Flattie Combo

3-6kg Trion - 2500/3000 Reel - 10lb Braid - 10 - 20 lb Fluro leader.

Might seem like overkill, but big Flathead have killer headshakes and shake teeth plus you will be using big plastics in fast flowing water sometimes so you'll be using big jigheads, so the tip on a 3-6kg will hold up good.

Cheers

Edited by cut_loose

if i was u i would quickly go to BLAH BLAH BLAH and buy a mojiko 7ft tournament spin stick 2-4 kg or if ur after something heavyer look at the 3-5kg job . they are for sale $40 [usually $99 ] these fish better that some $200 rods i have used, grafite blanks with fuji guides . then while u are there buy some black magic braid [ $14 ] on sale . a 2-3000 reel $40- $60 .they also have berkley soft vibes for $1.99 a packet [ usually $11.99] . and u get 2 to a packet .

and u will still have plenty of change and an outfit u will be more than happy with .

craig

Edited by craigtempo

if i was u i would quickly go to BLAH BLAH BLAH and buy a mojiko 7ft tournament spin stick 2-4 kg or if ur after something heavyer look at the 3-5kg job . they are for sale $40 [usually $99 ] these fish better that some $200 rods i have used, grafite blanks with fuji guides . then while u are there buy some black magic braid [ $14 ] on sale . a 2-3000 reel $40- $60 .they also have berkley soft vibes for $1.99 a packet [ usually $11.99] . and u get 2 to a packet .

and u will still have plenty of change and an outfit u will be more than happy with .

craig

That sale seems to good to be true... meaning i will have to check it out myself to beleive it :D

Hopefully they got plenty of stock left!!

Edited by tripper

I get all mu big flatties on 4lb leader 1-4kg rods and small blades of plastics ment for bream! :biggrin2:

I personally would be using 6lb fireline (its breaking strain is well over 6lb) and say 8lb quality leader! That way you can still cast light weight big plastics over flats easyer.

Even tho you might loose the occasional fish you will be surprised how many more takers you will get! even big bream and whiting will take a 4inch plastic

All the rods mentioned will work well it all depends on what feels better for you

Pete

I love catching Flattys.

But i want to buy a new combo specifically for catching flathead, mostly medium sized up to the huge 1m+ crocs.

But im not really sure what to buy?

My budget is around $200 for a rod and reel and braid.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Zac

Shimano rack raider 2 piece or 1 piece 3-5kg 6'8" and a Daiwa CY 2500spin reel

should fit the bill matey.

Rizzo

Rod = 7', 2-4kg

Reel = 2000/2500

Braid = 4-6lb

Fluro = 8-10lb

IMHO the above is an ideal outfit and a combination I have been using for several years now. When choosing a rod, you want something that has muscle down low but a reasonably supple tip. The 'softly-softly' approach is more likely to land you a trophy flatty than 'muscle them in as quick as you can', particularly if you're fishing a relatively structure-free area. As the water heats up the bigger fish (in the estuaries) tend to head for the shallows (where water clarity is a lot better as well). This will require some long casts to avoid startling the fish. A 7' rod throwing 6lb braid will achieve this comfortably, but your casting will diminsh proportionately as you increase braid diameter.

Considering your price range, Shimano or Pflueger should have you covered for a rod. Look at the Raiders,Catanas,Trions or Starlo stix. Shimano Sedona and Sienna, Daiwa Cy or Primax, or Penn Applause reels should fit in the budget as well and balance the rods nicely. Have a play with all of them, swap the reels over onto other rods and find what feels good to you. Remember ... you'll be making a lot of casts with this outfit and it needs to be something you can use all day. Hope this helps point you in the right direction mate. Good luck and enjoy your new outfit

Cheers

Hodgey

That sale seems to good to be true... meaning i will have to check it out myself to beleive it :D

Hopefully they got plenty of stock left!!

Headed out there today... picked up a Mojiko Tournament 1 piece, 6"9', 2-4kg rod, 4kg Black Magic Braid and 2 Packets of Berkley Soft Vibes... All up cost $58 !

If it wasnt on sale..wouldve cost me $160 !

Cant wait to test it all out !

Edited by tripper

IMO the only thing you need to manage is not getting bitten off, so aim for a rig that suits around 15lb leader. I've caught stacks on the bream gear and bring them to the boat with minimal fuss. Sometimes you get lucky and and your lure's hanging out the mouth of the fish.... but lets just say 5lb leader and flatties mouths don't mix.

Mick

• 5 weeks later...

I'm with iMick, not getting snapped off by flattie teeth is the key. I'm only a newbie, and this is my experience so far.

When i pulled in my SP PB flatty the other week up at Forster, I was fishing with 6lb braid and 7lb leader. Catching a 56cm Flathead from near some leases. There's no way i would've pulled it in if I'd been fishing with any lighter leader. I had a good look at the leader after I pulled the lure out of the fishs' mouth, it was pretty close to snapping. After that experience I'm going to start using 10lb leader when going for the bigger ones. I don't think this makes too much difference if you're lucky enough to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth, but when fishing with 3" or 4" soft plastics, it's pretty often a good size flatty will inhale the whole thing and that makes leader strength of the utmost importance. You'd know exactly what i mean if you saw the state of my left thumb after my extra long weekend... it's still not fully healed, i've decided to start wearing a glove. Very sharp teeth.

Good luck...