Boat Trailer Service

hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to get my boat trailer serviced around the penrith area....had a tyre shred on the M2 last night and ended up driving on the rim so thought it a good time to get all the brakes and bearings checked as i have no idea how to do it...had just put mag wheels on the trailer aswell with new tryes so not sure what could have caused it a mate of mine said prob just bad luck and got a puncture and had been driving on it for a bit to cause it to shred off...any other thoughts ?

Any good mechanical workshop would be able to perform what you are after.

If I had more time on my hands then I would tell you to pop it around to my place and I would do it for you...

I would say that your mate is right and that you were driving on a flat tyre.

If you have a large boat make sure that the tyres are rated properly for the wieght.. not all boat trailer have the correct tyres..as for service .. a good mechanic will do it.. but it would pay you to learn .. it is very easy and can only take a couple of hours to do the whole thing

G/day T-DOG.

As Yarrone said it would pay you to learn,in the long run it will cost

a lot having all the little jobs done by mek-a-mecks.anything your not sure about the

raiders will help out.Or you can check on internet everything is there.

It is generally strange the first time,but you pick it up real quick.

Cheers Rick.

yeah bearings are so easy to do almost foolproof..and as long as I said before that you have the right tyres for your size boat.. the rest is easy.. just general maintance and keeping your eye open...not much more can go wrong other than bearings and electrics.. anything else is just one of those things, that you have to look for..

yeah bearings are so easy to do almost foolproof..and as long as I said before that you have the right tyres for your size boat.. the rest is easy.. just general maintance and keeping your eye open...not much more can go wrong other than bearings and electrics.. anything else is just one of those things, that you have to look for..

I agree totally with everything yarraone has said.

Trailers ARE the simplest of mechanics and u only have to watch somebody do it it once and u'll be away. I have Bloopin to thank for my knowledge and really, its not hard. Routine maintenance and checks, keep an eye out and listen for unusual noises etc while towing and you will soon realise when and what needs attention.

Musty

T-Dog Generally speaking I agree with the others regarding the bearings. You mention brakes in your post.

If they are the standard mechinal brakes the calipers need to be removed to enable the hubs to come off.

This is not a big job , each caliper is held on with 2 X 16mm bolts. These need to be removed & the brake cable disconnected.

When serviceing , ensure the 2 X 16mm bolts & sleves are cleaned & lubricated with marine grease.

Further information can be found in the forum section, "The Workshop" . There are 2 posts by Boofhead which are worth reading

The member responses to this post may also be of interest

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=48157

If you decide to take it to a mechinic I suspect the job will cost around $200 - $250 as there is a fair bit of labour especially when brakes are involved.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff