The Humps Snapper Fishing With Photo's

Pongrass18ft

Went to the humps with a mate today to try our luck on Snapper. Considering it was only our second time down that way we did ok. Caught five respectable Snapper (34cm-37cm) and lost a good one due to line failure, but as they say "you learn from your mistakes". Also caught a Yellowfin Pike 54cm on bait, it actually look like a small jewfish (from what I can see I think I may hold fishraider record for this species??). Heaps of leatherjackets down that way, kept a few to eat as they're very tasty. Plenty of good size Slimy Mackerel on the bite, which I will be using at Brown's Mountain on Tuesday. Hope other raiders had some luck over the weekend.

Attached are some photo's of my catch

Chris

post-13990-128006224386_thumb.jpg

post-13990-128006225871_thumb.jpg

post-13990-128006250041_thumb.jpg

Went to the humps with a mate today to try our luck on Snapper. Considering it was only our second time down that way we did ok. Caught five respectable Snapper (34cm-37cm) and lost a good one due to line failure, but as they say "you learn from your mistakes". Also caught a Yellowfin Pike 54cm on bait, it actually look like a small jewfish (from what I can see I think I may hold fishraider record for this species??). Heaps of leatherjackets down that way, kept a few to eat as they're very tasty. Plenty of good size Slimy Mackerel on the bite, which I will be using at Brown's Mountain on Tuesday. Hope other raiders had some luck over the weekend.

Attached are some photo's of my catch

Chris

Nice catch you have there- well done!

Hope you were wearing gloves when you touched that pike - they stink bad!

Cheers

DHYPE

Nice catch you have there- well done!

Hope you were wearing gloves when you touched that pike - they stink bad!

Cheers

DHYPE

Hi Dhype,

You're right they do stink but no I wasn't wearing gloves, even my mate said they stink but at the time I didn't care I was happy to see one that size, it had teeth on it like a piranha.

Chris

Great catch there Chris,thumbup.gif Do you eat nannygai (REDFISH,SCARLET SEA PERCH) at that size? I find they have too many bones to be bothered with although they do taste nice.

Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks. We were really happy with the Snapper as my mate has never caught legal Snapper (over the moon). I love leather jackets so I was happy with those for a feed. Yeah the nannygai was small (23cm). I would have loved to have used him for livebait for a kingie but he had no life left in him. I did catch some lovely nannygai a month ago fishing the Kink area and they were over 30cm each and very tasty. I find the bigger nannygai are in the 200m zone not in close like the Humps.

Regards

Chris

I quite like nannygai fillets, and providing you get enough of them, they make great fish cocktails. Very sweet flesh.

Anyway, that's a good feed there Chris. :thumbup:

Did you lose many rigs to the jackets? What depth were you fishing?

Cheers

Peter

I quite like nannygai fillets, and providing you get enough of them, they make great fish cocktails. Very sweet flesh.

Anyway, that's a good feed there Chris. :thumbup:

Did you lose many rigs to the jackets? What depth were you fishing?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Nannygai are a delicious eating fish but aren't easy caught these days of size. We fished the Humps 220ft on the drift to 200ft and kept going over the same drift for Snapper which was near a fish trap (less problems this way with leatherjacket). We then headed another 10km down the coast to a reef at 150ft, anchored up and caught the leatherjackets and a Pike 54cm (biggest I've ever seen). We were very lucky as we lost no rigs to the jackets, rigs were made out of heavy duty stainless wire and we were using thin braid main line (they weren't in plague proportions that day).

By the way, I enjoy reading your reports you post with Sid. Was speaking to Sid one day while I was doing some work at his neighbour's across from him and he mentioned you guys would be going to Brown's. Have you done that trip yet? If so, did you have any luck?

Chris

Hope you cook your jackets in their skin. Skin peels off very easy when ready.

When cleaning your fishing knives or bait boards etc use their skin. Top scourer.

No I haven't ever tried that way but next time I get a catch of leatherjacket will give it a try. I usually cut off their heads and skin them before frying.

Thanks for the tips, always knew their leathery skin was good for something :thumbup: .

Chris