Sydney Harbour Or Pittwater / Hawkesbury

Maiders

The reason I ask is that being new to the region and currently house hunting. Am I best of swinging the choice of dwelling nearer the Northern beaches end with access to Pittwater etc or best staying with around Sydney harbour? Will be on the water, probably likely to spend most of the time fishing the insides rather than blue water...

With the wife not having a preference it is obvious to me to base the decision on the access to quality fishing spots! :) :)

Your views / help would be appreciated!

The reason I ask is that being new to the region and currently house hunting. Am I best of swinging the choice of dwelling nearer the Northern beaches end with access to Pittwater etc or best staying with around Sydney harbour? Will be on the water, probably likely to spend most of the time fishing the insides rather than blue water...

With the wife not having a preference it is obvious to me to base the decision on the access to quality fishing spots! :) :)

Your views / help would be appreciated!

Maaaaaaaate, thats a hard one, the fishing is endless in both waterways but if I had a choice I would love Forster. :thumbup:

I used to live in the Eastern suburbs and fished the harbour every week in the 60's and 70's and it was great. Then it nose dived. Over the last few years it has steadily increased to a great fishing harbour again.

I now live on the upper reaches of the Hawkesbury and the river is nowhere near as good as it was. There is still the odd big jew taken and some good size kings in Pittwater. I always catch fish when I fish the Hawkesbury but I have a better catch rate and better quality fish from the harbour.

My opinion for whats it's worth, the harbour wins hands down.

Regards Jeff

Thanks guys your opinions are really helpful... I thought the harbour might prove more popular as from online research the Hawkesbury is suffering a little. Are there less regulations up there? I know that commercial fishing is banned in the harbour - are they still allowed up around Pittwater?

the nth beaches is where i am and love it..

there is great spots locally pittwater is not as heavily crowded in peak times as the harbour.

yes pitty is not as productive sometimes but i shoot on down to roseville in 35min from avalon so i have best of both worlds if i want to hit the harbour..

i have lived all over sydney and this area has been best safest family area by far...

if you spend the time in pitty you will eventually get to know spots and when ya dont have 5 knobs crowding ya on a hot bite you will apreciate it over the harbour.

the scenery of the hawks is great , just wish the pro's didnt smash it so hard as its really struggling...

just my 2bobs worth...

good luck with your hunting...

cheers...steve.....

Roosterman is on the money. I have my boat moored in Pittwater and fish there with limited success but am on the list to get in the harbour.I fish the harbour in a mates tinny and i have to say i have more success there.I think its down to pro fishing being banned in the harbour.I know there are good spots in Pittwater but i'have only been here a few years and don't have the knowledge. Being in Brookie tho, i can just as easily fish Pittwater, the harbour, the beaches and Narrabeen lake.Its all good up here in Gods country :thumbup: (not counting Wales) :074:

Dave

Looks like another weekend of house hunting / viewing then for me this weekend. So throughly jealous of all you guys heading out onto the water wherever you are fishing! :(

This house hunting business is driving me bonkers! Ha ha...

Opted for Northern beaches just below Narrabeen lagoon at Cromer. Easy access to both Pittwater, the north shores and Narrabeen waters.

Next mission - find a boat! I'm itching to get on the water!

You have made a good choice. You will like the area very much. :biggrin2:

You can getaway without a boat in the lake with shore based flatties available all around the shore line

on SPs and live bait. There's some good flats around the back of cromer to wade also.

Enjoy

Steven

the hawks is a beautiful place,shame the fish dont think so, although without 10 trawlers netting the mouth 5 days a week im sure it would come good.

the harbour fishes well but is either packed with various boats on a weekend or sounds like a construction site during the week.

i will go with the harbour cos catching fish is the name of the game.

the hawks is a beautiful place,shame the fish dont think so, although without 10 trawlers netting the mouth 5 days a week im sure it would come good.

the harbour fishes well but is either packed with various boats on a weekend or sounds like a construction site during the week.

i will go with the harbour cos catching fish is the name of the game.

I think I will try and fish the harbour in the midweek as much as possible (with ear plugs) and if I have to go out at the weekend I will head up to the Hawkesbury to avoid the crowds. However will probably have to spend weekend enjoying the joys of shopping and lunching... and I absolutely hate shopping. Unless it's in a tackle shop or the butchers!