A Great Day On The Water

james7

It was a late start with some drizzle as we left the ramp. Fortunately the light rain cleared within twenty minutes.

post-4381-127286296581_thumb.jpg

Trolling, we picked up a few bonito, a couple of baby kings, a nice tailor and a salmon.

post-4381-127286298503_thumb.jpg

We drifted for flathead and only scored a few before the jackets arrived. :1badmood:

We'd lost enough rigs and had packed up to move again, when a large pod of dolphins arrived. They were everywhere. They kept us company for about an hour jumping and playing. (I've put some more photos of the dolphins in the General photos section. Click here to see them)

post-4381-127286299318_thumb.jpg

post-4381-127286300672_thumb.jpg

We drifted off the beach for very little except a magnificant view and eventually a great sunset.

post-4381-127286301424_thumb.jpg

post-4381-12728630259_thumb.jpg

Syd (the skipper) decided to stay around for a while because the conditions were so pleasant. When the moon got up, it was even better.

post-4381-127286303943_thumb.jpg

post-4381-127286305091_thumb.jpg

Stayed a few hours, but nothing of note came on board.

It was just great to be out on such a beautiful evening.

post-4381-127286297543_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Congrats Pete and Syd, looked like a top day out there on the briney, I love watching the dolphins too. Top pics too Pete and good to see that Syd scored his manditory banjo... :thumbup:

Good report as always Peter. That 'Watching the rods in the sunset' photo typifies one of the many 'perks' of our favourite pasttime. What a great time to be on the water! :thumbup: I see Deliverance Syd is up to his usual tricks. :biggrin2: Another good feed. I'd like a dollar for every fish that has ever graced that table. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Skip

Good report Pete, as usual. I see Syd is still wearing his obligitory blue and white striped shirt, hmmmm has he got a birthday coming up soon.....?

Bill

Good one Bill! :074: Actually, it's Syd's birthday in two weeks. You reckon he needs a bit of a wardrobe update?

Dolphins

I put up some better photos of the jumping dolphins in the general photos section. Click here to see them.

In the following photo you can see that something has had a go at this dolphin. Any ideas what it might have been? (Maybe those bloody jackets again! :074: )

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

post-4381-127293411988_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

So much for catch and release !!

M

Your comment surprised me M. You should have asked what our total catch would have been if we didn't release any fish. You obviously don't know me or my mate Syd very well. For your information, we released at least five 36+cm flatties, as well as several bonito.

Three bonito and the salmon were filleted and salted for bait. The remaining bonito, the tailor and trev were filleted and smoked. We only kept enough to fill our smoker.

Let's see, we kept eight blue spotted flatties between us and the bag limit says that we could have kept forty. All our flatties were over 36cm. The size limit is 33cm for blue spotted flathead. I have no idea how many we released that were between 33cm and 36cm.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Your comment surprised me M. You should have asked what our total catch would have been if we didn't release any fish. You obviously don't know me or my mate Syd very well. For your information, we released at least five 36+cm flatties, as well as several bonito.

Three bonito and the salmon were filleted and salted for bait. The remaining bonito, the tailor and trev were filleted and smoked. We only kept enough to fill our smoker.

Let's see, we kept eight blue spotted flatties between us and the bag limit says that we could have kept forty. All our flatties were over 36cm. The size limit is 33cm for blue spotted flathead. I have no idea how many we released that were between 33cm and 36cm.

Cheers

Peter

PETE, NO NEED TO JUSTIFY YOURSELF MATE! THERE'S ONE IN EVERY BUNCH!

WELL DONE ON THE CATCH AND awesome PHOTOS MATE!