Wiring Cabin Lights

locodave

Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy some cabin lights and try to wire them myself. I was wondering if someone could guide me a little better.

I've attached the switchboard that I have and the lights (similar) to what I am getting.

What I want to know is the following:

Do I get all four wires from the lights and join them to create two wires at the switch?

Do I have to run a fuse? If so where?

On that switch board I have:

Top left: Navigation lights

Top right: Night light

Bottom Left: Cabin lights

Bottom Right: Bilge Pump

Thanks for any help =)

post-2301-127966727557_thumb.jpg

post-2301-127966728247_thumb.jpg

Do I get all four wires from the lights and join them to create two wires at the switch?

Yes you can do that.

Do I have to run a fuse? If so where?

You should always run a fuse between wiring and switch panel, most switch panels come with fuse holders already on them, if yours doesn't thave that then get some waterproof fuse holders.

Cheers,

Leo

PS - If alloy boat make sure you don't earth it to the hull, better earthing to negative at battery.

One final point to add is to run your ground cable (Black -)either directly back to the battery or to a central earth block (connection), don't ground it directly to the hull or any metal fittings.

If you have an alloy boat it will cause electrolisis and can damage your hull.

That switch panel you have already has fuse block on each switch connected to the positive (red) cable, they are the red square looking thing, you can pop the top of it to expose the fuse.

Apart from that all the other advice is great and on the mark.

Hope this helps.

Peahead

Nathan's reply is very important you should have a main fuse of approx 25 amps close to your main power sup ie battery and all other lights radio etc should be the fused with a lower amp fuse this will not only protec every thing but will make fault finding easyer if you have troubles. Do it right the first time and you will be glad.

Scotty