Things Are Improving In Tuross Lake

Hodgey

With the amount of fresh that had come down from the river over the last month or so, the lake had been a filthy, debris-laden mess. The water was fresh to taste, and the bait schools had vanished. The upside of course was another strong flush through the entrance. With little follow up rain, and substantial high tides, the lake is beginning to return to it's former glory :biggrin2:

The EP's have come down from the river. They are around in very good numbers, and although the average size is quite small, fish to 40cm have been caught. The flathead have returned to the deep water, and they are in superb condition.

We kicked off at the gentlemanly hour of 8:30am and commenced a drift through 30'+. We managed a couple of reasonable fish, but they were located in specific areas of the drift. We returned to the first productive spot on the drift, and anchored. This was a far more effective way to target them.

Initially 1/4oz jig heads were used, but with the change of the tide, upgrades were needed to fish the bottom properly. 1/2 oz were ideal. The curl-tailed lures were fished very slowly, and most of the 'takes' were quite subtle. We dropped 2 very strong fish without getting a look at them :(

Catching duskies in the deep is vastly different to fishing in the shallows. There were very few screaming runs, with the fish preferring to swim tenaciously for the bottom. They tend to fight well above their weight.

That said, we managed a great feed for the table today, with 5 of them ranging from 58 - 63cm. They were broad in the shoulder and carried that condition all the way to the tail. 4" Swimming mullet in natural colours were the most successful today. The biggest fish to make it into the boat was 73cm. Almost time to book your flight, Slinky ;)

post-3198-127761423675_thumb.jpg

post-3198-127761427107_thumb.jpg

We had a pleasant surprise this morning ... a sea turtle put in appearance! :1yikes: Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough with the camera. He is the first of his kind that Dene and I have seen in the lake.

Jewfish and salmon are still putting in an appearance. With the entrance well and truly established now, we are hopeful of some promising fishing over the next few months. If it can stay like this until Summer, it should be extraordinary! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Raiders

Cheers

Hodgey

It's great that the lake is clearing Hodgey. It's also good to see another quality report from you that includes some fantastic flathead. :thumbup:

I'd call that catch a real "table filler"! A few good meals for sure.

If the fishing down there keeps improving, there should be a few more great reports from you making me jealous!

Cheers

Peter

PS Don't let Slinky (and his bananas) come down there to fish with you, he's on a roll at the moment and will just clean out the whole area of "big fish"! :074:

Can't wait :yahoo: Might wait until after school holidays though :1prop:

Looks like a great day on the water, Hodgey. Very fat and healthy looking flat things.

With the deep water and big jig heads I'll be bringing my 2-5 as well as my 1-3 (oh... maybe I'll just bring everything... just look for the echidna in the hire car)

Great, comprehensive report... should be doing one for the local tourism authority :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Hodgey,

That looks more like a summer run of good fish! Some beautiful sized fillets there too. Hodgey, I nailed a 72cm model in the dark in my kyak last weekend....the first over 50cm since before Christmas! It took a ZX 35 down deep and came to the kayak without much fuss in only 5' of water. After dark they calm down a bit!