The One That Got Away

brettmann86

Went for a session on saturday evening down off mccars reserve for a land based shark session,

didn't bother burleying or anything just wanted some quiet time ha ha ha,

20 or so mins after i arrived my whole mullet got engulfed by something and my penn 9/0 starts ticking away at a decent rate, so i put my beer down got off my chair and went over getting ready to nail whatever it was.. clicked the reel in and i nearly flew forward under the weight at the other end... with 80lb line i had the drag done up fairly decent so i backed it off quick smart and wondered what the hell i had hooked into... after the most energetic fight i've ever been involved with approaching the 1 and a half hour mark with alot of give and take (mostly take) i thought this fish was starting to tire out.. and could start to see the light at the end on the tunnel when i started gaining serious line back then it all went black again with another burning run i could actually feel whatever it was grinding itself on the rocks under the water.. sure enough a couple of seconds later i felt everything go slack and it had worn out the hook.. i knew i had no trouble loosing my rig so i just wound it back in and literally fell back into my seat with my arms feeling like lead weights and a blister on my hand from the reel...

oh well there's always next time...

but man that must have been an awesome fish.... my 400lb cable leader was nearly worn through so i'm not even going to guess at how big the shark was but i'll just say pretty bloody big and leave it there...

i was actually down at the reserve on saturday with the kids boating and fishing from the shore during the day. I never would have guessed that something that big would be lurking about in that small creek. where u fishing off the wharf?

cheers autocad

i was actually down at the reserve on saturday with the kids boating and fishing from the shore during the day. I never would have guessed that something that big would be lurking about in that small creek. where u fishing off the wharf?

cheers autocad

i launched my bait from the wharf then walked round a little to the right and set up shop there..

and honestly i didnt think there would be anything there at all...

hence the reason why i didn't even bother burleying.. was looking forward to just having a nice relax

Bad luck Brett...

a 90min fight would have had to have been a big Noah or a Ray I think...

as you said there's always next time mate.

Anthony

:)

Hey anthony,

way too much fight in it for a ray,

never a moment of dead weight.. not untill it tore the hook out anyway.. next stop blues point!!!

i launched my bait from the wharf then walked round a little to the right and set up shop there..

and honestly i didnt think there would be anything there at all...

hence the reason why i didn't even bother burleying.. was looking forward to just having a nice relax

i was thinking of going swimming there with the kids when things warm up a bit, but I think I'll just stay off the water.