Squids

A.dawg

In the past few weeks i hav been going out 4-5 times a week targetting squid jews and bream

This past week has been very very slow as the water is too clear But still managing 8-9 small ones a night Before this we were getting 15-20 and even 34 last saturday

yesterday arvo decided i would go early to grab a spot since it was fathers day

chucked squidjigs persistently for about and our till i landed a cuttle fish which i sent out on the jew rod

and at about 4:30 i had 1 squid jigs dangle over the side and 1 casted and was let sink to the bottom while i sent the cuttlefish out

When i got back the rod was buckled and a beatiful squid was pumping and peeling line 30 seconds to get him near netting position and see another squid behind it so I gave the other jig a shake and im on again.

I was fishing solo at this time mates didnt come till about 15 minutes after :tease: and i told em to come earlier too

So it was a solo mission to land both squid with 2 rods hooked and 1 net

I dont know how i managed it but i did :yahoo:

sunset there was not a squid in sight but when it got dark i got another 17 and my 2 mates got 11 and 9 so it was a pretty good session

post-9131-036105100 1283725435_thumb.jpg

I hav enough arrows to last me a good 7-8 kingie trip :thumbup:

Hope everyones catchin

Alan

hi mate top stuff. i would like to know how you prepare and freeze them for future trips ? last time i caught a few squid i stuck them in the freezer and they were very pink and not as fresh as i thought they would be when i de-frosted them.

i generally going squiding before i go fishing now because the quality of tackle store squid isnt so good.

(please be specific like what do you do as soon as they are caught and stuff like that).

cheers hamerz.

hi mate top stuff. i would like to know how you prepare and freeze them for future trips ? last time i caught a few squid i stuck them in the freezer and they were very pink and not as fresh as i thought they would be when i de-frosted them.

i generally going squiding before i go fishing now because the quality of tackle store squid isnt so good.

(please be specific like what do you do as soon as they are caught and stuff like that).

cheers hamerz.

once you catch em if they're gnna be used for bait then i chuck em into a keeper net which is cylinder shapes ( not the ones black fisherman use

then when i leave i throw em all into a snap lock bag and suck all the air out with my mouth Or as much as i can...

Yes i get some ink and juices in my mouth but its not all that disgusting :biggrin2:

Was fishing the hacking

2 different jigs caught the squid

1 is the 2.0 pilchard colored NATURAL COLOR YAMASHITA

2nd is a Custom gancraft black

Was fishing in the hacking

Managed 2 a night out of the 2 nights i was fishing for bream at captain cook...

Big ones though 36 38 32 was smallest

1 off the nights i managed to take home the bream to feed on

the other they got stolen by the rats :ranting2:

george might not beable to do a weekday squid trip this week man...Mainly trying for kings with my mate launching the yak and then will head down wollongong this w/e for a serious squid trip

Onli possibility may be wed

None off the squid caught at the bridge

I'll giv you and leon a call during the week aye

alan

Sorry Ceph everyones different in the way of thinking, i personally would not waste any of my squid on Kings anyway. If i like to chase Kings, i go with live yellowtail (yakkas) . My squid is used for Jew bait and the very small squid sometimes for Snapper and the rest go in the fry pan.

Cheers,

George.

You forgot about the best part of the squid!! :biggrin2:

Frozen works just fine. In some situations it out fishes live, and vice versa.

Ahh

the joy of difference in opinion. :-)

Personally, it's my opinion that at THIS time of year is not the time to be collecting the squid to freeze for future use.

The squid are breeding and its not the time to taking the mums and dads from the water, we need em to do what they do, if we start taking away the breeders, its just going to make it harder squiding for the summer in front of us.

but again

Thats the joy of difference in opinion.

See you on the water

Wrinks

Ahh

the joy of difference in opinion. :-)

Personally, it's my opinion that at THIS time of year is not the time to be collecting the squid to freeze for future use.

The squid are breeding and its not the time to taking the mums and dads from the water, we need em to do what they do, if we start taking away the breeders, its just going to make it harder squiding for the summer in front of us.

but again

Thats the joy of difference in opinion.

See you on the water

Wrinks

Arrows hav already done they're breeding greeneyes are in the process but near the end