Can I Fit A Bow Mount Electric?

Dangas

Hi Raiders

I am currently looking at purchasing a bow mount electric motor for my SeaJay tinny. Probably something like a 54lb JW Watersnake. The problem is that my boat has bow rails and im not sure how its gonna fit on with the rails. Has anyone here ever encountered this problem and what are my options?

heres a pic of my boat

post-11346-127960403941_thumb.jpg

I have seen this on a few boats and you will find the best way to deal with it is to modify your bow rail, it won't be able to stay as it is.

But it can be done.

A couple of members have done the same thing. Johnno was one of them if I remember correctly.

Hi Raiders

I am currently looking at purchasing a bow mount electric motor for my SeaJay tinny. Probably something like a 54lb JW Watersnake. The problem is that my boat has bow rails and im not sure how its gonna fit on with the rails. Has anyone here ever encountered this problem and what are my options?

heres a pic of my boat

post-11346-127960403941_thumb.jpg

It can be done. More than likely u will need to cut a small section of the bow rail which isnt the big deal everybody seems to make it out as. On another note, By the looks of ur great boat, im doubtful if a 54lb leccy will do the job in all but the calmest of conditions.

Musty

It can be done. More than likely u will need to cut a small section of the bow rail which isnt the big deal everybody seems to make it out as. On another note, By the looks of ur great boat, im doubtful if a 54lb leccy will do the job in all but the calmest of conditions.

Musty

Hi Musty, my boat is a 4m tinny, maybe it looks bigger in the pic but its quite light. Do you think i need to go to a more powerful motor? i just dont want to have to run 2 extra batteries

Edited by Dangas

Depending on the space available between the rail at the the bow it may not be necessary to do any cutting.

Below are some photos of Jewgaffers boat with the elect mounted over the bow.

The boat is currently at my place so if you want more pic's let me know the specifcs & I will photo & post.

Info & pic's are also available on the battery set up

Geoff

post-731-127961019119_thumb.jpg

post-731-127961021724_thumb.jpg

post-731-127961024782_thumb.jpg

Depending on the space available between the rail at the the bow it may not be necessary to do any cutting.

Below are some photos of Jewgaffers boat with the elect mounted over the bow.

The boat is currently at my place so if you want more pic's let me know the specifcs & I will photo & post.

Info & pic's are also available on the battery set up

Geoff

Thats a very interesting setup there Geoff, youve definitely given some new ideas. The bow rails on my boat have a similiar gap in the middle as the one in your pics. It looks like you have the motor mounted on some kind of bracketwhich raises it over the rail. I would like to see a more detailed pic of your mounts. I might look deeper into doing a similiar thing as i dont really want to have to cut the rails if i dont have to.

How easy is it to remove the mount and take off the motor? and how stable are the brackets?

I would like to see a more detailed pic of your mounts. I might look deeper into doing a similiar thing as i dont really want to have to cut the rails if i dont have to.

How easy is it to remove the mount and take off the motor? and how stable are the brackets?

Dangas Below are two photo;s showing the brackets in more detail along with one with the motor removed.

Note , on the front bracket , the "legs" which fit down the sides of the bow roller.

Gary from Serious Stainless made & fitted the brackets. This also included machining the bow roller so the legs would fit.

The brackets are very strong & as such very stable.

In respect to removing the motor , are you refering the whole assembly , ie the actual motor / shaft & the motor cradle or just the motor.

If the whole thing Byron requested it to be as secure as possible therefor it is bolted down to the deck.

If you want something different then that would need to arranged when fitting the brackets.

For interest the inside measurment between the bow rail where it is welded to the deck is 100mm

Geoff

post-731-127967239772_thumb.jpg

post-731-127967243175_thumb.jpg

post-731-127967246258_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Geoff. i also want to know with the motor attached there, how would you go about anchoring?

I will prob contact Gary from serious stainless to see if he can fabricate some sort of similar bracket once i get the motor.

How would you go about anchoring?

I

In the photo showing the bow mount , there is a white rope with stripes near the bow roller & running off to the left.

This is the anchor lanyard.

It remains permently fixed to the front bollard , over the bow roller & along the side of the boat.

The below photo shows the laynard which is normally stored inside the boat. Being out side just for photographic purposes.

The anchor is dropped over the side & when the anchor rope is ready to be tied off , the lanyard is connected & released so the anchor is pulling from the bow spit.

The tail or slack of the anchor rope remains inside the boat ready to retreive the lanyard , unhook then pull in the anchor

Geoff

post-731-127968790005_thumb.jpg

Ive just picked up my Watersnake yesterday and cant wait to get it on the boat. Its a 54lb thrust 12v watersnake bow mount with remote controls and foot controls.

I have had a look at the mounting plate and it will require a different setup to your motorguide Geoff. Thanks for the ideas and pics anyway. But after asking around for quotes on istallation i have decided that im just gonna have to cut the bow rail section. This is the easiest and cheapest way and allows for good positioning of motor. Its also quite secure and wont get in the way of anchoring. i can always weld the rail back on when i sell the boat.

post-11346-127986588862_thumb.jpg

Little Hooker got all the tools at his place and we just gonna do it ourselves one night next week. Save the money for a good deep cycle battery.

BTW.... would a 12v Seamaster Deep cycle 105amp/hr do the job?

Ive just picked up my Watersnake yesterday and cant wait to get it on the boat. Its a 54lb thrust 12v watersnake bow mount with remote controls and foot controls.

I have had a look at the mounting plate and it will require a different setup to your motorguide Geoff. Thanks for the ideas and pics anyway. But after asking around for quotes on istallation i have decided that im just gonna have to cut the bow rail section. This is the easiest and cheapest way and allows for good positioning of motor. Its also quite secure and wont get in the way of anchoring. i can always weld the rail back on when i sell the boat.

post-11346-127986588862_thumb.jpg

Little Hooker got all the tools at his place and we just gonna do it ourselves one night next week. Save the money for a good deep cycle battery.

BTW.... would a 12v Seamaster Deep cycle 105amp/hr do the job?

I have an idea biggrin2.gif why dont you have a removable peice or a peice that slides back inside the main rail with grub screw locking points then you will still have a full bow rail when needed.

Just my thoughts.

Regards Stewy

I have seen quite a few boats with electrics mounted on the lately, they look pretty average with the bow rail chopped in half and you'll be limiting your resale valve and market i think. Just something to think about before you attack it with a grinder

Edited by Whaler 255

Hi All

I finally fitted my bow mount on the boat on tue night. Me and Little Hooker ended up just cutting the bow rails and fitted the mounting base on the bow. We are currently modifying the cut section of the bow rail into a quick release part that can be reattached to the rail when the electric is not in use.

I will post up some pics once its all complete. Thanks for everyones input. Im pretty excited to get it in the water but the weather has been pretty bad lately.

Now that ive got a fully decked out boat ready for bream comps i just need someone to teach me a thing or two :biggrin2:

If anyone is up for a fish and wanna give me a masterclass on ABT style fishing then pls send me a pm :thumbup:

I will be posting up something on "adopt a novice section"

Dangas

• 11 years later...
On 5/29/2022 at 5:55 PM, Calebd said:

Hey guys! My boat has a small bow. I could mesh something onto the back and have an electric motor on the back. Do use reckon that would work? Thanks 

None of the transom mount electric motors have the GPS feature like anchor mode/spot lock and that is what most people want them for. Im assuming you are talking about fitting a transom mount electric to the stern?