Help Me Learn A New Sport, Botany Bay & Georges River

EGO

Hey Guys,

Been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now and it seems like a rather nice place to hang out.

Well ill start with the simple stuff. My name is Jason and im 32yo and live in Sylvania in Sydney. About 6 months ago i decided to take up a new sport and get into fishing. i have Always liked it but have never really done much in my time and if i did it was nothing serious at all. I went out and brought myself a late 80s Haines Hunter V17R with an old Johnson 110HP. Its been a nice old boat and im really looking forward to catch some nice fish. I done really know much at all except the last 6 or 7 times we have hit the water we have come home with No fish more times than we have come home with anything. I dont have a fish finder on the boat yet and i do have a burley bucket and all the enthusiamise in the world. :)

I am looking for any tips at this stage as i have a world of learning ahead of me. Im a very easy pleaser and would be happy if i only came home with one or two just legeal breams.:) Im after basic tips of any sort that will help me with Rigs, baits, burley, locations and even what conditions to go out in(ie, tides). Im not looking to be a pro or anything and im not worried what sort of fish i catch but i would like to take something home for the dinner table. The fish shop on the way home seems to be the usual at the rate im going. I usually launch the boat at the Hole in the wall off Hawkesbury Esp Sylvania waters and we have been using bread for burley and prawns and octopus for bait.

Any tips and hints anyone can provide me will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

Hey Guys,

Been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now and it seems like a rather nice place to hang out.

Well ill start with the simple stuff. My name is Jason and im 32yo and live in Sylvania in Sydney. About 6 months ago i decided to take up a new sport and get into fishing. i have Always liked it but have never really done much in my time and if i did it was nothing serious at all. I went out and brought myself a late 80s Haines Hunter V17R with an old Johnson 110HP. Its been a nice old boat and im really looking forward to catch some nice fish. I done really know much at all except the last 6 or 7 times we have hit the water we have come home with No fish more times than we have come home with anything. I dont have a fish finder on the boat yet and i do have a burley bucket and all the enthusiamise in the world. smile.gif

I am looking for any tips at this stage as i have a world of learning ahead of me. Im a very easy pleaser and would be happy if i only came home with one or two just legeal breams.smile.gif Im after basic tips of any sort that will help me with Rigs, baits, burley, locations and even what conditions to go out in(ie, tides). Im not looking to be a pro or anything and im not worried what sort of fish i catch but i would like to take something home for the dinner table. The fish shop on the way home seems to be the usual at the rate im going. I usually launch the boat at the Hole in the wall off Hawkesbury Esp Sylvania waters and we have been using bread for burley and prawns and octopus for bait.

Any tips and hints anyone can provide me will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

Welcome to fishraider Jason, you have come to the right place to learn. Use the search function to troll through the literally 1000's of helpful posts. Check out the articles section (see button at top of page).

Read the fishing reports daily

I am sure a raider will help you out soon thumbup.gif

Cheers mrsswordie

Welcome to FR :1welcomeani: - these are the friendliest people. There are so many with an abundance of knowledge & more than willing to share. :thumbup: I am looking forward to your first post to brag about your latest catch. :icon_peace:

Welcome to FR :1welcomeani: - these are the friendliest people. There are so many with an abundance of knowledge & more than willing to share. :thumbup: I am looking forward to your first post to brag about your latest catch. :icon_peace:

Cheers guys, Ive had a very warm welcome so far. I cant wait to do some bragging too. I will have to try a few differant rigs and spots over the next few weeks. Ive just rigged the boat up with Deck lights yesterday so when the weather turns good again ill give this night fishing a go.:)

Any spots that i should try and with what please feel free to advise.:)

Hi Jason,

as everyone else has said... :1welcomeani: to Fishraider.

Mate I would love to meet up with you sometime on the river.

Its my stomping ground as it's close by and I am time poor.

A sounder would be a good addition to your boat... not necessarily to find fish, but structure....

If you do that drift between the bridges, make sure you have some weight on to keep just in touch with the bottom.

Alternately there are some good spots just west of hole in the wall. If you feel like chucking a lure about.

PM me if you want to tee up a day.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for all the warm welcome and a big thanks to all the people that have messaged me offer to show me the ropes.. I will be taking you guys up on those offers as i want to learn all i can.

Can someone show me where i can find some info on basic rigs for chasing flathead & Bream/Snapper in the bay or goerges. Maybe even some ideas on bait.?