Winter

Luke K

Good evening all,

Is it possible to love something and hate it at the same time?

Yes. It's called winter.

I must admitt that although I loathe the cold winter weather, I love fishing in it.

Why you might ask?

There is no reason to put away your fishing gear in winter. It is a great time of the year to exploit fabulous fishing opportunities. Whether you fish from a boat, off the rocks or off the beach, or perhaps wade the lakes and streams, there are lots of fish to be caught and without the crowds too. I have read and heard far too many times in the past suggesting that winter is time to maintain your gear.

Well don't believe it. Just take a look at Hodgey's efforts recently.

I too had a fabulous weekend of fishing.

On saturday morning I met up with some fellow kayakers to fish the cooks. There were plenty of bream and I managed a P.B whiting(about 47cm)

on blades. The fish was healthy and fat. Unfortunately the photos probably don't do it justice. The way it pulled line I called it for a bream at first but low and behold it's a whiting.post-8603-128006117952_thumb.jpgpost-8603-128006121157_thumb.jpg

As I do not eat any fish caught in the cooks I still had an urge to catch a feed. I got a call from fellow raider Yakfishing (Tristan) at about lunch time today. He also wanted a feed of fish. After much debate/discussion, we decided to take our yaks up to the northern beaches in search for a quality feed. We launched our yaks at about 3.00pm and it wasn't long before Tristan was onto the first fish of the session, a 35cm flathead. I backed that up with one straight after around the same size. The water was very cold but the fish were very aggressive with plenty of missed opportunites. I think we ended up with half a dozen or so flathead and a flounder and we kept a couple for feed. It was an enjoyble weekend on the water.

post-8603-128006124336_thumb.jpg

Regards

Luke

well done luke thats a great elbow slapper there..:1yikes:

ive seen some huge ones in the shallows near the flatty pic and they have been very flighty and didnt like my offerings..

spot on about winter,for me its all about changing species and ways to target them also...

took geordi out :1fishing1: sat,ask him on wed about his arms and the rollercoaster trip out...

cheers....steve......

Edited by roosterman

well done luke thats a great elbow slapper there..:1yikes:

ive seen some huge ones in the shallows near the flatty pic and they have been very flighty and didnt like my offerings..

spot on about winter,for me its all about changing species and ways to target them also...

took geordi out :1fishing1: sat,ask him on wed about his arms and the rollercoaster trip out...

cheers....steve......

thanks Steve.

can't wait to hear what Geordi has to say

we must head out for some blackfish sometime soon

cheers

Luke

Congrats again on another good little session Lukethumbup.gif

I to 2nd winter fishing but I don't mind if people wanna stay at home and tune their tackle as it means more fish for usbiggrin2.gif

That's a cracker whiting1yikes.gif

beersmile.gifBrad

Thanks Brad.

I must admitt I do enjoy having almost an entire waterway to myself.

Thanks Roberta

If only I had caught that whiting in good water it would be in my belly.

I love eating flathead but I think whiting may pip them at the post.

i was with luke when he caught the whiting and he is right when he says that the photo dosnt do it justice .....

from a distance i thought it was a decent salmon........ i 2 caught 4 decent [ legal just ] bream on that day .

i reakon this summer is going to be AWSOME . the warm water has stayed around so the summer species are STILL around and there feeding well .

the game fishos outside will also do well because of the warm currents that never really left us this year .

BRING IT ON

craig