Portable/battery Powered Fishfinders

Gribble

Hey all,

Ive been pimping out the little 10 foot to get ready for the summer season and I want to get a fishfinder for it. Ive seen the humminbird fishin buddy online and its something like that clamp on style battery powered finder that im after. However before I hand over $250 odd dollars for one I just wanted to know if there are any other brands worth considering. I want to avod having to setup a battery box and fuse panel into a boat that barely fits me and an esky as it is.

All help appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Gribble

For $250, you should be able to get a fairly decent FF that will give better readings than most of the portable ones (often the portables have a very small screen with less definition than a 'regular' FF.)

Lots of kayakers have the same problem - how to set up their fish finders efficiently in small spaces!! Some came up with this idea (some designs pretty well fits in a drink holder too with an occy strap for security!)

You can cut down the size of the battery/fuse setup by just buying a cheap rechargeable 12v Drill (Bunnings currently have one for $35 in the latest catalogue), chop off the 'handle' of the drill (incorporating the plug-in battery that slots into the handle) and make a plate to fit the base of the FF to connect direct to the 'battery/handle'. Connect the appropriate clip on the Pos & Neg to suit the FF's wires or weld them tight. Connect & squeeze the 'on button' of the drill handle in 'lockdown' to supply power & then start your FF unit! Using electricians Poly Pipe & 90 degree corners, make your own 'hang over the edge' transducer - or you could just fit it at the back as a real one ....... You could use occy straps to hold your 'battery and FF' against your esky (attach points to secure it if necessary of just use the esky handle & do the occy up tight) so that it is secure & easily viewable, no matter where you sit.

When needing to recharge the battery, (each charge should give you a few trips out) just remove remove the battery as you would your drill & recharge it using the recharger that comes with it!! Take the whole unit out, every time you pack up (except transducer if fixed permanently) for security! Better still, get a drill with a spare battery as 'backup'! It should give you 10 years of use!

Good luck - let me know how you go & what road you choose

Roberta

Interesting idea, but too much work, plus I cant see a battery drill that sells for $35 being very reliable.

During lunch I went to jaycar and can get a 12v-12ah plus carry bag with a cig plug for about $80 so thats a win. The battery can be recharged from a normal car battery charger so thats a win too, considering i have about 5 of them lying around somewhere in the shed.

NOW, ill start doing some research into finders, again. :-).

If anyone has a subjective opinion regarding brands and whatnot I would love to hear them. :-)