Harbour Bream

tide'n'knots

gday raiders, I fished the harbour around iron cove last night at a spot i have been eyeing off for a while and suspected that it would fire for bream and I was right. The method used was to burley with bread and then use a peeled prawn on a hook with a very small ball sinker on the hook. I finished up with 11 bream the smallest being 27cm and the largest 34cm with most of the fish averaging 30cm, I also released 5 legal bream around 25-26cm and several others undersize. I dropped a rather large fish early in the session and my girlfriend lost a big one around the anchor rope.

Around midnight we were getting ready to go when I got what looked like a good bream bite and when I hooked up I knew straight away that this fish was larger than anything so far. It swam towards me at first and then went straight past me and kept going on a big head shaking run for about 70mtrs that had the rod bent over like a long piece of spaghetti and the reel was screaming! I was using 12lb mono so I figured that I was a fair chance of landing the fish as long as i didnt panic and force the issue. eventually I started gaining line after several minutes of slugging it out with the fish out wide, and when the fish was only about 5mtrs from the boat it turned and ran again, then suddenly I felt sick as everything went light!! I wound in the line to find an empty hook - It had pulled.

The fish was certainly one of my better jew and I estimated it to be somewhere around the 20lb mark going on the pulling power and the way it fought. The air was blue for several minutes after that and I reckon you could have heard me swearing and cursing all the way to the opera house. I just couldnt relax and keep fishing after that so I packed up and went home quite disgusted!

I have dropped about 10 or 12 good jew in the last 6mths due to hooks pulling out and a couple of them were crackers - i reckon I am due for a change of luck with the bigguns, oh well at least the bream spot fired!

pete.

this was the entire catch of bream

post-8689-127719408177_thumb.jpg

post-8689-1277194094_thumb.jpg

Edited by tide'n'knots

Since netting has been banned in this area the size of fish and the variety you can catch in that area has improved out of site.

It will become a hot spot if it is not now. Once the road works is finished it will get very crowded in summer as it is very protected.

Great catch and its good to see you have a keen partner to share great times. Hope you continue to build on your catch.

Well done on the breambos, Pete - shame Rosetta dropped the nice fish - nice of you to do the same, so she didn't feel alone in losing a nice fish! :wacko:

Only kidding!! I would have been spewing!! :mad3::thumbdown::1badmood::mad3::05:

Have you tried the fine 'circle hooks'? They almost always hook in the corner of the mouth & usually stay hooked! I am pretty certain that Black Magic make some quite fine ones that would do the trick!

Better luck next time - shame I couldn't be there! One day, I will!

Cheerio

Roberta

Pete,

Well done on the Brembos but I tell you what that Jew would have been a trophy by the sounds of it keep at it you have landed biggons before Mate I am 100% sure you can do it again maybe set-up 2 Jew rods one with your usual setup the one you showed me and another one with the fine circle hooks that Roberta mentioned I have heard a few people recommending them that way your chances are increased as for Me I am using Gamakatsu hooks on a 2 hook rig setup But you have been catching Jew for many years now so I think you just need a little luck...

Anyway having a Girlfriend that shares the same interest as you is Fantastic before you know it she will probably start getting into the Jewwies also!!

Keep up the Good Work :thumbup:

Regards,

Nathan

Well done on the breambos, Pete - shame Rosetta dropped the nice fish - nice of you to do the same, so she didn't feel alone in losing a nice fish! :wacko:

Only kidding!! I would have been spewing!! :mad3::thumbdown::1badmood::mad3::05:

Have you tried the fine 'circle hooks'? They almost always hook in the corner of the mouth & usually stay hooked! I am pretty certain that Black Magic make some quite fine ones that would do the trick!

Better luck next time - shame I couldn't be there! One day, I will!

Cheerio

Roberta

gday roberta, I have tried the circle hooks that you kindly sent down to me but when ever i have used them I cant seem to get a touch on them, i think they are too thick and heavy. As you say a finer gauge hook would do the trick. - have to get me some!

pete.

Since netting has been banned in this area the size of fish and the variety you can catch in that area has improved out of site.

It will become a hot spot if it is not now. Once the road works is finished it will get very crowded in summer as it is very protected.

Great catch and its good to see you have a keen partner to share great times. Hope you continue to build on your catch.

The thing I like about canada bay is that there are, and has been, no factories to pollute the bay - unlike the parra river. I am sure the fish caught in this area would be as safe to eat as those caught east of the bridge.

pete.

Nice one Pete

I've recently moved from the UK to Rozelle and have been catching some nice bream in the evenings from the Iron Cove shore ( I dont have a boat ) on my Blackfish gear but using bread or cheese for bait over a berley mix of mashed bread, sand and some chicken starter crumb. I don't really know what I'm doing yet as regards to bream fishing but the float goes under lots and they pull hard on light tackle so I'm a happy Pom !

I had a feeling that Iron Cove would throw up a big predator given the amount of baitfish that are there but sorry to see that your biggie got away :1badmood::1badmood:

Btw: Bloody, poxy, midget hook-stealing Tailor also like bread a little too much for my liking but are less keen on the cheese.

Say Hi if you see me down there staring at a float in the very helpful beam from the streetlights !

Cheers

Martin

Hi Pete,

Fished monday am for a few hours and could only raise one bloody yakka. Of course that yakka went on a screaming run with good headshakes and bingo it spat the hook same as you. I share in your grief. Oh well they are there so going squiding friday with fellow raider and we are gonna target jews in MH. Feel good about landing a few so stay posted fellow jew tragic.

Soon i really want to get out with ya mate before i pull the plug on this season but i really want a shot at a 10kg model. Got a few PB's this year but not size wise with the mulloway.

Mike

Nice report Pete! :thumbup:

Shame about the jew but it's nice to know they are in your new spot with the bream.

Top session on the bream anyway!

It was great to catch up with you again on Sunday mate.

Cheers,

Grant.