Jewie Session 5/6/10 My First Jew!

DGF

Hey guys, ive been chasing the illicit jew for what feels like forever with no success so ive been heading out every saturday with my mate IVZ350 "Ivan" to hunt the jews of georges river now we've been for chasing them for every saturday for 3 weeks now and each time we had lost the jews at the boat and one wrapped around the burley pot n free'd, But this time i had figured id get a new net with a longer handle and wider net, So Ivan and his mate bazza and I headed out to sylvania hole in the wall at around 3 in the arvo yesturday no boat traffic weather looked to be clearing a lil bit and the run off tide had just started, launched the boat got out to capt cook bridge and started to pick out a hole on the sounder found a nice lil hole under the bridge awaye from wind+rain if weather changed so we were cheering.

Started a lil burley trail, dropped in our lines and the wait began about 30-40 mins in we Ivan pulls in a big octopus after beating its head in a bit (or tenderizing it) it was safe to put in the bucket without it crawling its way out. With heaps of runs and missed hookups we were about to give in and sound out another holeso we gave it another 15 mins, 4 minutes into that 15 minutes my Exceller starts screaming!!!! IM ON! I YELL, After a short tussle i see some colour and a big mouth out of the water about 5 mtrs away and i start thinking big flathead? Ivan says NOPE ITS A JEW he could tell by the eyes! as it comes closer i see its purply pinkish silverish colour we net him up on the deck she goes AND HIGH FIVES ALL AROUND MY FIRST EVER JEW!!!!!!!!! i had a massive smile on my face all night after that we measure him up at 68cm and est weight around 4-5kg it was FAT! into the esky that one goes after few snaps! then my bait runner starts to sing so i grab that and set the hook another JEW! but a 50cm soapie still a keeper with the net on its way in i say bugger it and just high stick that one into the boat as it took the heaviest outfit with 60lb braid and 80lb top shot with 60lb leader, i figured it didnt really have a chance and as that hit the deck the hook came out and i relised how close i was to loosing that, so the decision to move was now void, with few hrs passing and a heap of runs i manage to hook up another octopus only this time this occy was a lil greedy and grabbed a nice blue swimmer crab on its way up n killed it! Ivan grabs the net and nets him straight away before the occy could drop the blueswimmer and landed 2 for the price of one!

I took home the bigger jew and ivan took the occy's and the 50cm jew n the crab as i was happy enough with just that one! Ran into my house at 3am got into my room carrying my jewwie in hand with my wife still awake i show her my prize :D and get yelled at for dripping blood n stuff across the house HAHA

So, i have ripped the 2 lil jewels from his head as a small trophy from my first ever jew!!!

PICS WILL COME AS SOON AS I HAVE RECEIVED THEM FROM MY MATE AS I FORGOT MY CAMERA *DOH*

well done on the first jew!! now the bug has bitten and u will be out chasing them for a lifetime! definetly my favourite to target its funny how u said once u landed the hook just droped out after that happening to me i have upgraded my hooks to gamakatsu as ive had that happen a few times with jews. makes u think wow i only just had that fish.

cant wait to see the photo's :thumbup:

awesome nights fishing bro :thumbup: told ya it was only a matter of time for the Jew for ya :biggrin2: lets get out there and chase the big mofo were both after now :1fishing1: gona get bazza to send me those pics and il post 'em up :biggrin2:

Good read, and I'm happy for you mate on you Jewie's.

It wasn't that long ago I read a report of a guy who woke his missus up in the night after landing a beach jew and getting yelled at also.

I promise myself I'll do the same if I catch one at night and she's in bed.

Well done.

Was a good night gents, big thanks for takin me along :D and congrats again for ya 1st jew :D

Thought id chuck ur photo's up for ya ;)

On the braggy

05062010013.jpg

After a good fight, the jew couldnt resist a hard earned drink

05062010014.jpg

Proud father rofl ;)

ArronsJewie.jpg

Well done Aaron & Ivan persistance generally pays off. Good to see you boys braving the weather.

No news on the yellowfin at the moment as you know with the bad weather. Mike did a exploritory trip out last week with a couple of mates but didn't see any fin. The water is cooling down though so hopefully with some better weather they will turn up.

T-shirts & DVD's will be posted out tomorrow as I just finished the second DVD last night and Mike is picking them up tonight. Hope you enjoy the DVDs.

Boonga

Hey DGF,

Well done mate. If you want jewfish you have to be committed and stick it out and sounds like u did that and scored. Each time you learn more even if you dont get one. Once you do there is no looking back. Nice looking jewies you got. The bigger net with a long handle is a must. I have one and even though its a pain in the boat with limited space you wont regret it when you get descent fish up near the boat. Love it when they spit the hook once decked although it shows sometimes how lucky you can get. I always like to take note of how they are hooked as there is something to be learnt there in terms of hooks. The other day i was missing hook ups on good takes so changed hook and straight away i was landing kings. For me i like the smallest hook i can get away with but its risky.

Cheers

Mike

both were on pillies i had few squid chomped in half missing both hooks though and also one occy was on caught on squid other on pillies and one i droped at the end of the night was also on pillie

congrats on the jew. im shore many know and share the same feelin of many a hour spent chasin the elusive. well done n hang in there. i hear the georges is fishin pretty well for jews these days. persistance n time is the key!!