Fish Id - Caught At 12Mile

Chewy

ps - I thought it was a gemfish

so - according to google :

barracouta is a relatively short-lived species that is related to gemfish. It is widely distributed in the Southern oceans and whilst abundant in New Zealand’s cooler waters south of Cook Strait, they also occur in our northern waters, ranging from shallow inshore areas to depths of 200m. Once an undesirable bycatch species, barracouta are now an important part of trawl fishery catches.

He said it was a barracuda!

So I vote that we split the hat 50/50 and each have a portion...?

ps Moski - In some areas its South African name of "snoek" or "snook" is also used.

Edited by Chewy

The ones I used to catch years ago had worms, :thumbdown: that was in NZ though,

dont know about the ones here.

cheers

boil it up in a big pot with lots of herbs and spices, and throw in a gumboot

after an hour or so of boiling, throw the coutta in the bin and eat the gumboot!!!

There used to be a pretty big coutta fishery in Vic years ago and some mexicans are still keen on them. On the basis of a science experiment I filleted and ate a small one I caught off Merimbula a few years ago; it was a bit boney but OK. So I think that they fall into kind of the same category as salmon or sargeant baker, if prepared properly they may be alright. That said I'd rather eat a flatty than a coutta any day.

The big ones can get worms so if you want to try one maybe stick to a small one.

Cheers

Jiggy.