Tuf Line Xp Braid

mottyman

Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of re-spooling some of my heavier spinning outfits and one overhead outfit with braid instead of mono and I'm wondering has anyone got any views on Tuf Line??

I use Fireline on my bream gear and lighter spinning outfits but wondering how Tuf Line stacks up.

Cheers

David.

Hi Guys, thanks for the reply,

Um, yeah, I thought braid was "limper and softer" than anything but I've never used a fused line or even looked at it....

I only got into braided lines in the last 2 years or so and then only on my bream gear, all the rest has mono.

What about Spiderwire Fusion??

Swoff, yeah, I'm talking 12lb (approx) spin gear I use in the bate bay and inshore reefs down south and an overhead I'd like to spool up with 20lb.

All this "Fusion" is getting me confused!! :1prop::tease:

Cheers,

Guest hottuna

Been on ebay lately have we? Theres currently heaps of tufline....

havn`t tried tuf line but have to say i feel the complete opposite to swoffa ()sorry. fused i find stiff and true spectra braids are just awesome, soft supple cast a dream. Favorites are platapus super braid and penn power braid - However ive just discovered spiderwire stealth! It have to say its my fav now, its teflon coated, and silky smooth

Sorry but cant help you tuf line?

dan

Hi Guys, thanks for the reply,

Um, yeah, I thought braid was "limper and softer" than anything but I've never used a fused line or even looked at it....

I only got into braided lines in the last 2 years or so and then only on my bream gear, all the rest has mono.

What about Spiderwire Fusion??

Swoff, yeah, I'm talking 12lb (approx) spin gear I use in the bate bay and inshore reefs down south and an overhead I'd like to spool up with 20lb.

All this "Fusion" is getting me confused!! :1prop:  :tease:

Cheers,

45722[/snapback]

True braids are a softer than fused braids (such as Fireline). I have Tuf line XP on all my baitcasting outfits - mostly 20 lb - and can't speak highly enough of it. Limp, round, holds a knot, thin, and casts a mile. Great stuff. Haven't tried it on my spin gear - I use Fireline XDS for this. Check out

http://www.nybass.com/illustrated/archives...e/superline.htm

for an informative read.

Strewth

Once again, thanks guys,

May Be NOT, funny you should mention Ebay - that's what prompted my question. :1clap::1clap: You're right, there's heaps of the stuff.

I'll give it a go on my overhead and one of my spin outfits. Sounds like the overhead will be fine and if it's OK on the spin I'll get more and do the others I have.

Good on ya guys and thanks again. :thumbup:

Cheerrs

David.

Hi Swoff,

4lb and 6lb Fireline. I find it OK but don't do anywhere near the amount of fishing you guys do.

When I first starting using it I had a few issues with tangling when casting but that was mostly shore based and when the wind got up a bit (wind knots???) :hitsfan::thumbdown:

I don't have too many problems now I'm used to it but like I said don't do as much as you guys and I'm mostly shore based when breaming these days.

Cheers,

David.

David I use tuf line xp on smaller baitcaster and larger overhead. I have 15lb on my curados, 30lb on my tekota and 50lb on the charter special. They are definately softer than fireline and I rate the performance as exceptional. I have never had to replace the line yet in a few years of usage. It is very easy to get birds nests out of too. I have tried it on egg beaters and it doesn't cast as good as fireline.

Guest Target

I used tuff line XP on a 6500ABU overhead for a few months, loved it. Far better on overheads than fireline, only reason I'm not using it now is the reel went overboard :(

I am using Hotfibre II in 10pd and 15pd on baitcasters at the moment, and will go back to it again, also very good. As for spin, I am using 8pd herculies (sp) braid on light outfits as I got sick of fireline. I have heaps less tangles, find that it doesnt throws loose loops, very few tangles and wind knots, and doesnt fray like fireline. Two downsides of light braid is that its not as thin as fireline and the herculies braid looses its colour much faster. Herculies braid is the KMart badged version of another braid (do I'm told) and is a bit more expensive than fireline. about $25 per 120m

Just my thoughts though.

Adrian

Hi again,

Sorry about the delay in replying, I had to catch a train :ranting2:

Thanks for clearing that up Swoff, I do find all this stuff a bit confusing sometimes. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that fireline was a fusion line but I missed it, sorry about that. :thumbdown:

Until reading all this I thought it was all "braid" as in true braid and didn't understand the difference.

Fireline is working OK for me on my bream gear at present (understanding not knowing any different cause it's all I've used) but from what I understand I would do better with a true "braid" for better casting, knot tying, limpness etc as some have suggested?????

Feel free to dump on me if I still don't get it. :badair::risata::risata:

Sounds like the TufLine Xp will be Ok for my other outfits.

Ok, I'm going to have some dinner and give it some more thought.

Thanks again for all your help and I'll check back tomorrow when I get to work.

Cheers,

David.

Edited by mottyman

Check out

http://www.nybass.com/illustrated/archives...e/superline.htm

for an informative read.

Strewth

45726[/snapback]

Hi Strewth, thanks for this link. I think that combined with people's comments on here is great and I'm heading in the right direction with the TufLine.

