Late Post Re: Fishing At Forster (Wallis Lakes)

Dusky

Hi Raiders

First off, I would like to say thank you to Roberta for taking time out of her week end & preparation time for the ABT to take myself & mrs flightmanager (Cath) out fishing last week end.:thumbup:

We met up with Roberta at a great caravan park right on the lake at Tuncurry mid morning waiting for the tide & taking advantage of Roberts' knowledge to choose the best rod 'n' reel/line combination for the area. After waiting for the tide to be right & selecting the correct tackle we took the yaks down to the water & paddled off into a beautiful late morning with a soft breeze & clear skies.

So, for me this was many firsts :fisher:

my first time meeting Roberta & fishing Tuncurry

my first time fishing from a kayak

my first time fishing with a graphite rod & matched reel (just bought for the weekend - I know, I'm already a tragic :074: )

my first time fishing with braid

my first time fishing with SP's ('Squidgy Fish' in 'Silver Fox' - on Roberta's recommendation)

After some coaching on how to cast & retrieve - I eventually got the rhythm & really began to enjoy myself. It was only about 1/2 hr before I hooked my 1st fish - a little dusky flat head - ha - caught myself :1boff:

& as the afternoon progressed caught 2 more, all under sized so no fish for dinner. :05: with many pesky weed fish being pulled in. It was a great day out on the water & I came back to shore to meet up with Cath who had been practicing her casting with some very light braid & caught a tree fish while watching the Tri-Athalon athletes some & go (keeping her occupied till my return).

After bidding Roberta farewell we sat & watched the best sunset with a glass of wine before heading into Forster for dinner.

some of the highlights!

see you on the water raiders :1boat:

post-11824-127331463218_thumb.jpg

post-11824-127331466225_thumb.jpg

post-11824-127331471872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dusky

Well what can I say, but what a terrific weekend.

Roberta arrived about 8am and after a few cuppas, lots of tackle talk and a scan through the latest fishing mag it was time to hit the water. The decision had been made to use plastics and lures whist out on the water.

Drove the trusty Suzuki down to the ramp and unloaded the two kayaks. Dusky was the first to hit the water with a very hungry Roberta not far behind.

The call had gone out to target the mighty flat head.

Me on the other hand had decided to fish from the shore using bait.

It wasn't long before Dusky came in brandishing the first of his 3 flatties, and also bleeding where it had bitten him. A quick release and a couple of bandaids saw him back out amongst it.

Unfortunately or fortunately for me, where I had set up to fish, (and also because a friend of Robert' had had a yak knocked off a few weeks before we where unwilling to leave an unattended vehicle) was the finishing spot for the BLAH BLAH BLAH Adventure Tour. part of a triathlon held in the area over this weekend.

So after many a nibble and my final tree fish, I had to get an official to help retrieve my line (sorry Roberta) and then spent the rest of the day (from 11.30am) sitting in the back of the Suzi watching the eye candy, I mean kayakers land their yaks and take off on a 3.5k run.

This was fun, but the highlight of the day was seeing Dusky's face after landing 3 fine specimens of the targeted species and this only on his fist official run.

Thanks Roberta for being such a loyal Fishraider and also such a terrific tutor. You now have a convert not only to plastics and lures, but also to yak fishing.

Cant wait till next time and maybe I will get the chance to take out the yak with you.

Good luck in the ABT.

Cheers

Cath

Edited by mrs flightmanager

Hi Rex & Cath

So glad you enjoyed the day on or near the water - how fitting that Rex caught his 'sign-on name' the dusky flattie!

Oh yes - and I forgot to tell you that 4lb braid casts a LOT higher & further than 15lb braid ..... hence your tree-fish! :wacko: Even I catch them when near the shore!! Luckily, I usually have my 9ft lure retriever on hand, to grab any wayward lures!!

Looks like we had the best of the weather too - forecast for the Grand Final this weekend up here is NOT GOOD!! :mad3: Ah well, nothing you can do about it - just do the best with what comes your way!!

Cheerio & look forward to fishing again!

Roberta