Huge Day Fishing!

tide'n'knots

Gday raiders, I am on holidays at the moment until wednesday next week and had planned to fish the hawkesbury, and harbour while I am off but I have been unable to fish as much as I would have liked because of the strong wind over the last couple of days, but yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and put up with it as I couldnt stand pacing around the house and peeking outside to see if the trees were still swaying any longer.

Got up at 4am and headed off to brooklyn with my girlfriend and hit the water right on sunrise. We tried different spots and wasted almost 1kg of good squid baits to catfish, undersize bream and flathead,eels,shovelnose sharks, portjacksons and dreaded green toads that eventually ended up costing me a decent jew later in the day. We eventually tried a spot not far from the rail bridge on the bend of the river right on low tide at around 3pm and we picked up 7 nice bream amongst all the crap including the largest green toad that I have ever seen that spat the hook at the boat, it would have been 60cm long and as round as a bucket, it had teeth that would have bitten a finger clean off!About 1 hour after the turn one of the jew rods baited up with one of the last squid left, buckled over and started to take drag. I picked the rod up out of the rod holder and everything went light.........grrrrrrr! at closer inspection I discovered that the toads had bitten the line in several spots and when I took the weight of the fish the leader couldnt take the strain and snapped! To say I was filthy would be an understatement!

Back at the ramp as we were cleaning the catch the wind had died off to almost nothing so I decided to ring my mate joe and see if he was keen to meet me for a night session on the harbour, he said yes, so I drove home for about 1 1/2 hours had a quick shower to freshen up scoffed some lovely chicken kiev that my lovely girlfriends daughter had put in the oven for me as I was driving home, and headed off for round 2.

Got to the spot around 9pm and we decided to try a new spot that looked a bit fishy and it turned out to be a good move. After about 1 hour one of my rods buckled and line started to pour off the reel zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I picked the rod up and line was still screaming from a very solid fish that felt up around the 20lb mark at a guess then ......Oh NO!!! everything went light and the hooks pulled! I was starting to wonder if I had killed a chinaman - 2 jew in the same day and it wasnt looking as though I was going to have any luck at all with the jew.

About 1/2 hour later I was on again this time the fish went bezerk swimming every direction very fast and had me baffled as to what I had hooked it ended up being a salmon about 55cm. I rebaited and sat back for about 10mins, the the rod bent over again, and this time it was a jew, no where near as big as the one I had just lost but at least it was the right species. About 64cm of beautiful silver hit the deck and I felt a little better now. Half an hour went by and I landed another jew around 60cm and joe was calling me every b##stard he could, as he hadnt had a touch except for a nice bream that he caught earlier!(all in good fun of course).We pulled the pin around 11.30pm and I sort of had mixed emotions, happy on one hand that I finally caught the species that I had targeted but still a little dissapointed that I had dropped 2 good fish, particularly the second fish.

pete.

post-8689-127380950589_thumb.jpg

the bream caught at brooklyn

post-8689-127380953462_thumb.jpg

salmon and 64cm jew

post-8689-127380955296_thumb.jpg

the night catch.

Edited by tide'n'knots

It's always the case, isn't it Pete? The 'rubbish' and undersized all seem to make it comfortably to the boat, and the one damn fish you want disappointingly eludes you :ranting2: Ah well, that's fishing. You still managed to salvage the sessions with a good feed mate, and time spent on the water with the GF and mates is good times. Hopefully there's a crackin' jewy waiting for you before you head back to work. Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

GR8 WORK, BLOKE.

I live up the Central Coast, and fish Lake Macquarie, I have never put it in @ the Hawkesbury, but after reading a couple fishing mags' and your post.........

I'm thinking I should have a crack at it.

Hi Pete,

Your report makes me feel like kicking myself now for not coming out with you.

I have felt the same way lately (pacing around the house) as not much work but lots of other S##t going on in life that has me wondering WTF

Those 10 keggers have been elusive and they are slppery customers. You must have been in the harbour coz MH seems dead for anything other than little soapies and havent caught one now for months.

Cheers.

Nice fish - although you missed a couple of good ones persistance definately paid off. Most people would have called it a day after the Hawkesbury session and went home for a warm shower, a feed and a nice cold :beersmile:

well done

gav

Nice result on the jew Peter :thumbup: along with a few nice bream for the table as well. Shame about the leader giving way during a decent sort of a run.. nevertheless in case you happen to hook up that one jewfish of a lifetime for instance it pays to always change the leader before you bait up as soon feel any roughness in the leader line at all and especially after catching an eel.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Nice result on the jew Peter :thumbup: along with a few nice bream for the table as well. Shame about the leader giving way during a decent sort of a run.. nevertheless in case you happen to hook up that one jewfish of a lifetime for instance it pays to always change the leader before you bait up as soon feel any roughness in the leader line at all and especially after catching an eel.

Cheers

gday byron,

mate it totally took me by surprise when the leader broke because I hadnt actually caught anything on that particular rod but the toads must have bitten it at some stage as there were nip marks at the bottom of the leader, unless it was another massive toad that swallowed the bait and took off at a great rate of knots, I reckon the one we caught earlier would have weighed about 6lb and fought like a fish and didnt fill itself up with water and come up like a full bucket. - who knows! unfortunately it wasnt on the hook long enough to work out what it was but the initial run had jew written all over it,

pete.

gday byron,

mate it totally took me by surprise when the leader broke because I hadnt actually caught anything on that particular rod but the toads must have bitten it at some stage as there were nip marks at the bottom of the leader, unless it was another massive toad that swallowed the bait and took off at a great rate of knots, I reckon the one we caught earlier would have weighed about 6lb and fought like a fish and didnt fill itself up with water and come up like a full bucket. - who knows! unfortunately it wasnt on the hook long enough to work out what it was but the initial run had jew written all over it,

pete.

Is this the same species of toad fish that you are referring to Peter? this particular green toad was caught in the Hawkesbury by jewdreamer in a double hook up with a catfish during a jew session we had just behind a reef back in January.. Jewdreamer boated his green toad not long after Cungee George caught a green toad that appeared to be at least 4 kilos.. toads usually appear to run hand in hand in deep water with the other late run out tide scavengers and like leather jackets green toads do some damage to the leader everytime you catch one ...

Cheers

post-829-127383462836_thumb.jpg

wow :1yikes: talk about keen as eh..

well done on getting yr target fish.............................eventually..

persistence it is eh,even if ya have to change waterways to do it :074: .

i prob woulda slabbed that salmon and put it straight back down,

shame about those damn toads costing ya a good fish...

its amazing how different the 2 waterways are.

hawks gets plagued by pests but gen has better sized jew and syd harbour is sooo much different.

well done..

cheers....steve......