First Time Fly Fishing

Hi Raiders,

I haven't posted for a while as I have been super busy and have been unable to do some real quality fishing. However I thought I would let you guys know of my first ever fly fishing adventure and it happened a few days ago(25th Aug) while on vacation in Canada. I heard of the Bow River near Calgary being a "Blue Ribbon" Fishery and I thought this has to be a good place to learn how to fly fish and catch some fish also. Anyways I hooked up with a guide from the area and we fished drift boat style using an indicator and a combination of stone fly nymphs and worm pattern flys. Drifting/floating down the river we were able to fish countless miles for a total of about 10 hours on the water. I surpisingly picked up fly casting pretty fast but was pretty slow on striking with the slightest movements of the indicator. I still managed a total of 31 fish hooked and boated a total of 20 and apparently this was a slow day :1yikes: . The largest going a PB of 52cm :thumbup: and the average was 40cm :biggrin2: . I had only caught 1 brown trout ever before this fishing trip and that was spin fishing in Thompsons Creek Dam ...it didnt fight that good ...but these wild river trout can fight I had a couple scream off and strip line off the fly reel at tremendous rate up stream!!. One fish took me to the backing and then some before I could start getting some line back and it was just a little above the average at 44cm. I lost one good rainbow that was easily pushing the 60cm mark.

here are some pics below:

Where we launched..i caught my first fish on a fly close to the bridge in the background

post-4329-128296331304_thumb.jpg

nice brown

post-4329-128296334626_thumb.jpg

These fish could fight!!

post-4329-128296342216_thumb.jpg

a couple more pics to come..

I have to say a big thanks to Curtis Lawrence for teaching me the ropes of fly fishing and putting me on some quality fish.

It was definitly a memorable fishing day.

Jeff

Well done PF - fantastic way to learn fly fishing!! I fumble my way thru it - did better on the uninitiated trout in NZ than here! :( All in fun tho! I must get my fly gear out onto the lake here & try for breambos on it! One day, I will try!!

Terrific pics, magic fish, that 52cm rainbow looks gorgeous!!! Yummy smoked!! :biggrin2:

Roberta

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the post.

Wonderful to see some quality fishing from overseas.

You have got me interested in the tailrace fisheries in this country.

I'll like to checkout the Swampy Plains in November.

Drift boating seems so relaxing.

Appreciated,

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the post.

Wonderful to see some quality fishing from overseas.

You have got me interested in the tailrace fisheries in this country.

I'll like to checkout the Swampy Plains in November.

Drift boating seems so relaxing.

Appreciated,

Geoff

Some Great pics Jeff looks like you had a Great time!!Never been fly fishing, though will give it a shot someday!