I did read in another post however that mono is better for trolling than braid as braid can result in pulled hooks because of the lack of stretch which makes perfect sense. I have 6-10kg outfit I use for trolling that I was going to re-spool with braid as well but I'll stay with mono if that's the case.

Hi Andrew,

That's the reason I have fireline, I was told when I bought it that's what everyone else uses and not knowing any different went with that. It was an incredible step up from mono and the difference was amazing as I'm sure everyone who has gone from mono to fusion will atest (notice I didn't say "braid" :1prop::risata:)

Then I went to a graphite rod it got better again.... :1naughty: I haven't looked back.

So... while I accept it's the "standard" I really don't know why :( , would you like to elaborate for me??

Why is it everyone uses fireline and not a light braid given some of the comments about braid on here, except that light braid has a slightly larger diametre than fireline. If it's limper, casts better, holds better knots, doesn't through loops etc etc, how come light braid isn't the go?

Cheers,

David.

Maybe one day someone could do a braid v's fusion cast off with 4lb and see how it goes :074:

Seriously, thanks to everyone for your help here. I got the answers I was looking for and I learned the diffence between braid and fusion. :1naughty:

I appreciate everyone's help. :thumbup:

Cheers,

David.

I have now converted all my reels now over to XP TUF Line - using both the yellow and green versions. (Was using Maxima momo)

At this stage no problems all is going well and YES it is cheap on EBAY

Try it you wont be sorry

riders

David,

Stick with Fireline on your bream gear, it's the "standard" and there's a reason that everyone uses it.

45847[/snapback]

Swoffa,

I have used fireline for about 4 years now and I have tried as many other 'superlines' as I could find. Recently I spooled 3 reels up with Fins PRT braid 4lb hi vis yellow and I am very impressed, I really rate it. I have it on a stradic a sustain and a Pflueger Medalist and so far it has been very very good, in terms of casting, there is nothing in it in terms of distance compared to 4 lb fireline and it is much better in the wind. It also appears to hold its colour much better.

Mate, I reckon you should give it a go.

Just my opinion,

Fletch

Guest Jocool

Welcome to the site Fletch. :thumbup:

I was just re-rigging a 10LB outfit for tomorrow. It is loaded with Fireline, and I noticed that it was snapping above the knot as I was pulling knots tight! :thumbdown: I don't know why, and its not right at the knot. Its more like about 5-6 inches above it. Has anyone had a problem like that? Maybe its time to try another brand! :wacko:

:1welcomeani: to the forums Fletch :biggrin2:

Interested in your comments about Fins braid I might try to get some & try it.

Joe that sounds very suspect snapping above the knot :thumbdown:

Earlier this week I filled my Stradic up with Squidgy Braid. I had 3 early morning sessions & after the third I removed it & respooled with Fireline. It didn't cast worth a damn as it was sticking to itself on the spool. Seems to have some kind of coating on the line & that was causing the problem ? Maybe OK on a baitcaster but for me was a failure on threadline.

Gets a big :thumbdown: from me.

I have 8lb Squidgy braid on a Capricorn for about 3 months and many freshwater trips. Goes well, casts well and is not a 'wiry' as fireline.

That said, I have 6lb Fireline on another reel and am happy with that and am using FINS 30lb on a beach outfit. The beach outfit has only had a couple of outings, but it seems to perform well.

Baitcasters are loaded with Fireline.

Have also tried Hercules and Platypus and was not happy with either. Both seemed to separate easily and then break.

Guest Jocool

I think after todays effort....Fireline was breaking like cotton....I will be trying a braid. I seem to remember that Fin-S PRT was getting some good reviews. I will start with the 10LB and see what happens.

Guest Jocool
Like I've said Joe, I have FinS on a baitcaster and love it.  :thumbup:

46513[/snapback]

Have you ever used it on a spin reel? I used some Millinium braid on a spin reel and it was a bit dodgy! :wacko:

Joe there was a batch of faulty fireline that has all been sent back to the factory. I presume it was purchased not long ago as it is a recent batch. Take it to your store and have it replaced. I have 10 lb fireline on an egg beater and it is tough stuff. As an example I hooked a 4kg salmon while trolling at 6 knots and the drag got caught and wound in tight, the rod holder broke but I caught the rod and landed the fish with no drag without the line even coming close to breaking (although the rod groaned a few times). After testing most brands as a rule I now use fireline XDS for egg beaters and TufLine or Hotfibre 2 for overhead reels.

Guest Jocool
Take it to your store and have it replaced.

46530[/snapback]

Even if I didnt keep a reciept?????

It is about 2 months ago I bought it!

Guest Jocool

Just to add to this....

Swapped my faulty 10LB Fireline for some Penn Power Braid, and I had a spare spool on another reel that I just loaded with the Rapala 8LB braid. :1clap:

See how we go now.

• 2 months later...

I think i've joined this discussion a bit late, and now I'm confused.

Anyway.. I just bought a Baitrunner 4500B, and I'm about to purchase some 30lb line for it.

Which line do you guys recommend in this breaking strain and for this type of reel?

I've read good things about Spiderwire Stealth.

any other suggestions.

thanks

Chris