Gear To Use When Squid Fishing?

RPL

Hi was just wondering what the general consensus is when fishing for squid? Its getting cold so I decided id target squid this season :)

Just a couple of questions,

1. What line should I use? Mono or Braid, at the moment im using braid but when the squid pulls it doesnt give anything and the hooks pull quiet a bit, could this be due to the minimal stretch in the braided line?

2. What rod should I use? Im using a T-curve bream plastic rod atm, that is fairly stiff, should I be using a rod that is more sensitive? As in more softer in the tip?

3. Normally I fish waters that are around 2-5m deep, considering id like to fish for medium to large squid what size and weight jig should I use? Keeping in mind that im fishing weed beds with some current?

Anyway guys, if you could please answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Mono is my preference... more stretch so less likely to get back just the end of a tentacle. But there are a lot of people who do really well with braid.

If you decide on braid (and even if you don't) you're better to have a longish relatively forgiving rod again as a shock absorber. Daiwa, Lox and I think a few other brands now have Japanese-style squid (Egi) rods on the market which are in the 8' - 8 1/2' range.

For that sort of water depth jigs around size 2.5 to 3.0 are probably a good bet. Deeper water is good for squid in winter so just choose a jig that allows you to swim it slowly just above the weed in whatever depth you're fishing. Don't be afraid to go bigger... I've got some stupid large jigs in my box I've fished with successfully in water up to 20m.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day mate, I use braid with a long leader, the braid is 8lb and the fluro leader is 8 or 10lb.

I mainly fish for squid around the rocks and use 2 or 2.5 yamashita jigs.

My leader length is fairly long around the 10 feet mark..

Edited by Ray R

hey mate, braid is great for chasing squid 6-10pd is good as for leader 8-10 pd and it doesnt have to be fluro, rods around 7ft medium taper are my preference they seem to take the shock from the squids pulsing runs rather than a fast taper, but its personal preference,jigs and technique it all depends on the depths and country you are fishing if you are fishing with current i would stick too 2.5 and 3 but mix it up, same with colours.but most of all make sure your in the zone slow is the go. Good luck

Well depends if you are from the boat or the shore. Assuming shore based a longish, tippy rod with some lifting power. As for line, I use a special sqidding braid. It sinks and so does not affect the sinking angle of the jig, a normal braid will "lift" the head of the jig which not only looks wrong to the squid but also leads to more snags. No disrespect to any above but I use a mono leader not flurocarbon as flurocarbon has no stretch either. having said that I doubt that was the reason for pulling hooks, I would guess your drag was too tight.

Remember that a squid can't get off your line unless it goes slack so just keep enough presure to keep a bend in your rod, I have never been "bricked" by a squid so there is no reason to panic if it pulls drag let it run, tightening up your drag will just pull the hooks.

Hope that helps, if in doubt go see Wahyu at global tackle he's one of the best squidders I know

Still Learning

hi RPL,

i noticed that Yamashita have release these heat retaining squid jigs that supposeably stay at a higher temperature in the water so the squid notice them. i reckon that these would work really well in the colder winter waters but i would imagine that they would be pretty dear as normal yamashita's are already around the 25 - 30 dollar mark. im keen to try them this winter

cheers, Prawn Star

I'd like to improve my technique too. Had a quick go today at Lake Illawarra with 7lb Fins braid and a 6lb fluro leader - I was primarily out chasing flathead with soft plastics but I saw the school of squid as I was heading off so quickly tied a $2 servo squid jig. Messed up my first good chance with an overzealous jig and scored a little tentacle for my trouble, my second attempt was better and I pulled in this guy. Only the second squid I've ever caught (and my first on a jig). I was hoping to catch some of the bigger ones in the school but after their mate was taken they weren't much interested in my jig. Slippery thing didn't want to lie straight for the camera. I think I may have had more luck with a smaller jig, I was using a size 4 jig in 2 metres of water. Might try my luck with something around the 2.5 mark next time.

Cheers,

Adam.

post-13033-127770867925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, all has been considered and I think ill keep using braid with a long mono leader.

Also one other thing,

Whats the best tide to target squid?

I've had most success in low levels of light, and jetties with flood lights. But I really haven't taken much notice of tides.

Is water movement good and what is the best tide to fish them?