Whale Vs Yacht

finin

Just saw a story on the news. A couple were sailing their yacht off the Sth African coast when they spotted a sth right about 100M away. They lost sight of it when it suddenly breached and landed on their yacht crushing the cabin and the mast. Luckily the elderly couple were not injured. A following yacht took two amazing photos of the breach and damage. Dont know how to put up a link. But it looks awesome.

Don't believe all you read!!

I work in the design industry and while it's hard to be completely sure because of the low resolution of the photo, there are clear signs that the pic has been retouched. People at reputable newspapers should possibly do a little more checking before pulling images from papers that pulled images from FaceBook.

Cool pic but stupid grab for attention me thinks.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/whale-watch/whale-leaps-from-water-crushes-yacht-mast-20100722-10ll5.html

Cheers, Slinky

Don't believe all you read!!

I work in the design industry and while it's hard to be completely sure because of the low resolution of the photo, there are clear signs that the pic has been retouched. People at reputable newspapers should possibly do a little more checking before pulling images from papers that pulled images from FaceBook.

Cool pic but stupid grab for attention me thinks.

http://www.smh.com.a...0722-10ll5.html

Cheers, Slinky

Urban myth yes :)

Hey guys

Agree with Slinky!

Its bulls***T.

1. Now just how did a person on a boat behind this manage to snap such a clear shot in 0.025 of a sec or even think to do so.

2. See second (after) shot which is no where near the same quality. One would imagine same camera etc etc taken secs after would have to be reasonably the same. Note after shot theoretically shows where the whale re-entered the water behind the boat.

3. See hill profile in the distance in before and after shots. Its different, let alone a tanker in the after shot.

4. Approx 50 tons of whale falling vertically from 20 foot up onto a boat of that size = 2 parts of same boat rapidly sinking.

And Boom Boom wait for it, the real clincher:-

5. The skipper in red is still facing forward! even though he has approx 20 foot of whale towering over him to his left and just about to smash him into Davy Jones locker.

No bannana for this guy Slinky would you agree agree :banana::banana::banana: eh eh

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

As you said trapper that is absolute bulls**t,a whale that size

coming down on a yacht,there would be scrap floating,the skipper with

the red shirt,should have had real brown shorts,2 year ago I saw a huge dolphin

leap into a game boat,while the idiot skipper was zig zaging with a pod,he bloody near

level the fly bridge to the waterline.

Cheers Rick.

We were fishing just outside botany last year and saw something in the water. Moments later the whale surfaced giving us all a scare. We have been following a few this year and I have a theory.

Whales don't hit boats, boats hit whales

I also believe they are very intelligent and for a bit of fun they play scare the fisherman surfacing near still boats to scare the humans. If I was a whale I certainly would

I've heart some $#!t in my time but deadset this ones gotto take it...

... and as if a whale is so stupid, lacking senses and sonar so much so that it cant sense a 32 foot yacht just metres away. Then surface like an olympic synchronised swimmer with near zero wash! hahaha

And that evil accent of hers!

Musty

Edited by musty

I continue to be impressed by the absence of any sign of all the blubber and barnacles that supposedly ended up on the boat. And the photographer that according to Sunrise snapped the pic from the whale watching boat, has been surprisingly low profile. And I guess that he was the only passenger on that whale watching tour or that all the other potential witnesses were looking the other way... maybe the media didn't think they were worth interviewing (yeah right!!)

Never let it be said that the media would let a small thing like the truth get in the way of a good story. This is what comes from journalism that consists of each media entity just borrowing it's content from the last.

I hope all the publicity the yachts owners are apparently getting for their sailing academy doesn't play on people's opinions of whether the incident is real. :1badmood:

Video appears real, and well timed photo could be explained by the fact that the photo was taken by a whale watcher. The whale did breach a few times first before landing on the yacht, allowing the photographer time to brace themselves for the shot.

I'm a believer.

Video: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/07/video-surfaces-of-sailboat-struck-by-breaching-whale.html

Mick

Hey Imick.

No monkey's tune here for me, just monkey buisness :tease::tease::tease:

For me the irrefutable fact is that the skipper has 20 foot of whale above him to his left and he is still looking forward.

No bannana for this monkey buisness. :banana::banana::banana:

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Trapper Tom, from what i understand of yachties, thats all they do, look bloody forward they are oblivious to anything but forward :074::074::074: ! Dont forget everything (sic) must give way to them :074:

Edited by finin

I'd have agree with ya Trapper it all happened in about 0.025 of a second, maybe that's why the bloke's looking where he's goin'... he didn't have a chance to turn his head in the 0.025 seconds. I really doubt anybody would anticipated being flattened by a whale. :)

Mick