Radio Procedure Offshore

sparkles

Hi Guys,

I have started heading offshore a bit more lately. I usually hug the coast if I go outside.

I know that the Coast Guard run courses on radio procedure, and I am willing to go and sit in on one.

However, I want to head out a few times in the next few weeks, and will not have time.

Does anyone have any info on how to check in with the coast guard. Channels, radio language, and the information they will need.

I tried to find info on line, and did not come up with much.

Any assistance will be greatly apprteciated.

Regards,

Arch

First thing you need to know,what is the nearest VCP station,

or what station you are going to call,they are all VMR.

volunteer marine rescue.

You squeeze the hand piece and say VMR then the name of station you are calling.

I use trialbay. VMR trial bay,repeat it twice.then youtell them your number or boat name.

release the trigger,and they will call you back.

you then press the button,give them your name again,then the place you left from,how many onboard.

the place you are going to fish and what time you will be going back in.

If you change locations let them know by calling back in.

Just sit in your boat and practice what I said and when you go out

it will all come natural.

you would be surprised how many blokes start to call in and when they answer

they freeze up,forget what to say,the poor bloke at marine rescue has to calm them

down.

Just do what I said and you will have no worries.

If your not sure on anything just PM me.

cheers Rick.

Hi Guys,

I have started heading offshore a bit more lately. I usually hug the coast if I go outside.

I know that the Coast Guard run courses on radio procedure, and I am willing to go and sit in on one.

However, I want to head out a few times in the next few weeks, and will not have time.

Does anyone have any info on how to check in with the coast guard. Channels, radio language, and the information they will need.

I tried to find info on line, and did not come up with much.

Any assistance will be greatly apprteciated.

Regards,

Arch

Hi Arch here is a link to a recent post on this and info from Marine Rescue Ken

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=51218

Below is how the comms should go

Using your Marine Radio

Keep your marine radio on the 'Distress, Safety and Calling' channel. On 27MHz this is Ch 88, on VHF it is Ch 16. Because of prevailing conditions you may be the only ship station that picks up an emergency call from another boat. On many radios, you can set up a dual watch or scan mode to also monitor other channels, such as a local repeater, or a ship to ship channel. Radio courses will explain how these modes are used effectively.

Use the appropriate 'Distress, Safety and Calling' channel to call your local Marine Rescue station. You will then be asked to go to a "Working" channel. The Duty Operator will advise which channel to change to.

Be sure to listen for any other radio traffic before making your call otherwise you may not be heard, or you may interrupt another user's transmission. Speak slowly and clearly . When making the initial call, state the call sign of the station you are calling three times and your own call sign three times. This is to help ensure the coast station knows you are calling them and who you are. For example you make a call on VHF Ch16;

You: "Marine Rescue Sydney, Marine Rescue Sydney, Marine Rescue Sydney. This is (name of your boat, eg) Firecracker, Firecracker, Firecracker".

The Marine Rescue shore station will respond and ask you to go to a 'Working'' channel.

MR Sydney: "Firecracker, Firecracker, Firecracker. This is Marine Rescue Sydney, Marine Rescue Sydney, Marine Rescue Sydney. Please go to seven three."

You : "Marine Rescue Sydney , this is Firecracker. Going to seven three."

Now change your radio channel to 73 and wait for the shore station to call you.

MR Sydney: "Firecracker. This is Marine Rescue Sydney , how can we help today?"

Seek the information you want or advise the Marine Rescue shore station of your plans. When your communications are complete advise the shore station that you're returning to the calling channel, eg

You: "Thanks Marine Rescue. Much appreciated. This is Firecracker returning to 16."

The shore station will respond:

MR Sydney: "This is Marine Rescue Sydney . Out".

Now switch your marine radio back to 16VHF radio, or channel 88 on a 27mHz radio, leave the radio on and get back to enjoy your day out.

Remember, calls on marine radios are not private conversations. This is a big advantage if you're in trouble. Many more people are likely to hear you. It's another very good reason to use your marine radio as your first means of communication in an emergency.

Use your mobile phone by all means but don't bet your life on it as your only means of communication. Only you and the person you're calling can hear you and in an urgent situation this could cost precious time reaching someone who is ready to help.

The open nature of a marine radio call also means that courtesy, good manners and appropriate language are also essential.

mrsswordfisherman

Here's a link to a web site designed for answering all the questions you presented Flathead.. http://www.vhfradiocourse.com/Be_Prepared.html#Log_ON_Log_OFF

Also have a look at the Log in Log off video.. and just adapt it to your local area

Yes, I am the guy who has volunteered and self funded the site to putting this all together.. please enjoy and learn..

Thanks Guys,

That was exactly what i was looking for.

I appreciate the great work those guys do, and did not want to waste their time, by being a complete novice on the Radio.

Over, and Out!

You will never be a waste of "their time" - your call keeps the land base radio operator in good training.. just remember that they may also be a new trainee, so they need your call to improve training and performance. Just speak slowly and clearly and learn the Phonetic Alphabet.. and always make sure you're a 100% sure in your mind the correct information has been recorded by the radio operator.. SOLAS