Shimano Stradic C14 2500 Or 1000? New Soft Plastic Rod!

shinobu1608

Hi Fishraiders,

Went soft plastic fishing for the first time over the weekend.. AND IVE CAUGHT THE BUG!!! Cant believe how much fun it is, and the Mrs likes it aswell as I no longer smell like a fish market after our fishing trips, so double win!

I have come to the realisation that my current setup isn't really suited to this kind of fishing so im looking to get a dedicated soft plastic setup.

So far i've decided:

Rod: Pfueger Trion Tournament, 2.15m, 2-5 kg, 2 piece ( its going to be living in my car boot ) $125

Reel: Shimano Stradic C14 2500, although i would prefer a small 1000 reel, but is the 1000 too small for the Trion? All suggestions welcome ~ $300

Other reel option might be the more expensive Shimano Fireblood, but i can only seem to find the 2500 size reel for $400

Line: Braid seems to be the way to go for this, maybe Fins or Berkley Fireline in 4lb or 6lb?

Also for line i was under the impression i need backing as well as a leader? little confused about this.. ~ $40

Basically all up $500 would be the max.

But all opinions/tips/guidance welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Shinobu.

Also while i've got your attention, if anyone is in the sydney area and is looking to plan a soft plastic or any fishing trip in the near future please let me know.

I'm very keen to learn as quickly as possible!

Land based or boat doesn't matter.

Thanks again!

Shinobu.

I can help you with the braid, leader and backing question. when using braid you can't tie it straight onto the spool because it has no stretch and will just slip on the spool when under pressure so put at least 2 - 5 meters of mono on the spool before you tie your braid on (use a light mono so it doesn't take up to much room) and use a double uni or slim beauty knot to join the 2 lines (these knots can be found at the top of the page under "knots". once you have almost filled your spool with braid then tie a leader to the end, this should be around 2 rod lengths, use flurocarbon leader preferrably as it disaperes under water and the fish can't see it.

G’day Shinobu,

The C14 is a great reel. Nice & light & perfect for SP fishing. I suggest you go to your tackle shop & try the reels on the rod you’ve chosen & check for balance. Casting SP’s for extended periods can be tiring if the combo is out of balance. The 2500 has some advantages in that it holds more line which if you only ever hook a bream or flattie isn’t an issue bit with that set up you could easily use it for chasing bonito & salmon & the like & really have some fun. A 2500 also casts a little further than a 1000 too.

For a start I’d also suggest 6lb line. Fins & Fireline both are great lines but I’d suggest the Fireline as it’s a little stiffer & as a beginner you will avoid wind knots more easily. As Prawn Star said you need the backing to stop the braid spinning on the spool braid is very slippery. Also you can then buy less braid & use the backing to fill the spool. By that I mean with a 2500 size reel you’d need 250m or more of 6lb to fill the spool. What you do is buy 125m but fill the spool with backing to the point you have just enough room for the 125m of braid. I don’t know if the C14 comes with 2 spools but if it does you could load the second one with 10 or 15lb braid to use when chasing pelagic or big flatties.

Leader goes between your main line (braid) & your lure. 6 to 14lb depending on what you are targeting. 6lb for bream & whiting & such & 14lb for flatties as they have abrasive mouths that often bust up light line. A rod length or 2 is the go there.

With that combo you should have an outstanding set up which will last you many years of fishing.

Good luck.

Kingys

Thanks for the tips guys,

I did make a stop by my local tackle store yesterday and put both the stradic c14 1000 and 2500 on the trion, i think the 2500 does feel more balanced, something that i could keep casting all day. While the 1000 felt top heavy.

Kingys & prawnstar thanks for the line input, i did pick up some 6lb berkley fireline in pink ( the Mrs said it was pink or nothing :thumbdown: ). Once I get my reel and start putting on the line i think i might be back here asking for advice again :wacko:.

Also, mono for the backing and fluro-carbon for the leader? is there much difference between the two? For example if i was to use flurocarbon for the backing and leader, will that cause any problems?

Although i think i ran into a bigger problem, the Mrs wants a new rod too!

So.. unless i want to wake up to this :wife: every morning, it looks like i need 2 new rods..

Such is life

Shinobu

Edited by shinobu1608

Use cheap mono for backing. If you're buying everything from the same store, get them to do it. ie put the mono and roll of line on to your spool. Saves you buying a roll of mono unless you know you'll buy more reels and braid with it. If they don't thats bad service =p

Mono and fluro are kind of the same material, the plus for fluro is optical density is much lower meaning less visible in water.

Mate, I've got the Stradic Ci4 paired up with a shimano Jewel (1-4kg).

Not the best rod, but i must say it's well balanced.

I've laid 8lb power pro line and the line is great! doesn't catch to much water and never had any braid knots etc.

But if i had a choice now, i'd problem pair it up with a t-curve flight.

I have both 1000 stradics (the older version which I love) and two brand new C14..1000's.

The two C14s are loaded with 4lb fireline and are loaded on a couple of 1>3 kg rods are are perfect for plastics,blades,hard bods and poppers and cast great and no heavy arms at the end of the day.

Cheers Stewy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey cut_loose, i'm about to buy the same set up as you've got... 2-4kg 7ft trion 2piece with the Stradic Ci4 2500.

Getting a spare spool from shimano for $35.20

Are you happy with overall balance and performance so far? I really like the feel of cork handles and the Pflueger Trion has the cork situated in the best position in my opinion... I find when i fish with my Starlo Stix that i've always got a hand full of plastic instead of cork.

Is there anyone out there that prefers the EVA grips?

Hey cut_loose, i'm about to buy the same set up as you've got... 2-4kg 7ft trion 2piece with the Stradic Ci4 2500.

Getting a spare spool from shimano for $35.20

Good advice Jet was just thinking 'Spare Spool'....then chuck 10lb braid on it and you will have a cracker estuary pelagics outfit that should see you smashing sambo's, jumbo tailor, rat kings, bonni's and maybe even a jew around the bridges etc...

Edited by Poddy Trapper