Replacing Bung Housing And Rivets

puregeek

Hi all

I was wondering if some one could assist me with a question i had. I think i have a leaking rivet from bung so im planning to remove it and refit a new set. The question is, should i re-rivet it or can i use a stainless steel screen to fix in the new bung?. Is there a special way i need to be doing this or is it just straight forward as it sounds.

Thanks

Duy

I just had the same problem. My good friend fixed it by using stainless steal screws and some very expensive

black sealant. Dont forget to clean the area thoroughly before use with a good sanding and wipe to remove all traces

of salt. My mate is a car mechanic so dont know what the sealant was but dried rock hard.

Hi all

The question is, should i re-rivet it or can i use a stainless steel screen to fix in the new bung?. Is there a special way i need to be doing this or is it just straight forward as it sounds.

Thanks

Duy

I use SS screws . As you have found , rivots fail after a period of time.

As for the sealant , 100ml tube of Sikaflex 291 wil do the job , available from the larger marine retailers.

The job is straight forward , just remove the bung , clean up the area removing any old sealant , apply new sealant & screw into place

Geoff