Jewie Question

Langa

Hi all, I've been wondering has anyone caught a Jewie on a surface lure? Since most predatory fish even Flathead can be caught on topwater gear it stands to reason Jewies could too. Is it worth targeting them?

Your thoughts would be apreciated.

Cheers, Langa

Hi all, I've been wondering has anyone caught a Jewie on a surface lure? Since most predatory fish even Flathead can be caught on topwater gear it stands to reason Jewies could too. Is it worth targeting them?

Your thoughts would be apreciated.

Cheers, Langa

Two of the lure caught jews I've got have hit the lure in the upper part of the water column, one hit a SP like a Tailor right near the boat and an other was on a shallow diving hard body as a bream by catch. I reckon at night might be the go... slowly worked big mullet looking hard body near structure.

Mick

On the NSW far north coast, jewies are often targeted with surface lures when the rivers are in flood or big seas have been running. Generally at the river mouths or headlands where you have a lot of foam whipped up or discoloured water, you will stand a good chance with this type of lure. In the old days they used feathers or broomstick lures, so modern equivalents should work today.

Jewies will sometimes work the surface, generally at night when you can hear them chasing mullet on the surface, so it stands to reason that you could try lures although you stand a good chance of being annoyed by tailor.

Cheers, Scoop

Theres a bloke who i sometimes see only uses shallow hardbodys at The 2 bridges tom uglies nd captain cook. in autumn i sw him land 2 nd i asked him if he always get on hardbody's and he says yea

he told me jews feed on the surface at night and only use hard bodys where there is light

He was using 50lb braid heavy leader and a huge unknown brand hardbody which was red head white body

Hope this helps

HI Langa,

I can't answer your question about lures,as I am from the old school

and don't touch them.

I have caught heaps at night with floaters about 2 ft deep,using back to back fillets.

Take notice what Scoop said,after a big wet fish the runout at river mouth,my favourite spot was Manning at harrington

especially if the moon was around 4 days before full or four after new.

you never miss in the brown water.

cheers Rick.

Edited by rickb