Where Are The Kings?

nosliw

Had an early start on sunday morning with next to no visibility due to the fog. Launched from drummoyne and it was a slow and scary ride out to the harbour but luckily once we passed the bridge it wasn't too bad.

First off we picked up a few squid and a cuttle, then off to get some yakkas. All was looking good until.. we did a drift passed the yellow marker and the cuttle was picked off immediately. Damn not the peckers again as I had the same problem last week. Moved to the tripod and anchored, same thing happend. I don't know what they are(possibly LJ's?) but they demolish baits almost instantly, although I did not lose any rigs. They must have sharp teeth as they have no problems decimating our squid baits within a matter of seconds. I could see good activity on the sounder(which looked like predators) but within seconds of baits being put down, tap tap tap and our hard earned squid's gone.

Fished most the markers in the harbour and tried along the quarantine head cliffs. Also tried along the cliffs near the south head light house but there wasn't much activity besides a few bait balls here and there. I did not see many other boats catching but reports as of late seem to still show kings in the harbour. We spent a good 10 hours on the water moving around a lot but couldn't even manage one king.

How did everyone else go this weekend? The only places I could see good activity the baits would get taken by peckers.

Had an early start on sunday morning with next to no visibility due to the fog. Launched from drummoyne and it was a slow and scary ride out to the harbour but luckily once we passed the bridge it wasn't too bad.

First off we picked up a few squid and a cuttle, then off to get some yakkas. All was looking good until.. we did a drift passed the yellow marker and the cuttle was picked off immediately. Damn not the peckers again as I had the same problem last week. Moved to the tripod and anchored, same thing happend. I don't know what they are(possibly LJ's?) but they demolish baits almost instantly, although I did not lose any rigs. They must have sharp teeth as they have no problems decimating our squid baits within a matter of seconds. I could see good activity on the sounder(which looked like predators) but within seconds of baits being put down, tap tap tap and our hard earned squid's gone.

Fished most the markers in the harbour and tried along the quarantine head cliffs. Also tried along the cliffs near the south head light house but there wasn't much activity besides a few bait balls here and there. I did not see many other boats catching but reports as of late seem to still show kings in the harbour. We spent a good 10 hours on the water moving around a lot but couldn't even manage one king.

How did everyone else go this weekend? The only places I could see good activity the baits would get taken by peckers.

They are still around, but not in the numbers we are used to.

We managed a few rats and a mate was smoked as well.( on Sunday )

Be warned anchoring on the Tripod. Waterways WILL book you.

I wasn't aware of that and also we were stopped for a routine check whilst anchored at the tripod by water police and they never mentioned anything but thanks for the input. Also for those that are interested they checked for: fishing license, boat license, registration, oars, jackets, fire extinguisher, torch, and bucket with rope attached.

If you don't mind me asking what was the general area that you were fishing and roughly what time of day were the fish biting?

Thanks,

Yeah mate it was hard work on sunday, always is because of the boat traffic.

In MH i found kings and had them at the back of the boat but they were not interested in anything that had a hook in it.

Managed only one bonnie, a very big fat tailor and dropped a monster flattie at the boat.

Cheers

They are still around, but not in the numbers we are used to.

We managed a few rats and a mate was smoked as well.( on Sunday )

Be warned anchoring on the Tripod. Waterways WILL book you.

Yes .. anchoring on the Tripod will get you a nice fine. If anyone has ever caught good fish off the tripod, you will know that if you do anchor, you will have buckleys of gettign the fish out of the structure. It is best to hover and use the boat to drag the fish off once hooked.

Yes .. anchoring on the Tripod will get you a nice fine. If anyone has ever caught good fish off the tripod, you will know that if you do anchor, you will have buckleys of gettign the fish out of the structure. It is best to hover and use the boat to drag the fish off once hooked.

hi, im pretty sure i know the tripod you guys are reffering to, the one just before the big yellow buoy as you pass rosebay?

is it a no anchoring zone? iv never actually noticed a sign there?

hi, im pretty sure i know the tripod you guys are reffering to, the one just before the big yellow buoy as you pass rosebay?

is it a no anchoring zone? iv never actually noticed a sign there?

Yep.

Best you get a chart which will show you the no anchoring zone. The Zone itself is actually a very large area,

It actually runs all the way Sth of the Tripod to Shark IS. There is alot of cables and pipes etc in that area, which are owned by teh Navy, hence the reason they dont want any anchores dropped in that area.

Yep.

Best you get a chart which will show you the no anchoring zone. The Zone itself is actually a very large area,

It actually runs all the way Sth of the Tripod to Shark IS. There is alot of cables and pipes etc in that area, which are owned by teh Navy, hence the reason they dont want any anchores dropped in that area.

i did a quick search on the internet for a chart to no avail, can you or anyone here post a chart of the area?

thanks!

Hi nsaykali

Screen shot of the area in question (I think this is the area you are talking about).

You can see the 2 areas marked "Naval Waters" surrounded by a purple line. These are listed as "Anchoring prohibited" zones.

Cheers

post-13646-127309007976_thumb.gif

HMAS Kanimbla was stopped in the larger of the purple squares last Friday,

its helicopter was doing some sort of landing and take off excerises, while

black inflateble boats with coppers on board were also circleing the ship.

cheers

yep still around.

got a nice 80 today, and some cracking tailor, 6 of, all between 45 and 60 cm.

all inside the harbour

Well done mate... I was out today today too and ended up with the same result.. a big fat 0. Peckers were around and baits didnt stand a chance. I tried drifting further away from the markers but still no luck. I guess this season is over for me