Snapper Soft Plastics Rod

jordan.widz

Hi guys,

I've recently been looking around for a new snapper rod (spin) and would like a bit of info on what i should possible get. Something around $200 would be good.

If you could tell me a bit about how heavy or light i should go and if you have any personal favorites youv'e been using tell me about them. Just so Ii can make the right decision on what to get before i go out there and buy one.

Cheers,

Prawn Star

G'day Prawn Star,

Everyone has their own preferences but I personally like a slightly longer rod for Snapper plastics work. The extra casting distance (and it makes a significant difference) from a 7'6 or even 8' rod gives a lot more fishing time on each drift.

A Berkley Drop Shot is a great rod to start out with... excellent value for money. Don't know if they're still on the market but I have a 7'6" 4-8kg stick that's a gem. My own #1 outfit recently has been an 8' Daiwa Sol 8-17lb but its more expensive. I've also just picked up a 7'11" Lox 4-7kg and a Lox 7'9" 2-5kg (my trusty 7' 2-5 is fantastic for light Snapper plasticing but I wanted the extra length).

In the 7' range you might be able to find a T-Curve for a little over $200 which I'd also recommend highly. I haven't fished with Starlo Stix or Raiders for snapper but they've got great reputations.

I usually take 2 outfits with me chasing Snapper... one in the 8kg range matched with 20lb braid (or sometimes 30lb) on a 4000 reel; and one in the 5-6kg range matched with a 2500 reel and using 10-15lb braid. When I can get away with it I prefer the lighter outfit... just coz it's more fun. When the water gets deeper (say over 10m), the jig heads get bigger or the reefs get uglier, I switch to the heavier outfit.

Now... if only I could work out how to get through the Tweed bar more easily so I could chase them more often... :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

ive been considering which rod to get for my first graphite.though i will enter the market for one around $100 -$130.preferences of fishos on line seem to be pflueger strudwick and berkley.looked at that range with others today and found these to be not soft like other rods in the shop.those stronger/harder rods were the ones i like myself better so a look instore certainly tied it up for me.

• 3 weeks later...

For smaller ones I use anything from my 1-4kg T-Curve Flight, to my Berkley Dropshot Diablo, all on Stradic Ci4's with 10lbs Castaway PE.

The Dropshot Diablo's are great, and are really powerful rods for their line weight. They aren't as tip soft as other flick sticks, but that works well when casting heavier jigheads around. My 2-4 kg (7'2" long)stick could be rated as 3-6 kg, honestly. Get one in 4-8 kg, and you'll knock over any snapper in the ocean, though I'd switched to 20lbs line on a 4000 sized reel then.

For the price they are well appointed, with a split butt set-up so you can get the butt under your arm, good EVA grips, Fuji hooded reel seat, IM-7 blank (quick recovery), and Fuji SiC guides, for $195!!! I shopped around and found another for $120. Great bang for buck in my opinion.

After that, I'd go with a 4-8 kg Shimano Raider or even the humble Starlo Stix......

Pat

Thanks guys for all the great advice and comments :thumbup: , after much looking through the berkley, diawa and shimano range I decided to go with the shimano raider snapper hvy 701 - 5-10kg. i got the slightly heavier one so I can use it for many other pelagics such as jews, kings, dollies and of cause snapper. I was a bit worried that getting the heavier model that I wouldn't be able to cast 1/4 - 1/8 jigheads as far but it doesn't seem to have any worries as I have already been practicing casting them down the street and it goes great with my Seido 4000 FA :biggrin2:

Edited by Prawn Star