New Zeland Fishing/surfing/snorkling Trip

Joco

Its been ages since i last posted....

Sorry for neglecting, but never too late to share stories....

All fish below were caught using a light 4-6kg rod, with a 4-6lb mono line, with a 6-8lb mono leader (depending on weather,water/tide etc)....

For blades & hard bodied lures i use a 8lb braid fireline, no leader....

Went to New Zeland, South Island for a 2 week fishing/surfing/snorkling trip with a good friend of mine... He grew up in NZ, but never went fishing, strange!!!

In our travells we stayed in Christchurch, Rangoura, Broken River, Hokitika, Kaikora ....

Managed to fish for trout in many rivers, streams, lakes etc BUT I must say the weather was not on out side...

The Melbourne storm that destroyed majority of the city managed to make its was to where we were staying...

As a result it snowed on us 3 days (unexpected)... We did not have any snow gear and we froze our nockers off...

Many days spent fishing were wet, windy, and COLD......

We retired early each day to go back to the batch and warm up with some turps....

First time to fly fishing and i must say i pulled up ok.... Very frustrating though, as you have to watch out for rocks, trees, shrubs, wind factor, waves, water movement and the unexpected things that go wrong, such as hooking yourself :)

As a result i went back to what im good at and managed to score a few with my eggbeater.....

Broken River - Caught half a dozen of Rainbow Trout

newzelandfishingtrip166.jpg

51cm Rainbow Trout (mind you this is small for a NZ trout)

newzelandfishingtrip270.jpg

51cm Rainbow Trout

newzelandfishingtrip283.jpg

Managed to land my first Salmon

newzelandfishingtrip303.jpg

Yummmy, who feels like sushi/sushimi, especially after a trout has eaten over a dozen mice....

newzelandfishingtrip55.jpg

Of course Trout dont always eat mice, Not when rat is on the menu!!!!!

newzelandfishingtrip57.jpg

Hit the local Waimak River in Christchurch for the SAlmon run and managed a beauty.... Approx 8kg/16pounds...

newzelandfishingtrip313.jpg

newzelandfishingtrip318.jpg

Met a few locals where we we staying, Went diving for some local lobster (crayfish) and abalone

Not bad for a few hours of work... Spent days eating lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner....

newzelandfishingtrip410.jpg

MAssive abalone (paua)....

newzelandfishingtrip430.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4378/newzelandfishingtrip434.jpg

Sushimi lobster

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4435/newzelandfishingtrip440.jpg

Lobster morney my style

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5138/newzelandfishingtrip490.jpg

Went rock, hopping/fishing, amongst cutting our feet on the sharp rocks we managed to pull out dozens of local OZ salmon... Beutiful eating; raw salmon, mixed with fresh vegies and coconut cream...

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6624/newzelandfishingtrip472.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2690/newzelandfishingtrip476.jpg

You certainly got the best out of your holiday over in New Zealand Joco..I like the look of all those lobsters and the abolone too and by the look of it that oversize freshwater salmon would have certainly given you a fair bit of curry and a lot of running to do on the light gear ay..

I must say I thought that mice had more brains than to cross over a stream where they're likely to get eaten but it looks as though the trout over there in New Zealand are particularly observant and certainly seem to make up for the lack of snakes over there.. I wonder how many of the locals over there eat any undigested mice they encounter along with the roe these days :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

You certainly got the best out of your holiday over in New Zealand Joco..I like the look of all those lobsters and the abolone too and by the look of it that oversize freshwater salmon would have certainly given you a fair bit of curry and a lot of running to do on the light gear ay..

I must say I thought that mice had more brains than to cross over a stream where they're likely to get eaten but it looks as though the trout over there in New Zealand are particularly observant and certainly seem to make up for the lack of snakes over there.. I wonder how many of the locals over there eat any undigested mice they encounter along with the roe these days :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

HEHEHEH, it did not cross my mind that a trout would eat a rat/mice :1yikes: let alone have over a dozen in its belly ....

I was keen to eat the NZ trout sushimi/sushi style, BUT had to think about it twice :biggrin2:

To tell you the truth i was dissapointed with the Salmon fight on light gear, must be the cold water being 10 degrees celcius COLD that slowed it down....

Edited by Joco

Wow!! Looks like you've had a terrific time over there, Joco!!! bet you are already planning your next trip!

NZ Mice plagues are famous for GIANT trout!! It doesn't happen very often, apparantly - maybe every 10 years, so you were very lucky to be there when it was on! THose fish look in terrific condtion.

Well done on getting into the atlantic salmon too!! They would have given you some stick, especially that BIG one!!!

The crays & Abalone is famous too! nice eating!

Cheerio

Roberta

who needs a float, just put your hook through the mouse skin and cast it in the middle of the water, it will swim around on the surface :074: On a serious not I wouldn't be doing that.

Great trip matey