My First King Fish, Finally!

Joco

Hello raiders....

This morning, for those that reside in Sydney, will know that there was plenty of rain throughout the day.... :1badmood::ranting2:

Rain, hail or shine, my friend and I are keen for a fish and don’t allow the weather to scare us.... :biggrin2:

Using my usual setup (2-4kg rod, 4 lb MONO line, small eggbeater, 3g jig head, plastics) we started landing the usual suspects....

All of a sudden, I was on and I knew it was something solid... :thumbup:

The first run said it all, followed by another good dozen runs, I started to lost plenty of line....

Obviously at this stage i started to worry and questioned myself "will i ever pull this thing out of the water and will it cut through my 4lb line???"....

I managed to avoid being spulled, and the small reel was working overtime and was screaming like hell.....

Thinking it would tire after 10min i tightened the reel and started to pull the brick towards me...

Felt like dead weight, especially on light gear.... The 4 lb MONO line was being pushed to its limits, and this was evident by the squealing sound (maybe wind factor) coming from the line being tightened and stretched....

There were plenty of hairy moments using this technique just to land the fish.....

FINALLY I managed to pull it up to the boat and seeing it was a Kingy i had the biggest smile from one ear to another... :1yikes::yahoo:

ANOTHER hairy moment was when my mate managed to miss on numerous occasions, landing the fish in the net, a total of x3 times… Think he was doing it on purpose….

After a few photos and realising it was only 60cm, it was released to live another day....

Hope it will survive, had to cut the line since it swalloed the whole plastic/jig head....

richardboat117.jpg

richardboat119.jpg

Aw man, that is sensational! Goes to show, there is fish to be had even in crappy weather.

BTW, is that a rain jacket and if so, where did you get it? I am really keen to head out but have no rain gear.

Thanks,

4lb mono!!!!! :1yikes:

That's an achievement in it's self well done on your 1st kingy just goes to show with the right skills and patience you can achieve anything.

I have only landed kingies on 30lb mono and 40lb leader and some people out there use 80lb and above even though the fish you caught was 60cm they are more than capable at that size look forward to seeing more of your posts...

Regards,

Nathan

Joco - congratulations on your first Kingie, and it is always when you not targeting them (I assume you weren't deliberately targeting Kingies on bream gear!!). To take that fish on 4lb mono is an outstanding effort :thumbup: and I can only imagine the tension as the net missed to fish the second time :1yikes:

Thanks for the posts, hopefully ill be landing some legal kingies soon as my mate and i are buying/researching/setting up NEW equipment for jigging king fish of the reefs outside of Botany Bay (unless someone has secret spots they would like to share).....

@ beginner - Like you mentioned patience was the key to pull the kingie out with the 4 lb mono....

@ Big_Muskellunge - YES its a rain jacket and i got it from my dad, who gets it from work.... Many have asked me to get then the same jacket!!!! Dont know what all the fuss is about..... Its a pretty funky jacket i must say, that can be dismantelled in 3 pieces.... A vest jacket, then you can zip/attach long sleaves, and in addition a water/wind proof material linning that goes over the jacket (which is that orange thingy in the photo).....

@ bluebottle18 - Call me next time and ill show you ;)

BTW - If anyone is going out for a fish and needs company or a hand, let me know.... More then happy to join ANY day of the week....

Well done JOCOthumbup.gif

What a great session and Congrats on the breaking the Kingy drought.

Were the Bream and Trevs caught the same way?

I'm trying try to get out next week sometime and have a crack.

Well done JOCOthumbup.gif

What a great session and Congrats on the breaking the Kingy drought.

Were the Bream and Trevs caught the same way?

I'm trying try to get out next week sometime and have a crack.

YES all the fish were caught the came way....

When you go, let me know and ill tag along :)

Good effort once more on the lures Joco and congratulations on catching you first kingfish on a lure :thumbup: Have you ever thought that if you keep on doing so well on these artificials there's always the chance that you'll never catch anything whatsoever using bait :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks once again, ILL BE GOING TOMORROW MORNING DOING IT ALL AGAIN... :biggrin2: SORRY to rub it in, for those that are working tomorrow....

Fingers crossed i break a few more PB's, and to catch another kingie would be great.... Very addictive on light gear....

BTW - IF you fellas see a bloke with an ORANGE jacket, flicking plastics of a boat in Botany Bay, make sure you come and say hallo.....

Have you ever thought that if you keep on doing so well on these artificials there's always the chance that you'll never catch anything whatsoever using bait :biggrin2:

HAHAHAH so true, never though about it that way....