Pittwater Today

yakka

Hey Fishraiders

Thought i would shoot a report your way in reference to the fishing in Pittwater as of late... I have been out in Pittwater around the moorings wharfs etc. chasing squid for bait but more importantly dinner over the last couple of weeks... I have been successfull with some ok arrows and cali however did not have any luck with kings...

However today was a different story... Me and my fellow KC's hit the water early and went in search of squid... and squid we found... i managed to wrangle three quality squid over the kilo mark hood size from 32-36cm in under an hour... I was verry happy.... But they were too big for Kings well thats what we thought... Anyways we peristed for another perfect size bait cali squid and multiple cuttles... We then headed to the king spot... We set up and soon enough had our first hit and got busted off... then a second however spat the hook... we also had a king or two in our burley trail... It was a fun day all in all and i am sooooooooooooooooo keen to sit down and have fresh cali for dinner tonight... yew

Its gd too see the kingies are starting to hot up...

Cheers SquidKing Combo

post-12906-058790500 1285304988_thumb.jpg

post-12906-063028000 1285304949_thumb.jpg

post-12906-005633500 1285304911_thumb.jpg

Edited by SquidKing Combo

Well done for finding the squid and the Kings and good to hear that they are showing up a little more consistently. Don;t be scared to put one of those big squid down whole... A big King will inhale it!

What pound gear were you using when you got busted off?

If you are fishing in shallow water you either need a lot of luck to drag a 10kg plus fish out, or heavier line/leader and make sure that your drag is done up tight in the first place.

Better luck next time.

nice work mate

did you actually boat any kings?

if your fishing where i think your fishing you should be using 50lb as a min to stop them quick

and be careful with your burley as well as those areas hold good numbers of jackets

ill hopefully be out there this weekend braining a few

Edited by Framedtrash

Nice report Squidking - great to feel the power of the King in your hands!!

Went squidding with my dad at Balmoral a few months back - anchored into reef, got no squid, then had to cut my anchor rope coz it got stuck in the reef! Got the GPS coordinates, sent a few divers down but no luck . . . .so no squid, no anchor, and a few hundred dollars down!

Cant wait to see your pics!

Superfish

Nice report Squidking - great to feel the power of the King in your hands!!

Went squidding with my dad at Balmoral a few months back - anchored into reef, got no squid, then had to cut my anchor rope coz it got stuck in the reef! Got the GPS coordinates, sent a few divers down but no luck . . . .so no squid, no anchor, and a few hundred dollars down!

Cant wait to see your pics!

Superfish

Are you saying that you got some scuba divers to look for your anchor?

Well as it usually happens... We just started to chill out and take our mind off the rods when my mates saragosa spooled with 65 lb braid to 30 lb leader had a hit... He picked it up but the fish seemed tro have let go... He loosend the drag thinking that the kingy might have been scared of due to the drag pressure... But sure enough the kingy came back hit hard and due to my mate backing the drag off, it just sped off taking a fair bit of line... he tried to tighten it but by that stage the king had wraped him round the reef... Doesnt matter a lesson learnt...

To those haeding out in the Pittwater, gd luck im pretty sure this should be a gd season...

haha devo for loosing anchor me and my mate did smae thing at longy one day... but we lost it after trying to drag it out and snapping the front of the boat supporting the chain off... expensive trip... haha

yer it is pretty shallow so i tghink that is the go keep the drag tight... i run 65 lb main line to 50lb leader so should not be a problem...

oh and unfortuantley no kings were boated.. until next time

Cheers SquidKing Combo

spooled with 65 lb braid to 30 lb leader

i run 65 lb main line to 50lb leader so should not be a problem...

Cheers SquidKing Combo

Many people will disagree... But i would suggest you up your leader considerably, especially at this time of year i.e. when a lot of the bigger Kings are caught. You think you will be fine and then you hook a really decent fish and that leader won't be anywhere near enough. I have had a couple of sessions where we were getting destroyed on 80lb main with 100lb leader!

the thicker the leader the better then chances you have of boating the fish you catch

but because of the thicker leader your going to miss out on ALOT of fish

pittwater is pretty shallow with alot of the good spots in under 15mtrs of water

the fish can easily spot a 100lb leader in that depth

i drop down to 30lb in some cases and i use a max of 80lb in any of my kingy fishing

fishing pittwater i use 30-50lb leader depending on if i am downrigging or bait fishing

Edited by Framedtrash

the thicker the leader the better then chances you have of boating the fish you catch

but because of the thicker leader your going to miss out on ALOT of fish

pittwater is pretty shallow with alot of the good spots in under 15mtrs of water

the fish can easily spot a 100lb leader in that depth

i drop down to 30lb in some cases and i use a max of 80lb in any of my kingy fishing

fishing pittwater i use 30-50lb leader depending on if i am downrigging or bait fishing

I disagree with this, i pretty much use 100 to 120lb leader from the rocks and get as many if not more smaller kings than anybody else.

However i have been done on 80lb leader and won't put it on accept in high quality fluro!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got in from catching a fairly big green eye squid (30cm mantle) from dirty water where I wouldn't eat any catch... so it will be used as bait this weekend.

I've frozen it in good quality plastic, so the squid should still be in pretty good shape on Sunday.

What's the best combo of hook(s) and "cut" of squid? I'll be targetting kingies (and reading the above, it looks like I need heavier line than my 30lb mainline!)

How big a piece of squid should go on the hook(s)? Should I leave the skin on, or take it off? I'll be in Pittwater, so we're talking 15-20m max depth.

Out of interest, any advice on handlining for kings? I usually have a handline down for smaller fish when targetting smaller fish, but if I'm targetting kings, I wonder if I should have a "king-proof" handline down too. (I do have gloves!)

One more question: to troll or to anchor and burley? Previously fishing for kings, they seemed to be expert at finding anything that would cut the line, so my guess is that anchoring will be tough. Either way, how deep should the bait be?

Anxious!