Disappointing April Report.....

GregL

G'Day Raiders

I've been very quiet of late, like my fishing I suppo's.

Over the last month I have been out fishing at least twice a week but the catch rate has been lousy, the mojos definately out the window at the moment :ranting2:

I've done 3 trips out chasing snapper as this time last year they had started but the current in shore has been non existant. With bugger all wind I was drifting at .2kn. No run no fun......

Our best snapper to date is only a pannie of around 3kgs and we have only got 6 to the boat in 3 trips :thumbdown:

Then there is the fin.....

2 solid trips for bugger all.....

Heatons to harbour in an hour, can't complain about the conditions but fin in 26 degree water????

Only tuna water we could find was at the shelf with a nice 23-25 degree temp break.

1 box of cubes to have jackets sit under the boat..... :ranting2:

Last Saturday I took Jeremy my 10 year old out for his first run chasing game fish.

With plenty of little dollies out at the traps I thought that's going to be the best bet to get a bend in a rod for him.

A quick blast out to the 12 mile and my little scout out on the bow spotting the traps it wasn't long before the first dollies were grey hounding across the surface to check out the 2 little christmas tree lures we had out the back.

I had set up 2 outfits to use for the day, little Saltiga 68S spin rods with Certate 4000PE's loaded with 30lb SI braid.

Perfect light outfits that have grunt down low but nice and floppy for over excited rod work but still light enough so he's fighting the fish and not the outfit.

In 2.5 hours he had a nice tally of 11 fish in total and 4 striped tunas and the rest dollies. He now has a total length PB of a 76cm dollie and a best weight of around 3.5kg stripey.

One fish even had him at the knot! "Dad I think I have a problem?" "what's up?" I asked, "Um there's no line left on the reel!" 220m of braid out and sitting at the knot! Go the uni knot! LOL

In the end I had one buggered angler, red handed and massaging his rod arm he still said "just one more!"

One more pass and what a way to end the day with a double hook up on dollies :biggrin2:

Here is a little pic and clip of one of a striped tuna he cauught that what hooked deep. It's got a ticket for a ride out on the NEXT cubing trip ;)

post-3563-127244714392_thumb.jpg

Anyways that's been the month on NEXT. 800lt of fuel later and not many fish in the box. :1badmood:

Bring on winter!

GregL

well done on young jeremy landing some nice fish.im a bit jealous,im 28yrs old & stil havnt landed a dollie & stripped tuna.well done jeremy & greg.shame your trips havnt been as productive as your past outings,but im sure that will change in the near future.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

P.S.if you ever want some company on your boat greg,im keen.hehe!

Sorry to hear its been a quiet month for you Greg.Heatons to the harbour in an hour thats one beast of a boat and sensational conditions to do that.Jeremy is very lucky 10 year old to be taken out on a boat by his father and catch stripies and dollies, im sure not many of us have had the privilege half his luck.Hope next month proves to be more productive, good luck.

Cheers Mike

Hey Greg,

Unlucky on the recent results on your trips. I think many of us are sharing that feeling of yours (well i certainly have had an unproductive april)!

Best of luck on your next trip and fingers crossed things hot up (fishing wise that is)!

Andrew

800L of fuel... about $1200

A box of wasted pillies... about $70

A day like that fishing with Jeremy... Priceless :thumbup:

Fantastic report for one with limited fish, Greg. What a fantastic day out with your son. Time like that is worth any number of frustrating, fishless trips (even if it doesn't feel like it while you're feeding the jackets).

Congratulations, Jeremy... fantastic fish :yahoo:

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks all.

Yeah he's got the fishing bug for sure.

He even goes by himself up the street after school with his rod trying to catch stuff down at the local park. :biggrin2:

The once saltwater tropical fish tank has turning into a chinese restaurant look with bream n whitting swimming around. Saves a shed load in buying them saltwater angles though!! :thumbup:

Slink your to use to them QLD petrol prices, I pay d'Albora marina pricing(damn there's no emoticon of me touching toes and taking it!) $1.80 for standard unleaded and they don't even put a high flow hose on with a clicker. Ya have to hold the hose or jam a pair of pliers in! tight as a fishes bottom!

Land locked this week as boats out of water for it's scheduled service and detail. I bet the fish turn up to, has every other time it comes out of the water!

Watch out the local blackfish population, I'm on the way ^_^

Greg

Nice work on getting the little fella onto some fish!

we have been really slow at the moment as well with the dollies and a few stripped tuna saving the day!

Lost about 5 jig at 12 mile and the peak the other day so the answer to everyone is yes the jackets are still there!

Great stuff Greg. It's amazing how keen they can be at that age! Anja fished her first tournie with me the other week at the tender age of 9. Filled in for Justin at Lake Mac and even got herself a nice keeper for her efforts. And just quietly it was bigger than her old man's... It's great bonding time

Greg

Hi Greg

Shame about the lack of reddies for you - but hey! A new fishing champion in the family! Well done young Jeremy - awesome work bringing in some terrific fish there!! Congratulations!

A buddy was snorkelling off Seal Rocks yesterday & said he saw quite a few snapper of about 5kg size - nice dinner size! Better come up here!!

ooooh - blackies will be shivering in their boots!! I saw an Okuma 'coarse fishing reel' today - absolutely gorgeous!! Spins forever! Just as well I prefer spinning reels!! :biggrin2:

CHeerio for now - hope the reddies come back onto the chew soon!! Makes you appreciate the ones you've caught before, eh?? :1prop:

Roberta

sounds like a great day for the youngin, I think the last time i had a fish fight that well was 1987 (I was about 8) and pulled in a massive bream.

800L of fuel? holy smokes. and I thought driving a sports car was bad :074:

Mate, fishless days fade into a distant memory when you can put your young bloke onto a cracker and you see that smile....Nice work Jeremy in some sloppy conditions....obvioulsy he kept himself pretty cool with the backing knot fast approaching...well done.