Lilli Pilli

Yowie

Had a fish in Port Hacking this morning. As I was getting the boat ready at my mother's place on Gunnamatta Bay, top of the tide, threw in a line just in case. Pulled out a 39 cm bream, back in for another just over 40cm. Released the second one, big and fat with the blue nose.

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli, 4 tailor to 43cm, 2 reddies 39 and 41cm, 2 trevally about 33 and 38cm (both released) and a metre plus shovelnose (released). A kingie followed up a hooked trevally, looked a bit under size, but did not stay long under the boat.

Yowie.

That's a top effort for a morning fish in the Hacking. I bet it was beautiful on the water too.

Quality bream there! 40cm is a real thumper! :thumbup:

Tailor, trevs and reddies as well. Great catch.

Bait or sps?

Cheers

Peter

You are having pretty good luck with the hacking yowie. I was out around lilli pilli yesterday and the fishing was tougher than normal. Hooked up a couple of large flounder and a legal snapper. There wasnt any trevally about or tailor and it was a struggle to catch any legal bream. A large school of garfish were schooling around our berley trail so we decided to catch a feed of garfish. All in all a good day on the river, though it would be good to have a successful day like yours :biggrin2:

That's a top effort for a morning fish in the Hacking. I bet it was beautiful on the water too.

Quality bream there! 40cm is a real thumper! :thumbup:

Tailor, trevs and reddies as well. Great catch.

Bait or sps?

Cheers

Peter

Squid and pilchards.

You are having pretty good luck with the hacking yowie. I was out around lilli pilli yesterday and the fishing was tougher than normal. Hooked up a couple of large flounder and a legal snapper. There wasnt any trevally about or tailor and it was a struggle to catch any legal bream. A large school of garfish were schooling around our berley trail so we decided to catch a feed of garfish. All in all a good day on the river, though it would be good to have a successful day like yours :biggrin2:

Nothing wrong with a feed of garfish. The tailor were only around while still fairly dark. The reddies are dropping off in numbers, the bigger ones were caught one after the other, same piece of squid, then quiet again, must have been swimming together. It's that time of year when the fish start to thin out.

Hey WRXTer,

Mate, get some blades and have a go.

Firstly drop some burley bombs for a few days to concentrate the population/

Let em drop to the bottom and bring em up SLOW with a couple of tiny jerks.

Let me know how you go ...

Lucky bugger waterfront and bream... Swap ya!

When we go down to the hcking we alway spend time slinking around all those pontoons like yours trying to snipe a feed

Chris

Yowie

What's your Bream rig/bait as I see them off my Yowie Bay pontoon all day long but buggered if I can catch them!

Wrxter

Can be a bit hard to catch during the day, better on an overcast day on a rising tide. Night is usually better, as the bream will venture into shallow water. When I lived near Yowie Bay wharf, I found the bream on the rising tide would be feeding against the rock walls in a couple of feet of water at night.

If you live in an area with boat moorings, rocks, oysters, etc, I use 15lb line at night and a no.2 double strength hook, similar to a 9555B pattern with 2 slices in the shank. Seems a bit heavy, but some of the bigger ones will snag you fairly quickly in that sort of territory. Use lighter line if you fish in a snag free area.

During the day, 6lb line is better when you can see what is happening. Sometimes a bigger bait works as the smaller bream can't swallow it straight away, and a bigger one may grab it from the little ones. Other days, nothing works.

I generally use a fish bait at night, salted pieces such as yellowtail, tailor, small tuna, something with a bit of oil and odour.

Berley will get them feeding. An old fisherman's trick was to buy a skinned rabbit, wrap it in wire mesh and tie it close to the wharf with good rope. The bigger bream and other bities will drag it away if not secured. The bream will hang around the smelly bunny, as will many other pests.

Yowie.

Hi yowie that was a quite a good session you had at Lily Pilly :thumbup: catching snapper around that size in the Hacking is a sign that the schools are starting to come in along with the cooler weather..you'd never be sure when the schools would arrive until they appeared in the deep water in Gunnamatta Bay or Burraneer Bay as bi catch during a jewfish session... Most of the sizes were around 25cm up to 30-35 and apart from an occasional humpy snapper being caught in the deep water at any old time, not many fish among the average school even had the early signs of developing a hump.. the deep water among the boats in Gunnamatta Bay and Burraneer Bay during the night was the place to be and they used to come on during the last quarter of a run in tide at night and a run or two and no hook up usually meant tying a trebble off the main hook and using squid strips.. I'm not sure what the school jewfish situation will be like in the Hacking this year but sometimes it was better to start off using the trebble anyway as you often had to be there at low tide in the winter to be able to rely on any sort of a take home bi catch, whereas even at this stage it appears that winter fishing in general is going to be improve out of sight.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi yowie that was a quite a good session you had at Lily Pilly :thumbup: catching snapper around that size in the Hacking is a sign that the schools are starting to come in along with the cooler weather..you'd never be sure when the schools would arrive until they appeared in the deep water in Gunnamatta Bay or Burraneer Bay as bi catch during a jewfish session... Most of the sizes were around 25cm up to 30-35 and apart from an occasional humpy snapper being caught in the deep water at any old time, not many fish among the average school even had the early signs of developing a hump.. the deep water among the boats in Gunnamatta Bay and Burraneer Bay during the night was the place to be and they used to come on during the last quarter of a run in tide at night and a run or two and no hook up usually meant tying a trebble off the main hook and using squid strips.. I'm not sure what the school jewfish situation will be like in the Hacking this year but sometimes it was better to start off using the trebble anyway as you often had to be there at low tide in the winter to be able to rely on any sort of a take home bi catch, whereas even at this stage it appears that winter fishing in general is going to be improve out of sight.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

The biggest reddie I picked up in the last month was 47cm, not big for reddies, but a good size for the Port. Some years back, 2 reddies of 5.5 and 6.5 kgs were reported to have been caught in South West Arm at night. No names, no photos sighted, only a fishing report. An old bloke who died some years ago, who lived next to my fishing mate, stated he caught 20 pound snapper from Gymea Bay in the 1920's, 1930's. Did not land all as the sharks chewed off quite a few. 20 to 30 years ago, the same old bloke pulled out a 55 pound jew on an 8 pound handline, in Gymea Bay.

Jewdreamer and Yowie

Thanks heaps for the tips. I'm interstate at the moment for two weeks working but hanging to get back to try them out. Is a "blade" a type of lure?

Thanks again and I'll certainly let you know of any luck!

Wrxter

Had a fish in Port Hacking this morning. As I was getting the boat ready at my mother's place on Gunnamatta Bay, top of the tide, threw in a line just in case. Pulled out a 39 cm bream, back in for another just over 40cm. Released the second one, big and fat with the blue nose.

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli, 4 tailor to 43cm, 2 reddies 39 and 41cm, 2 trevally about 33 and 38cm (both released) and a metre plus shovelnose (released). A kingie followed up a hooked trevally, looked a bit under size, but did not stay long under the boat.

Yowie.

Wish my mum lived near the water :thumbup: