New Boat Yes!

Narralakes

G'day Raiders,

now that I have a boat, I have to save up for some extra goodies. Some questions follow, if you can help out, thanks in advance. Has anyone bought off the US site "BoatersWorld.com", some awesome prices even if they are in US dollars, add on around 30% for the Aussie dollar and its still cheap compared to prices here.

I'm mainly fishing the esturaries, lakes and rivers, but will venture into the harbour and heads in the right conditions.

Boat is a Stessl Edgetracker, 3.85 long and has a depth of 76 cms. One of the suppliers told me, when calculating the thrust and length of shaft to do it this way.

5lbs of thrust for every 200 lbs of boat fully loaded - this is a minimum

shaft - measure from the top of the boat when fully loaded to the water level and add 45 cms.

So roughly, for my boat, a 42 inch shaft would do, I estimated. Here's a few options.

Electric motor: This will stir up some interest I know, Minn Kota or Motor Guide??

Motor guide - Fw46FB 42 inch or equivalent in Minn Kota for thrust and shaft?

Sounder/fishfinder

Hummingbird Matrix 17 or 27??

Any other suggestions?

thanks heaps

Narra

Ken the best advice I can give you on an electric is try both brands before buying. I had no problems at all with my MG cable steer either in the handling of it or with corrosion.It was a grand cheaper also.

Some people do have problems with cable steer. Using both types yourself & choosing which you prefer is the only way to go. People with Minn Kotas rave about them & tell you MG are crap & visa versa. It is difficult to get an unbiased opion. I tried both types & found electric steering on the MK too slow reacting for the tight structure / fast current areas I fish & the cable steer was much more suitable.

Good onya Ken, sounds like a great rig, they r a tough proven boat and am sure u will get alot of enjoyment. Not sure which electric u should get, I recommend trying to get to one of the socials and ask a few fellas for a go and make up your mind from there. They r very personal and I wouldn't buy one on anyones recommendations. As for sounders go with the 27 anyday cause of the big screen. It is basically the same sounder as my 37 but without the wider beam which I don't use a hell of alot anyway. If purchasing local the new humminbirds are being released so u may be able to get a good bargain. Wish u the best on your new rig and look forward to seeing u on the nepean

Here you go Ken, just quoting myself from the flattie thread incase u didn't go back to it.

Good onya Ken, sounds like a great rig, they r a tough proven boat and am sure u will get alot of enjoyment. Not sure which electric u should get, I recommend trying to get to one of the socials and ask a few fellas for a go and make up your mind from there. They r very personal and I wouldn't buy one on anyones recommendations

I couldn't agree more Rick :biggrin2:

G'day Andrew,

started back at work this week unfortunately. In the middle of building rods with the boys here, with 12 boys building them it gets busy between Hats and myself. Anyway, they should be ready by Activity Week. Maybe we can get out soon though, coming to the Brissy waters social this Sunday? Hats is going out this arvo, he caned them on SPs the other week, kingies, macks, bream everything, all in one session.