Fishing For Flatties With Keith's Twin, Fran(K)

arpie

Hi all

Keith's twin brother Fran(k) came up last week to compete in the Sprint Triathlon (Part of the Forster Triathlon Festival) held last weekend. Many people mistook him for Keith, even tho he is somewhat more 'solid' than Keith ever was!! They came up & gave him a hug & said "Gee you look well, how are you going??" And Keith was standing right next to him!! Quite funny, really! He kept the flag flying, by coming 3rd in the over 60's ...... giving them 15 years, as he is nearly 74!!! Keith also helped Fran buy a new racing bike in time for the race - as his was 25 years old!!!

post-2231-038225800 1285290492_thumb.jpg

With Fran staying on with us since the race, & with yesterday being such a gorgeous day (a bit like this morning .....) I suggested to Fran that we head out for a bit of Kayak Fishing!!! Fran has a 'sit in' yak at home, but hadn't been out in it since a shoulder operation 12 months ago. He used to paddle regularly from Balmoral to Manly & back!!!

post-2231-096637400 1285290542_thumb.jpg

We headed off to Tuncurry & launched at a favourite spot, only to find that all my preferred oyster racks (floating ones) had been dismantled! Many had been banded together, almost like a raft, so whilst Fran cast along the edges of the weedbed & drop off, i chucked my Silver Fox Squidgy near the 'rafts'! Got my first fish of the day! Using my old digital camera (that also survived a dunking ..... and WASN'T a WP one!) for some OK pics

post-2231-085750700 1285290584_thumb.jpg

Fran was having no success, so we headed over to an area that still had a working lease and cast between the floating oyster racks & almost immediately, I had another flattie in the yak. I could hear bream kissing all around me & tied on a small popper & was immediately rewarded with a couple of slurps! Then, momentarily, I was ON!! Bugger, I am OFF!! A quick check of the lure showed that one of the barbs had snapped off - it was somewhat compromised by a bit of rust!! Note to self ...... check & replace any suspect hooks on ALL lures!! I put a better lure on & had slurps, but no further hookups! The fact that I GOT some slurps was a real boost - for when a bunch of yakkers are descending on Tuncurry from 22nd-24th of October & this is one of the spots they will be fishing, I know!!

Fran had had some hits but no hookups, so I swapped his Squidgy for a Gulp Grub & brought him closer to the racks!! He should get a fish here!! I had another cast and a very nice flattie took the lure, only to swim around the poles & bust me off!! They don't get that big without getting smart as well!!

post-2231-083513400 1285290622_thumb.jpg

By now I had 4 flatties in the yak - almost enough for a few smoked fish pies! Fran, unfortunately, didn't get any on this outing, but he is sure that when he gets home, he'll take his yak out amongst the boats at Balmoral & cast around for some fish!!

Back home, the tally was 4 nice flatties, the biggest going 45cm.

post-2231-005673900 1285290655_thumb.jpg

They will be converted into Smoked FIsh Pie next week, in time for our next trip to Port Macquarie for Keith's final chemo treatment and Sydney at the end of Oct. Then I only have some Lambs Fry to make up as well!! That way, I don't have to cook each night in Sydney & we all get a bit of a treat, eating the meals we most enjoy!!

Another glorious day out there today - I wish I was on the water again already!!! Maybe tomorrow!!

Cheerio & tight lines!

Roberta

I think Kev & I will be chasing flatties in Tuncurry, next time we go out in his tinny!!

Edited by Roberta

I'd be hard pressed to complete a triathlon now at 23, built tough in that family I think! That's a nice looking bike and a good bag of flattys. I was supposed to head up to Forster this weekend for a fish but work put paid to those plans :ranting2:

Next time,

Adam.

Fran was chuffed with his new bike .... and my 4 flatties!! - next time you come up, give me a yell - I can tell you where NOT to fish! (with my Jonah hat on!)

Beautiful warm sunny day up here today - if it stays like this for tomorrow - I'll be out in the yak, for sure!!

Roberta

....Hi Roberta, why have you got the flatties in what looks like a fry pan/pan of liquid..... Hi Jeff - that's my outdoor sink!! I put them in there to gut & chop their heads off! :biggrin2: I think it is just the reflection that makes it look funny ,,, :wacko:

Hi Bassboy - today was the first time I've had definite top water action! :thumbup: Hope to get out tomorrow & try again, this time for breambos! :D It could be a long hot summer! They were 'kissing' everywhere!! I didn't know WHERE to look!!! :yahoo:

Roberta

he he I snuck out again today & got another 4!! :) Smoked Fish Pie is a certainty now!!!

I got busted off by a biggie on my 2nd cast! I was in the clear, but still had the drag set for 'the racks' & it obviously had taken the gulp right into its mouth ....... and a few big head shakes & it was GORN! :wacko:

Ne'er mind - I must have hooked about 20+, so looks like the flatties are on the chew!!! No sign of bream today tho. Quite a few of them were just legal or under, so put them all back (to the chagrin of a couple of boaters nearby who weren't catching anything!! :biggrin2: )

post-2231-052132800 1285409333_thumb.jpg

post-2231-075663300 1285409388_thumb.jpg

At one stage, i had 3 on in 3 casts!! :1yikes: Just as well Fran wasn't out tho, the wind came up & was even making it difficult in the hobie, let alone a Paddle Yak.

Glorious day out on the water tho - just loved it.

Now I remember why I bought the WP camera ........ the old one uses 2 x AA batteries & they DIE after about 2 photos!! :ranting2: Not as good a quality pic, either! :1badmood:

They were all really hungry today - most took the sp right down, abraiding the line, so lots of line upgrades.

All good fun

Cheerio

roberta

Edited by Roberta