Battey Charging

Geoff

Removing & replacing the battery cover on my boat to charge the battery is , due to it's position , difficult so thinking of installing cables from the terminals to an external plug.

The wireing is straight forward but which plug / fitting to use.

Anderson plugs look good but at around $40.00 are perhaps a bit of an overkill for this job.

Has anyone fitted an external fitting?

What plug was used?

How is it set up?

Has there been any issues , especially from a corrosion aspect?

Thanks

Geoff

I was thingking the same thing yesterday when i put the charger on which was a hard job due to batteries position. I will be interested to see what people have to say..

Hi Guys,

Do you keep your batteries always charged? like plugged in all the time? does it make it last longer?

I just make sure i kick mine over every 2 weeks, and run it for about 10 minutes in fresh, also just to clear any old fuel in the lines.

whats the pro's and cons?

HI -

You can try the sermos connectors or deans ultra.

These plugs are designed for radio control cars which draw huge currents... so a battery charger pushing 5 -10amps will be no problems.

I prefer the sermos connectors myself.. just make sure the connectors are protected for the elements!.

Cheers

Trung

dhype I found the deans in the Jaycar cateloge but not the sermos. Where can these be purchased?

Hamuwaja Do you keep your batteries always charged?

Yes , check the battery every 2 3 weeks if I have not used the boat during that period.

Battery testers can be purchased from the larger marine parts dealers for around $20. This is a quick & easy way to determin the amount of charge in the battery.

like plugged in all the time? does it make it last longer?

Not sure . may be a risk of overcharging & causing damage. Perhaps another FR could advise

I just make sure i kick mine over every 2 weeks, and run it for about 10 minutes in fresh, also just to clear any old fuel in the lines.

OK for the fuel but the power used to start the motor may not be replaced during a 10min run

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I have a charger mounted at the back under well ,near bait tank.

It has wires running to both batteries,when I come home, I just plug into charger,the battery hooked up to motor

generally only takes an hour,the other about three hours,day fishing,about four hours

if I am night fishing.

Cheers Rick.

P.S. It has been there 3 years, all I do is smear a little battery grease over unit

and Bob's your Uncle.

rickb What sort / brand of plug are you using

Geoff

Geoff, the charger I have mounted in boat has a normal

three pin,I just plug it into extention lead,I ordered extra leads

for other battery one end has eyelets for battery the other end clips onto

charger,all within two feet of each other.

Rick.

Edited by rickb

Hi, you can get different size Anderson clips, which you can also make a set of jumper leads up with anderson plug on one end, plug them in for easier jump starting as well. you can also get a rubber cap to put on them to help protect from the water and moisture.

Removing & replacing the battery cover on my boat to charge the battery is , due to it's position , difficult so thinking of installing cables from the terminals to an external plug.

The wireing is straight forward but which plug / fitting to use.

Anderson plugs look good but at around $40.00 are perhaps a bit of an overkill for this job.

Has anyone fitted an external fitting?

What plug was used?

How is it set up?

Has there been any issues , especially from a corrosion aspect?

Thanks

Geoff

Mate,get intouch with a company called EMC in Smithfield Sydney they sell Forklift parts,.125amp Anderson plugs are around $12.50 each-you will need two then just solder/crimp them on to good cables,we use welding cable.Pm me if you want phone number.

Tks to all for your replies & information. Thought I would come back with the final result

There were 3 issues ,

What plug / socket to use

Where to locate it so it was in a easily accessable position.

Protected , as best as possible from the elements

In essence the location determined the plug / socket.

I noted the comments regarding plug amperage but as my charger only has a maxium charge rate of 5A , normally runs below 2A , & the wires from the charger are 4mm (15A)it was not necessary to use a heavy duty plug.

Picked up a plug / socket from the marine dealer for $9.95 & fitted it to the top of the battery box.

Now very easy to check the charge in the battery & if necessary , plug in the charger without the hassel of removing the battery lid ,which , is not as easy as it may appear in the photo's

Geoff

post-731-128245969237_thumb.jpg

post-731-128245972009_thumb.jpg