Great Day On The Georges River

Hi Raiders,

With the weather forecast looking good, the high tide just after sunrise and a high pressure system hanging around I decided to give the Georges River another crack. Today was about testing blades against SPs and I only planned a short session as I had to drop the boat off for a service.

After a bitterly cold start just before sunrise I tried all of my normal haunts following the last of the rising tide up the Georges River. I tried Como, Lugarno and Picnic Point for only a couple of subtle touches. I was noticing that the water was warmer the further upstream I fished and decided to try Lamberth at the top of the tide. The water in this area was one degree warmer than Como, so I tossed out a blade and was immediately rewarded with a nice 49cm flattie.

post-12960-128125184145_thumb.jpg

During the next hour and half I pulled 12 nice flatties from the same area :biggrin2: . They ranged from 45cm - 25cm and were all in good condition. Whilst on this consistent bite I tried metal blades, soft blades and SPs....interestingly all the fish were taken on soft and metal blades.

post-12960-128125212681_thumb.jpg

post-12960-12812521441_thumb.jpg

post-12960-128125216002_thumb.jpg

The bite slowed as the run out tide gathered pace so I decided to head down stream to Lugarno again. Once again I noticed warmer water near my favorite hole and decided to toss a few more blades. My third cast into a back eddie with a MF40 and I hooked my first ever Blackfish....boy do they go on light gear :yahoo:

post-12960-128125221124_thumb.jpg

I caught a second (smaller) Blackfish from the same area, this time he fell victim to a small metal blade :thumbup: .

I persisted in the same area working for a bream or a EP and was delighted to catch a nice 25cm EP on a metal blade.

post-12960-128125223324_thumb.jpg

After numerous boats roared past the hole it finally went quiet and I was convinced to pack up when a flotilla of eight Jet Skis roared by..... it was time to go home a content fisherman :biggrin2: .

PS - All the fish were released to fight another day.

Well done on all the fish you hooked! Terrific outing! Yep - blackies REALLY go for their size - wait til you hook one that is nearer 40cm than 30cm! Huge difference in pull!!

Great day on the water, congratulations on your first blackie! and lots flatties & the ep!

Roberta

"After a bitterly cold start just before sunris"....LOL

Good report and nice catches mate.

I love your avatar- where was that...at Awoonga?

Cheers,

N

Nanook - my Avatar is my 1.09m Barra caught at Monduran in January this year....there are more photos from my Barra & Bass trip in my photo album :biggrin2:

What a great catch! Must have been cold...did you get a sounder reading on the temperature?

Rob - yes I was watching the temperature on my sounder as I moved upstream - the water temperature at Como was 12.3 degrees whereas it was 13.5 degrees at Lambeth. Both locations were still in shadow, however there is a good back current at Lambeth.