Hello People, Newbie

sebastianlopez

hello raiders,

i'm new to this site and this is my little set up, i use it for everything lol and yes i know my main line is overkill.....

rod: shimano Backbone 2-4kg

reel: Fin Nor Fin-ite 302

line: 20 lbs online shop colourful braid, with 4.5kg florocarbon leader

please dont be to harsh

welcome,

im new to this site as well.

i think you mat snap your rod at 4kg when bent over,before your 20lb braid would break.assuming you may hook a fish capable of breaking 20ld braid.

or;

i mean to say a small plate fish may not damage your rod,just be aware of snapping rod before your line if you bully a good fish

edit;;im a little weary n overlooked that youre using a light leader,probably you are for the above reasons

natho

Edited by nathan1971

Welcome to the site, wish i had a stella :1welcomeani:

No one is likely to be harsh around here. Lots of people with lots of different levels of experience and ways of going fishing. The only thing that matters is that you enjoy yourself and you can even do that with a stick, some string and a bent safety pin if you like :biggrin2:

Hope we get to read about some of your fishy adventures sometime.

Cheers, Slinky

thanks for that slinky, at least now i know i wont get my head bitten off for doing something stupid lol and hope that people can lead me along the right track....

and :1welcomeani: nathan, yea the only problem i have is for some fish the leader is a bit to light and i just get bitten off or the hook up wasnt good :1badmood:

Hey mate, I am not going to be harsh, there is nuthin wrong with ya setup- but as a suggestion for a 2-4kg rod I'd be using MAX of 12lb mainline and then use a 6-8lb flouro or mono leader.

I fish Parra and Lane Cove Rivers with 1-3kg rod and 8lb mono straight through- I regularly nail bream to 40cm and other goodies like Whiting, Flatties and have even hooekd a few jewies on this outfit (but the jewies either dusted me or spat the hooks before I could strike), and even trolling have landed Salmon to 70cm on the same outfit, never changed line, have been bitten off only by taylor and the occasional jewie.

Again it depends on what you are casing a more suitable rod for what line and reel you are using would be a 3-5kg or even a 5-8kg with a soft tip (like an ugly stik or similar).

... Still though as slinky said the important thing is you have fun, if you fish light rigs or unweighted in the rivers and estuaries you will consistently get fish, but you might need to drop your leader to 6lb or 8lb to get consistent hookups- sure you might get a dusting every now and then by bigger fish but thats part of fishing - and what give you experience and once you get dusted a few times you learn pretty quickly how to handle bigger fish- and the cool thing with fishing is you never stop learning and refining your techniques and there are always new places to try and different species to target- there is a plethora of info here and also on the internet as a whole so get out there and start doing- you will be rewarded soon eneough!

Tight lines mate

Anthony

:)

Edited by wannabefisho

always have fun fishing :yahoo:

so i should fish with lighter main line for the rod im using, if not use a heaver rod. the same goes with the leader, lighter the leader the less the fish will see depending on the species im chasing.....

cheers thanks for that guys :biggrin2:

learn something new everyday :thumbup: