Wanda Mulloway - 24/09/10

acortilla

I am working the evening shift today :thumbdown: so thought 'why not get up early for a fish'. So glad I did.

Hit Wanda beach just before 5am and set myself up straight out from the car park. I only had a twice frozen bag of pillies for bait so wasn't expecting to much. Wasn't much action, just a couple of small nibbles that felt like tailor, until 6.45am. As I was backing of my drag to put my rod in its holder so I could have a cup of hot chocolate I felt the strangest 'bounce' on my line. Having never caught a Mulloway before I wasn't real sure what it was. I have never had anything on my line that that fought like this. Anyway I was soon rewarded with my first ever Mulloway, coming in at 60cm on the dot. Not huge I know but still very exciting.

I had only just finished SMSing a couple of mates (who were not to pleased at 7am :ranting2: ) when I got a now familiar bounce on my line and pulled in my second slightly smaller model that I let go.

I might have to ask the boss if I can work more evening shifts.

post-11703-021417600 1285290362_thumb.jpg

Edited by Azzo

I am working the evening shift today :thumbdown: so thought 'why not get up early for a fish'. So glad I did.

Hit Wanda beach just before 5am and set myself up straight out from the car park. I only had a twice frozen bag of pillies for bait so wasn't expecting to much. Wasn't much action, just a couple of small nibbles that felt like tailor, until 6.45am. As I was backing of my drag to put my rod in its holder so I could have a cup of hot chocolate I felt the strangest 'bounce' on my line. Having never caught a Mulloway before I wasn't real sure what it was. I have never had anything on my line that that fought like this. Anyway I was soon rewarded with my first ever Mulloway, coming in at 60cm on the dot. Not huge I know but still very exciting.

I had only just finished SMSing a couple of mates (who were not to pleased at 7am :ranting2: ) when I got a now familiar bounce on my line and pulled in my second slightly smaller model that I let go.

Great work matey! I caught my first Jew in the same spot only a few months back (also using a dirty old pillie).. It is pretty exciting when you get the torch out and realise that it isn't just another salmon!

top effort mate,good to see a few jew around.I,ve never caught jew off wanda before.Don,t forget to keep the jewels from the head.

First jew is always the most memorable :yahoo:

pongrass18ft

Thanks guys.

Chalk, I fully understand where you are coming from and believe me when I say I don’t take the decision to keep any fish lightly, hell I was vego for 5 years of my life, and the same applied to this fish. I know how big and beautiful a mulloway can grow to be. The decision was made to take this fish firstly as yes it was legal size and secondly if I came home one more time from fishing without anything, well the wife ya know. I did catch a smaller fella, still legal size, that I released. I more often than not practice catch and release and never take more than I need for a feed for the wife and myself.

IVZ350, it is a Palagic extreme hypafin 9000. Like all my reels it was cheap (I don’t think I have spent over $300 on one) but with a little tuning and good grease it goes ok.

post-11703-015960300 1285373425_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.

Chalk, I fully understand where you are coming from and believe me when I say I don't take the decision to keep any fish lightly, hell I was vego for 5 years of my life, and the same applied to this fish. I know how big and beautiful a mulloway can grow to be. The decision was made to take this fish firstly as yes it was legal size and secondly if I came home one more time from fishing without anything, well the wife ya know. I did catch a smaller fella, still legal size, that I released. I more often than not practice catch and release and never take more than I need for a feed for the wife and myself.

IVZ350, it is a Palagic extreme hypafin 9000. Like all my reels it was cheap (I don't think I have spent over $300 on one) but with a little tuning and good grease it goes ok.

Hey Azzo, you dont need to justify your reasons why you kept your Jew, I would have kept it... aswell as the 2nd one- I LOVE Jewfish fresh on the BBQ.

Regardless as to your stance on C'n'R well... like you I take what I need for a feed... and I have a rather large extended family and I like to share my fish around, so a bag of bream or Flatties or a coupla legal Jewies will get eaten very quickly, and for every fish I take... I usually end up throwing back 10 "just legals" to keep the fishery in my local area in abundance.

Limit your catch, not catch the limit- is the classic saying that I think most fisho's adhere to these days- we are not barbarians here we all love fishing and are here to learn and share our experiences, whether they be +'ve or -'ve to others is not their judgement call IMO- if you wanna keep fish for the table and as long as you adhere to fisheries guidelines you arent committing any wrong.

No harm in what you have done as far as Im concerned and you certainly havent broken and NSW Fisheries laws- and Im with Lumpookey on this one, if one cannot make a positive comment then dont comment @ all... We dont need id10t's on FR.

Hope your next one is a 1m+ model.

Keep em coming mate- I loved reading your post and there will be more to come.

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

I apologise Azzo for the stupid comments made by a BANNED MEMBER AS OF NOW !!!!! THATS RIGHT MR CHALK.

This person was a member since 2004 who had made 11 posts and comes out with calling people clowns,I know who the clown is.

The rules of fishraider are clear.

13. No criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports

Fishraider strictly adheres to the Fisheries laws and until there are any changes that is what we all are guided by.

Admin