Quiet Day Botany Bay Sun 22/08/10

crazyboutfishing

Got the boat in at Kurnell by 06.15, Water was a little choppy but not much of a swell so we headed over to the heads for a Troll.

After around an hour and not one single hit on the rods we decided to head over to try another spot. Anchored up and dropped the rods in, roughly an hour later..................And nothing.

Went to pull the anchor up and realised I had a bit of a battle on, after a bit of tugging on the rope, what ever it was caught on won so cut the rope and headed off to Trevally Alley.

Tied up to my friends boat and we soon realised that his anchor was not holding the both of us, but it was slowing us down to a nice drifting pace so we stayed as we were.

Between 4 of us we struck a few undersized Flathead and reddys which all went back. Other than that nothing so we thought we would try one more spot, so off we went to the sticks.

By now the water was really calm and starting to look like a great day. We drifted for a while and managed to hook up a nice size leather jacket and One legal size Trevally.

By mid-day and no more bits we decided to call it a day. So all in all a pretty slow day on the bay, but like they say a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work!

Got the boat in at Kurnell by 06.15, Water was a little choppy but not much of a swell so we headed over to the heads for a Troll.

After around an hour and not one single hit on the rods we decided to head over to try another spot. Anchored up and dropped the rods in, roughly an hour later..................And nothing.

Went to pull the anchor up and realised I had a bit of a battle on, after a bit of tugging on the rope, what ever it was caught on won so cut the rope and headed off to Trevally Alley.

Tied up to my friends boat and we soon realised that his anchor was not holding the both of us, but it was slowing us down to a nice drifting pace so we stayed as we were.

Between 4 of us we struck a few undersized Flathead and reddys which all went back. Other than that nothing so we thought we would try one more spot, so off we went to the sticks.

By now the water was really calm and starting to look like a great day. We drifted for a while and managed to hook up a nice size leather jacket and One legal size Trevally.

By mid-day and no more bits we decided to call it a day. So all in all a pretty slow day on the bay, but like they say a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work!

ye true or a bad days fishing beta then a good days school lol...gud try ull get em next time

mate we also had a very very slow day on Sunday in the bay. we fished from 6.30am to 11am. Tried Moli, sticks, towra and watts reef for basically nothing. the only catch we had was very small pinkies.

cant wait for the weather to heat up!

Hi Guys. First timmer at this so here goes.

Took my father down the bay on sunday morning. We know its not really the right time for crabs but the pots were in the boat so we put them out anyway. I think we were the only ones that did. The water was a chilly 12c. We drifted around the middle of the bay for two nice flathead. with the wind from the west and the tied running in we didnt move much. Water around the sticks was 16c. After checking pots three time we ended up with 17 male bluies and must have thrown back 25 - 30 females. The fishing was quite but it was good to take a feed of crabs home. Cheers. Darryl.

ye true or a bad days fishing beta then a good days school lol...gud try ull get em next time

LOL - looks like you need all the schooling you can get. Save the fishing until the week ends. :biggrin2::1prop::074: Just kidding around...... no really.....no.

Hi Guys. First timmer at this so here goes.

Took my father down the bay on sunday morning. We know its not really the right time for crabs but the pots were in the boat so we put them out anyway. I think we were the only ones that did. The water was a chilly 12c. We drifted around the middle of the bay for two nice flathead. with the wind from the west and the tied running in we didnt move much. Water around the sticks was 16c. After checking pots three time we ended up with 17 male bluies and must have thrown back 25 - 30 females. The fishing was quite but it was good to take a feed of crabs home. Cheers. Darryl.

Hey Darryl,

Nice feed of crabs. I haven't had a taste in many months.

Do you move the pots after each time you check them?

Do you rebait them each time you check them ?

Were they in the river or in the bay ?

I was convinced there were no crabs around in the winter but once again I have been taught something new...

Tony

Hi Keflapod.

We didnt think we would get any at all. Was very surprised when we pulled the first pot and it had a few in it. Most were females which we through back. I always use the run in tied. Fresh bait is always best but will use the same bait all day. The crabs werent big but were still a nice size. I dont move them around the only movement they get is when we pull them in and drop them back in. My father is back there today so will let you know whan he gets later.

Cheers.

Darryl.

Edited by gameon

Hi Keflapod.

We didnt think we would get any at all. Was very surprised when we pulled the first pot and it had a few in it. Most were females which we through back. I always use the run in tied. Fresh bait is always best but will use the same bait all day. The crabs werent big but were still a nice size. I dont move them around the only movement they get is when we pull them in and drop them back in. My father is back there today so will let you know whan he gets later.

Cheers.

Darryl.

Check ya PM big fella and welcome to Fish Raider :1welcomeani: . As per normal you went home with a feed.

Hi Guys.

The old man went out yesterday and only got 2 male bluies. He through back 12 females. And also got two nice bream anchored up near captain cook bridge.

Darryl.

crabs seem to have stayed around this winter. Thanks for the report Darryl

I went out in botany bay yesterday at around 1pm... went for a troll up and down the runway and then around past the cans, sticks, then over to moli. My anchor wasn't heavy enough to hold the boat in close enough to the rock wall... ( i've got 1m of chain on the anchor, looks like i need more, any suggestions?)

We started to head in around 4 after not getting a bite, under the cooks river bridge the fishfinder showed some signs of fish (which hadn't happened all day). We drifted from the cooks bridge seaward and before we reached the end of the breakwall we heard what sounded like waves hitting the side of the boat. We had a look over and it was a school of Kingies!

We tried putting lures and rigs (squid) in the water and nothing.

Frustrating to say the least.