Lifejacket

cameldownunder

From the specs:

Length: 4.89 m

Length With Bow Sprit:

5.04 m

This plus

"The length of the vessel means its length of its hull. This includes all structural and integral parts of the craft, such as wooden, plastic or metal stem or sterns, bulwarks and hull/deck joints."

So I think It does not touch me too much. Of course my son will always have a lifejacket on.

I probably will have more of one argument with a NSW Maritime officer, and I´d better carry the specs of the boat with me

at all times and not only in high risk moments.

i to have a stacer baymaster sports 475, i have just attempted to measure my boat and it has a total length of 4.90m

can anyone clarify how boat hulls are measured?

does the maritime go by the model of the boat or actual measurments?

I am in the same boat (so to speak). I will peel off the 4.75 sticker on the side of my Bluefin to avoid undue attention from Maritime or the Water Police. The dimensions listed on the boat maker's website state the boat is 4.90m. I believe having communicated with Fishraider Geoff, that boats can be measured and certified. This is his reply from Maritme regarding the matter.

You will need to take it to a Boatcode agent to have it remeasured by a

Boatcode agent, you can source these off our internet site. There will

also be a fee involved with this check.

I don't plan on wearing a lifejacket when fishing alone or at night (as I fish very still and quiet waters). Mark Webber had a point when he said we are becoming a nanny state.

Can anyone clarify how boat hulls are measured?

My understanding there are two methods.

1. Tip of the actual bow ( not inc the bow spit) to the transom.

2. Tip of the bow to the end of the water line.

To clarify "the end of the water line" , the below photo shows the rear of my boat.

Measuring , using method 1. is 4.6mt. Using method 2. which includes the the sponson extensions is 4.9mt.

Under Maritime rules my boat can be remeasured & clasified as 4.9mt as the sponsons are part of the "water line".

A lot of mono hulls have a filled in extended section off the transom. These are now included in the measurment..

What is not included or considered part of the "water line" are outboard pods , ie , bracket or extension fitted to the transom to which the motor is fitted.

As an example , the outboard mounting on my boat is a further 100mm beyond the end of the sponson. This is not considered part of the water line & as such does not qualify the boat to be measured as 5.0mt

Geoff

post-731-12790571516_thumb.jpg

My understanding there are two methods.

1. Tip of the actual bow ( not inc the bow spit) to the transom.

2. Tip of the bow to the end of the water line.

To clarify "the end of the water line" , the below photo shows the rear of my boat.

Measuring , using method 1. is 4.6mt. Using method 2. which includes the the sponson extensions is 4.9mt.

Under Maritime rules my boat can be remeasured & clasified as 4.9mt as the sponsons are part of the "water line".

A lot of mono hulls have a filled in extended section off the transom. These are now included in the measurment..

What is not included or considered part of the "water line" are outboard pods , ie , bracket or extension fitted to the transom to which the motor is fitted.

As an example , the outboard mounting on my boat is a further 100mm beyond the end of the sponson. This is not considered part of the water line & as such does not qualify the boat to be measured as 5.0mt

Geoff

post-731-12790571516_thumb.jpg

thankyou geoff, i had included the Outboard pod as part of the measurment.

will remeasure tonight but i dont think it will go past 4.75

why isnt the pod considered as part of the waterline?

why isnt the pod considered as part of the waterline?

My previous comments were based on information obtained from Maritime.

I assume (guess) it is not considered , as the pod is not actually in the water & as such does not add any boyancy to the boat.

Geoff

the pod maybe not

but the quintrex maxi transom should be added to the length as it is a part of buoyancy

If your refering to a design similar to the one in the photo then , yes , it is part of the water line & as such is included in the measurment.

Geoff

post-731-127908797644_thumb.jpg

If your refering to a design similar to the one in the photo then , yes , it is part of the water line & as such is included in the measurment.

Geoff

post-731-127908797644_thumb.jpg

that looks very similer to the back of my boat. the rear pod bit does sit in the water.

i will check with the boat code people and see what they recon.

Edited by nsaykali