Jindabyne Fly Fishing Trip 4/6/10-6/6/10

Hi Fellow Raiders

We(PK and I) left Sydney early Friday 4th for Jindabyne for a rendezvous with our mate,Pat, the "fly fishing guru". We leave a very wet Sydney behind and as we pass Goulburn the rain finally stops but the skies are still grey, that is untill we get to Cooma where the first rays of sunshine appears and things starts to brighten up so to speak.

We stock up on ammunition at the place just out of Cooma (on the left hand side) and I pick up some black woolly buggers and glow bugs as per Pat's instruction and then ring Pat to announce our ETA. Pat gives us directions to the lodge at Jindi. We arrived at the lodge around noon and have a quick bite whilst Pat gives a brief summary of his recent fishing on the Thredbo river. Our appetite grew with each tale of Pat's exploits. I am a fly fishing novice, never ever having hooked a trout on fly, let alone land one, whilst Pat was the guru. The trip had been arranged months before and the deal was for the guru to impart his expertise so that I could finally join "the club" and land my first trout on fly. I had been semi-seriously fly fishing over the last 2 seasons but had been doing it without expert guidance and was a pretty poor fly fisher. I had previously caught trout trolling, spinning and with power bait but never on the fly rod and on this trip I was to only bring a fly rod. The challenge was on. My other mate PK was not a fisho but a man who enjoyed the outdoors and had never been to Jindabyne, he also had a new camera that he wanted to play with. So at Jindabyne, there was something for everyone.

We headed for Gadens and parked near Paddys pool and headed for Pat's "secret spots". Pat polaroids some Browns and gets me in the water, the water is just above freezing but the neoprene waders works a treat and prevents any frost bite in my lower limbs.

Fly fishing is not easy. post-2393-127617372695_thumb.jpg, Bugger another wooly bugger and glow bug in the branches. Well back to the class room.

I persevere and I persevere but this fly fishing is difficult. I cast and I cast but this fish is proving difficult. Pat calls me out of the water and we have a hot coffee break. My spirits and resolve are rejuvenated with the caffeine and in the water I go again.

Hooray, I shout, I am on!!! I am on!!! I am on!!! I shout. Pat tells me to take it easy and calm down and to let the rod and reel do all the work and walk the fish towards him as he has the net. After about 3-4 mins, Pat nets the objective of the weekend and hands it over to me. I walk over towards the bank with a huge grin and disentangle the fish for the photo shoot with PK. The fish is released, it was a brown and measured 35cm.

post-2393-127617520948_thumb.jpgpost-2393-12761752313_thumb.jpg

post-2393-127617525419_thumb.jpgpost-2393-127617528931_thumb.jpg

We head home for the obligatory beer and red wine with the fire place lit, before a home cooked dinner. Geez it's a tough life this trout fishing.post-2393-127617550582_thumb.jpg.

The next day was a late start as the 3 of us had a bit to drink the night before, as it was thirsty work, this trout fishing. So after brekkie, we arrived near Paddys corner at 10am and walked and walked and walked till we hit the lake shores, fishing along the way whenever the opportunity presented itself. Yours truly ended the day with another Brown, but this was a keeper at 53cm (although Pat the guru did better with his 57cm)

This is my 53cm post-2393-127617593543_thumb.jpg. This is Pat's 57cm.post-2393-127617599975_thumb.jpg.

The boys had more to drink that night and before I knew it, I was in bed with a "53cm boy" wrapped in plastic. I must have had a bl@#dy lot to drink or the boys must've spiked my drink for me to end up in this compromising position.post-2393-127617633192_thumb.jpg.

ps that's a vacuumed pack of Pat's filleted trout near my head in bed

Trout flyfishing is bl@#dy difficult but it's a fantastic experience and sport! Try it.

Regards Kit/PK/Pat

Well done on a great report and well done on landing your first trout on fly :thumbup:

It looks like it is a beautiful area down there.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It was a great trip, and Pat's expert guidance was invaluable to me in snaring my 2 fish. I did lose another bigger fish when through inexperience, I exerted too much pressure on the fly reel(I was palming it) and the hook pulled. But the camaraderie and the location and the time of year made this a truly memorable trip. Obviously the "sleeping with the fish in bed" picture was posed, to get a laugh from friends and family. Next year's Fly fishing trip has been penciled into the diary and the usual suspects booked.

Regards Kit

Awesome report, made me very envious, especially since I went trouting that Friday 4/6 (during all the rain)in the new england tablelands and got wetter than i do when I go surfing.

I saw a lot of good looking trout water around Ebor but most of it was the wrong side of live(yes I tested) electric fences, and whilst I did manage several hours spinning with small minnows I saw little evidence of the existance of trout much less hits.

On the way home on saturday I fared slightly better around Walcha. After stopping at the garage and asking about access to rivers where I didn't have to cross private land I wwas informed of the public stock reserves along the MacDonald and Cobrabald Rivers where I ventured without luck due to the volume of brown water flowing after the day before's deluge. I did however see fish, Platypus and water rats and had a couple of hits on my lure.

And I know where to start nest time!

Building up the knowledge required to successfully fish for trout in rivers and creeks looks like it could be life-long learning curve, especially when you live in Sydney.

Keen to try fly-fishing one day, have seen guys targeting Bream in Narrabeen lake during summer.

Adious,

Fisheroudge.

Awesome report, made me very envious, especially since I went trouting that Friday 4/6 (during all the rain)in the new england tablelands and got wetter than i do when I go surfing.

I saw a lot of good looking trout water around Ebor but most of it was the wrong side of live(yes I tested) electric fences, and whilst I did manage several hours spinning with small minnows I saw little evidence of the existance of trout much less hits.

On the way home on saturday I fared slightly better around Walcha. After stopping at the garage and asking about access to rivers where I didn't have to cross private land I wwas informed of the public stock reserves along the MacDonald and Cobrabald Rivers where I ventured without luck due to the volume of brown water flowing after the day before's deluge. I did however see fish, Platypus and water rats and had a couple of hits on my lure.

And I know where to start nest time!

Building up the knowledge required to successfully fish for trout in rivers and creeks looks like it could be life-long learning curve, especially when you live in Sydney.

Keen to try fly-fishing one day, have seen guys targeting Bream in Narrabeen lake during summer.

Adious,

Fisheroudge.

Hi Fisheroudge

Yes, the brown water after the deluge does not help in trout fishing, and yes it was a very wet weekend all over the state (except in the Snowie). I am only a novice at fly fishing but it is very relaxing and addictive. It helps me focus and concentrate on the one target whereas when I'm spinning and bait fishing my mind does tend to wander and day dream. I intent to salt water fly for bream/flaties/whiting over the next few weeks as I am getting the hang of it and have the bug. I was also fortunate to have a good expert fly fishing partner with me to coach me and who knew the river like the back of his hand.

Try Lake Lyell and Thompson Creek Dam(~3hr drive) if you are looking at something closer to Sydney. The Thredbo river is particularly beautiful in May/June.

Regards Kit

Congratulations on your superb 1st and 2nd trout on fly, Kit!! That was a terrific result - you were so lucky to have Pat guiding you to the spots & talking you thru the presentation & landing of your trout! That 53cm one is a ripper!!! Like you, I'd been down to Jindy & was fishless for the first few trips ..... finally broke the drought last Dec with my friend Kim from Canberra~!

Well done - you'll have the smile on the dial for some time to come, I reckon!!

CHeerio

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...