Harbour Blackie Session

rickster

Hooked up again with Sreve (slam354) for another attack on the harbour blackfish. Found a spot protected from the cool westerly and kicked off around 7.00 am. Bit of burley and Steve's on nearly straight away. A couple each in the bag then I'm onto what feels like a nice fish. Always use two leaders and lo and behold I've got a double which Steve managed to net nicely. Let me state at this point that it takes a lot of skill and finesse to not only hook two at once but to sussessfully land both. Nothing at all to do with luck. Shortly after, Steve hooks and lands a double. WHAT A FLUKE!!!!! Be buggered if he doesn't do the same shortly afterwards. Honestly can't believe some peoples luck but then again I suppose I should give him some credit. Fish were definetely travellers and not really "on" at any stage. We'd get nothing for 1/2 hour then a couple in a row. We were probably lucky that we hooked nearly every down that we had. By about 11.00 we had 17 in the bags but had gone very quite. Decided to move to the Pyrmont area for a couple of more hours for a grand total of one more fish. Still a good enjoyable day but starting to really believe the theory that the full moon makes fishing harder.

Cheers,

Rick

post-11436-128010684124_thumb.jpg

G'day Rick

Good to see your still smacking them blackfish in nice numbers and in doubles :thumbup:

Totally agree with you on your full moon theory with blackfish. I recon most fish are the same but not sure why???

Do they feed all night in the moon light?

Greg

G'day Rick

Good to see your still smacking them blackfish in nice numbers and in doubles :thumbup:

Totally agree with you on your full moon theory with blackfish. I recon most fish are the same but not sure why???

Do they feed all night in the moon light?

Greg

Always got me beat. Do fish say "gee I'm hungry but i hate eating when there's a full moon" Same as tides sometimes, they can bit better on a run-up or run-out. I guess if we knew the answers we'd all be fishing for a living.

Hey Rickster and Greg,

My theory on the full moon affecting blackfish is that the full moon brings bigger high tides, whereby after dark, they will come up on the smaller waves, and feed on the weed as the water surges over the rocks and washes back in. It also puts the blackfish on red-alert as the ocean jews can see them when they look up from below and that makes the blackfish easier targets. So during the day they would be full and relaxing, waiting for the next high tide after dark.

Now the theory goes out the window if the seas are rough and the waves are bashing the rocks. This would dislodge a lot of weed but the blackfish aren't going to go out into deeper water to get it - too prone to attacks - they go into sheltered waters looking for some spume lines and current lines that may contain some dislodged oceanic or river/bay weed - or perhaps just to wait out the rough conditions. There's a lot to think about eh?

I spent 10 years regularly fishing blackfish with some veterans and they taught me a real lot.....but since I discovered regular bream catches in the bay with my boat, I never looked back...

Tony

gday rick nice little session there mate!

The full moon definately affects the jew also, I have caught hundreds of jew over my lifetime but I cannot recall ever catching one on or near a full moon! yet others swear by the full moon so I am stuffed if I know? maybe other people are doing something different to me, I can only speak of my own experience.Perhaps the jew bite during the daytime around a full moon?? so maybe the moon has the opposite affect on blackfish and they tend to be feeding more at night?

just a thought.

pete.

Nice session there, Rick & Steve. Isn't it fun when you hook a double - when trying to net them, one is going left & the other going right ..... makes for a double bustoff situation very fast! :1yikes:

Tony - very good theory & I concur! I've always believed that fishing the out tide the morning after the full moon evening 'high' is when you are likely to get the bigger fish. After rough weather, there are heaps of spot close in that I can access good fish!

Roberta

Hooked up again with Sreve (slam354) for another attack on the harbour blackfish. Found a spot protected from the cool westerly and kicked off around 7.00 am. Bit of burley and Steve's on nearly straight away. A couple each in the bag then I'm onto what feels like a nice fish. Always use two leaders and lo and behold I've got a double which Steve managed to net nicely. Let me state at this point that it takes a lot of skill and finesse to not only hook two at once but to sussessfully land both. Nothing at all to do with luck. Shortly after, Steve hooks and lands a double. WHAT A FLUKE!!!!! Be buggered if he doesn't do the same shortly afterwards. Honestly can't believe some peoples luck but then again I suppose I should give him some credit. Fish were definetely travellers and not really "on" at any stage. We'd get nothing for 1/2 hour then a couple in a row. We were probably lucky that we hooked nearly every down that we had. By about 11.00 we had 17 in the bags but had gone very quite. Decided to move to the Pyrmont area for a couple of more hours for a grand total of one more fish. Still a good enjoyable day but starting to really believe the theory that the full moon makes fishing harder.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rickster Good catch mate, outfished swordie and I again 074.gif

Stuball

Hi Rickster Good catch mate, outfished swordie and I again 074.gif

Stuball

Not hard to do Stu, you guys have got to learn to throw your floats in as much as you throw your anchors in. Full moons did affect your catch though.