Reels/spools Specifically 'braid' Friendly

arpie

Hi all

I never fully realised the ramifications that the shape of the reel/spool (in particular) and the actual reel winding mechanism has in dictating whether it is built specifically for braid or mono! Seems the spools with a slightly angled face edge (about 45 degrees on the lip - going from the inside of the spool edge to the outside edge,) is built more for braid (the angled edge makes it peel off the reel better, too), as against the spools with a 'square edge' (the whole inside of the spool is flat with no variation at the edge) is more for mono! I think the angled face also allows the braid to be laid down right to the front & rear edge as well, rather than stopping a few mms in. Seems the mono spool also lays line on the spool as a 'criss cross' fashion & stops short of the inside edge of the spool, whilst the "braid spools" lays the braid on more like a cotton reel ...... sweeping across the face of the spool until it hits the edge then sweeps across the other side (more like baitcasters!)

If you put braid on a 'mono reel' it will tend to go on the spool with 'ridges' & will probably 'dig in' at some stage, especially after fighting a big fish, stopping dead on a big cast, leading to possible lost lures & half your line!

For example, It seems that the Shimano Sienna is better for braid whilst the more expensive Siedo is for mono! The Sienna states that it IS a braid friendly reel.

Well, you learn something new every day!! I only learned that recently!! I was getting really frustrated with my Siedo & all the wind knots in the braid - but now I reckon I know why! It isn't apparantly built for braid and I fear the little Daiwa Advantage I bought a few months back is also for mono! Then again, I will try & turn this into a positive & try it with 4lb straight thru instead of braid & have the advantage of more stretch! That is what a lot of the pros do (even going down to 2lb!!).....

Now I know what to look for when choosing a reel! Why isn't this stated more openly on the front of the box or in the technical details??

I would think that whether it is a Braid friendly Spool/reel should be one of the most important features to be BOLDLY STATED on the box for all fishos to see!!

What do you reckon? Have you had wind knots on a brand new reel spooled with braid, when you know the braid had been spooled on correctly, making it more of a design fault rather than an angler fault (knowing that after casting lots of lightly weighted lures that you are more likely to get wind knots anyhow, but this is virtually new from the box?)

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Both those reels are ok for braid BUT the Siedo doesn't have some of the more recent design mods from Shimano that make it better able to handle braid... the 'Line propulsion' system that they talk about includes a redesigned spool lip and other mods that definitely improve their performance with braid.

With that said, I still use older Shimano Stradics and a Fireblood that have the same 'old design' spool profile, etc. and they handle braid really well. You do have to leave the line load shy of the lip though. After using redesigned spools, while line handling is definitely better, the line still has to stop a couple of mm short of the spool lip.

Your TDA is also suitable. It has essentially the same spool lip design as a TD Sol. Daiwa and Shimano approach the line handling problem differently. You'll notice that the thickness of the spool lip on your TDA is probably a lot less than on your Siedo. This works pretty well too. I've always had fewer handling issues with my small Daiwas than my small Shimanos.

You're right about the way the line is layed on the spool being a factor. Most of the best handling reels have a slow oscillating speed (the spool goes up and down more slowly) which reduces the chance of stray loops. It's a feature that again is not essential and is often found in only the more expensive model reels.

The bottom line is that tackle is evolving and current technology has some developments that improve performance. In 5 years, the reels we're using today will likewise probably seem like dinosaurs. There are certainly reels that aren't suited well to braid at all (traditional Shimano Baitrunners, Penn Spinfishers and so-on)... but you can nearly always pick them because they usually have old style (rather than long-cast) spools with spool lips that look a little like they've had collagen implants.

Don't expect to spend heaps on a top end reel and suddenly have no line-management issues. The manufacturers want you to keep upgrading and a lot of the hype is around improvements that only make a very slight difference.

Cheers, Slinky :biggrin2:

Roberta,

I have a TD Advantage 1000 that I use for bream fishing using very light HB's & plastics similar to you. It's loaded with 4lb or 6lb Cystal Fireline & I've had no problems at all with wind knots. It is the best casting reel I have for light HB's & light & unweighted plastics. It lays the line very nicely & has a very smooth drag too. I think you will be very happy with it when you get the chance to use it.

I also have an older Stradic 2500 loaded with 10lb Sufix which is also an excelent reel for heavier HB's & plastics as well as smaller metals. Again no problems whatsoever with line lay or wind knots.

Paul

I've got a 2500 Sienna FD with the newer style lip, i had 6lb fireline on it and got a fair few wind knots :(

I've also got a 2500 Saros F with the same lip, one spool with 10lb Sunline Super PE, the other with 4lb Fins braid. The Sunline for some reason keeps getting wind knots all the time, whereas the Fins has never had one yet.

Although the design would play a part in line maintenance, i think the line itself plays a bigger part.

Hi all

I never fully realised the ramifications that the shape of the reel/spool (in particular) and the actual reel winding mechanism has in dictating whether it is built specifically for braid or mono! Seems the spools with a slightly angled face edge (about 45 degrees on the lip - going from the inside of the spool edge to the outside edge,) is built more for braid (the angled edge makes it peel off the reel better, too), as against the spools with a 'square edge' (the whole inside of the spool is flat with no variation at the edge) is more for mono! I think the angled face also allows the braid to be laid down right to the front & rear edge as well, rather than stopping a few mms in. Seems the mono spool also lays line on the spool as a 'criss cross' fashion & stops short of the inside edge of the spool, whilst the "braid spools" lays the braid on more like a cotton reel ...... sweeping across the face of the spool until it hits the edge then sweeps across the other side (more like baitcasters!)

If you put braid on a 'mono reel' it will tend to go on the spool with 'ridges' & will probably 'dig in' at some stage, especially after fighting a big fish, stopping dead on a big cast, leading to possible lost lures & half your line!

For example, It seems that the Shimano Sienna is better for braid whilst the more expensive Siedo is for mono! The Sienna states that it IS a braid friendly reel.

Well, you learn something new every day!! I only learned that recently!! I was getting really frustrated with my Siedo & all the wind knots in the braid - but now I reckon I know why! It isn't apparantly built for braid and I fear the little Daiwa Advantage I bought a few months back is also for mono! Then again, I will try & turn this into a positive & try it with 4lb straight thru instead of braid & have the advantage of more stretch! That is what a lot of the pros do (even going down to 2lb!!).....

Now I know what to look for when choosing a reel! Why isn't this stated more openly on the front of the box or in the technical details??

I would think that whether it is a Braid friendly Spool/reel should be one of the most important features to be BOLDLY STATED on the box for all fishos to see!!

What do you reckon? Have you had wind knots on a brand new reel spooled with braid, when you know the braid had been spooled on correctly, making it more of a design fault rather than an angler fault (knowing that after casting lots of lightly weighted lures that you are more likely to get wind knots anyhow, but this is virtually new from the box?)

Cheers

Roberta

very intersring coments ,the biggest improvements in casting distance has come thru guide tecknolage with matterails and placments been the main factors ,still the biggest cast done today world wide are with overheads that were made in the early 80's and using mono with old school guides ,braid frendliy spools were also been used in the early 80's with grate sucess in the touranament feilds of Japan . this has led to smaller set ups for ultra light work we use in bream and bass fishing today .

also another problem is that braid absorbs more water than mono so it will corrode less high quality aluminium such as spheros 14000fas the line water absorbtion will corrode the spool. i agree with the part that not all reels are suitable sounds like my tss4 with braid:(

i have a tda2000 and have never had problems with it great reel i say

cam