish and as i started to burley, a school of gars came along yay. Got into them quick smart, landing 2 from a few casts, 1st one was converted to strip baits, the 2nd smaller one (20cm) was going out live on my heavier bream outfit. 10lb braid, 10lb flouro, 1/0 circle hook, had it pre-rigged for using live poddies for flatties. Circle hook in the a-hole and off the gar went. He sat there comfortably for about 40mins swimming along the surface about 15m out from the wharf.

By then i had met a fellow raider, Zephi and his entourage. I say to Zephi, "dam there are no kingies here today, if they were here they would be smashing these gars right now"... famous last words.

5mins later (around 12:30) my rod buckles over in the makeshift rod holder and line screams off zzzz...zzzzzzZZZZ Wooohooo :biggrin2: . I tighten up the drag slowly to fighting drag and the fish gets madder ZZZzzZZZ! Must be a big tailor i note, but no headshakes..hmm. After peeling line and arcing around several times a bright yellow tail breaks the surface "Could it be?!" I think to myself. The fish continues to peel drag and hang on its side, fighting like a trevally, must be a king! It pushes me up and down the wharf, dodging lines and buckets and tackle boxes. Luckily Zephi's friends were at hand to help net the fish, would have had zero chance at low tide by myself.

After several missed net shots at full reach, the result...

post-6015-127209238928_thumb.jpg

My 1st Kingy :yahoo:

post-6015-127209241683_thumb.jpg

60cm and released (upon closer inspection it looks closer to 59cm but i'll call it for 60 :P)

post-6015-127209240239_thumb.jpg

After that we tried to get some more live baits out, assuming a king of that size would be with a school. Had a live yakka down deep in close, 2 live gars, 1 of which was donated by Zephi on my rod on the surface and out further, and a small live arrow squid which i donated to Zephi and co for their help with my kingy. Alas it was not to be, the kings had moved on.

Luck was on my side today, if i had got up earlier to fish i would not have stayed till 1pm or so when the hit came, if i had not bought bread i would not have caught the bait, if Zephi was not there i would not have been able to net the fish and if i didn't say the magic words "there are no kingies here today", i might not have hooked up :1prop:

So all in all I had a great day, met some nice guys and caught my 1st kingy :biggrin2:

Edited by monch

Thanks Ray. And they are definitely fun to catch on bream gear :P

Way to go MONCH!!!!!

That kingy has been a long time coming..... :yahoo:

Did you get him in the hacking

Haven't heard from you in a while mate, how you been?

Long time coming alrite, thought i had missed the boat with the season ending, another year long wait would kill me!

Yep caught in the hacking.

Monch

Hey mate it was great fishing with you today. Good job on ur first king, orginally thought you had caught kings before haha. Anyway hope to see you there again soon, really enjoyed your company. We can probably organize another day out soon.

Lol btw we ended with 30 gars.

got another squid on that homemade jag thing lol, a bit smaller than the first. Just before we left had a really big one come but it was too timid and let go too quickly. Can't beleive how many squids we lost total today.

Congrats mate :thumbup:

I am actually quite surprised you did not get one earlier in the season with the live squids but persistence finally paid off, well done landing the fish with some help from the good mates. Gotta say I enjoy the report too :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ryan

I Love the hacking, I reckon its the cleanest of the Sydney are fishing and plenty of squid around

it sure is... Fished the Georges throughout my childhood, but after coming to Port Hacking for the first time ever, I have not gone back to fish at the Georges... Port Hacking, even if the fish aren't biting one can just sit back and enjoy the scenery, Port Hacking with its pristine blue waters, and hardly any rubbish in the water.

Then again, there's always something to target for in the Hacking.

Monch,

That's a Great Report very well thought out and very informative and great reading.

Congrats on your 1st Kingy something you will never forget especially on the land-base front as I believe that you will not find a better fighter land-based than the King!!!! Well done Champ!!!!!

I cant wait till I am back from overseas so I can get back into the Fish again!!!!

Look forward to reading future posts from you....

Regards,

Nathan