Botany Bay/first Time Fishing With Daughter

fran1mat

Hello Raiders,

This report will be in two sections.

We hit Botany Bay about 6am for a soft plastic session targetting flatties. It was slow early on, a couple of fish just on legal and a couple just under legal. While we were happily flicking away my mate draws my attention to a school of bait fish chopping up not far from us. We quickly swapped to some metal Raiders and motored a bit closer and proceeded to catch 15 tailor (all about 20cm) in about 15 minutes. It was plenty of fun, very fast and furious.

Just as quickly as they turned up, they dissapeared and we went back to focussing on the flathead.

We moved to the deeper water between Sans Souci and Towra Point (hint hint for those attending the social next weekend - you could throw stones at the park were the social will be situated) and that is when it got exciting. I hooked up with a 51cm flathead on my brand new Shimano Raider II Mexican Fire rod and Symetre reel. Both handled the fish beautifully.

post-10314-085399600 1285994719_thumb.jpg

post-10314-079290700 1285994757_thumb.jpg

Not long after I watched an equally large flathead chase my plastic up beside the boat until it seemed to notice the boat and took off (unfortunately without the plastic in his gob) I have been trialling a weighted soft plastic left to drift out behind the boat, and sure enough, as the lure passed about where the flathead had come up to the boat, wham, it was off. After a fight of a minute or two, during which it started to absolutely pour, another 51cm model was delivered to the side of the boat.

post-10314-088949800 1285995113_thumb.jpg

post-10314-058108000 1285995156_thumb.jpg

So the tally for part one of the day was 6 Flathead (2 X 51cm, 2 X 36cm & 2 X 34cm) 15 Tailor and a undersize bream.

Time beat us and we had to go back in but now we get to part two of the story. We loaded the boat up and ducked home and collected my 2 and a half year old daughter for her first ever fish. We motored out into the Georges River under the capable captaining of Miss Isabella

post-10314-046489400 1285995418_thumb.jpg

We had a quick flick and hooked up for her, after what seemed like an hour if 'winding, winding, winding daddy' her first ever fish - a flattie that went about 30cm. She absolutely loved it but couldn't understand why she couldn't give it 'huggles' which is her own little cross of a hug and a snuggle. He loved seeing the fish swim off.

post-10314-037648000 1285996373_thumb.jpg

post-10314-090466600 1285996439_thumb.jpg

All up we caught another 6 flathead for her pleasure before we had to head home for lunch and a sleep. She told her mum all about winding, winding winding (with the little hand motion of winding) and about the fish and driving the boat.

Just on another very quick note, my mate when we were trying to catch a fish for her, hooked an absolute ripper. Unfortunately he forgot to loosen his drag a bit (even though it did take a bit of line off him with the drag pretty tight) The fish straightened and snapped his hook. Pretty amazing stuff.

post-10314-098170900 1285995868_thumb.jpg

Anyway everyone, I know it is a long post, but I really enjoy reading posts when other Raiders have their little one's out for a fish or their first fish. I hope you guys enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoyed the afternoon.

Everything we caught was released today.

All the best

catch'n'release

Hello Raiders,

This report will be in two sections.

We hit Botany Bay about 6am for a soft plastic session targetting flatties. It was slow early on, a couple of fish just on legal and a couple just under legal. While we were happily flicking away my mate draws my attention to a school of bait fish chopping up not far from us. We quickly swapped to some metal Raiders and motored a bit closer and proceeded to catch 15 tailor (all about 20cm) in about 15 minutes. It was plenty of fun, very fast and furious.

Just as quickly as they turned up, they dissapeared and we went back to focussing on the flathead.

We moved to the deeper water between Sans Souci and Towra Point (hint hint for those attending the social next weekend - you could throw stones at the park were the social will be situated) and that is when it got exciting. I hooked up with a 51cm flathead on my brand new Shimano Raider II Mexican Fire rod and Symetre reel. Both handled the fish beautifully.

post-10314-085399600 1285994719_thumb.jpg

post-10314-079290700 1285994757_thumb.jpg

Not long after I watched an equally large flathead chase my plastic up beside the boat until it seemed to notice the boat and took off (unfortunately without the plastic in his gob) I have been trialling a weighted soft plastic left to drift out behind the boat, and sure enough, as the lure passed about where the flathead had come up to the boat, wham, it was off. After a fight of a minute or two, during which it started to absolutely pour, another 51cm model was delivered to the side of the boat.

post-10314-088949800 1285995113_thumb.jpg

post-10314-058108000 1285995156_thumb.jpg

So the tally for part one of the day was 6 Flathead (2 X 51cm, 2 X 36cm & 2 X 34cm) 15 Tailor and a undersize bream.

Time beat us and we had to go back in but now we get to part two of the story. We loaded the boat up and ducked home and collected my 2 and a half year old daughter for her first ever fish. We motored out into the Georges River under the capable captaining of Miss Isabella

post-10314-046489400 1285995418_thumb.jpg

We had a quick flick and hooked up for her, after what seemed like an hour if 'winding, winding, winding daddy' her first ever fish - a flattie that went about 30cm. She absolutely loved it but couldn't understand why she couldn't give it 'huggles' which is her own little cross of a hug and a snuggle. He loved seeing the fish swim off.

post-10314-037648000 1285996373_thumb.jpg

post-10314-090466600 1285996439_thumb.jpg

All up we caught another 6 flathead for her pleasure before we had to head home for lunch and a sleep. She told her mum all about winding, winding winding (with the little hand motion of winding) and about the fish and driving the boat.

Just on another very quick note, my mate when we were trying to catch a fish for her, hooked an absolute ripper. Unfortunately he forgot to loosen his drag a bit (even though it did take a bit of line off him with the drag pretty tight) The fish straightened and snapped his hook. Pretty amazing stuff.

post-10314-098170900 1285995868_thumb.jpg

Anyway everyone, I know it is a long post, but I really enjoy reading posts when other Raiders have their little one's out for a fish or their first fish. I hope you guys enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoyed the afternoon.

Everything we caught was released today.

All the best

catch'n'release

Top report mate good to see miss isabella enjoying quality time fishing with dad,Looking forward to boat fishing with my little son kieran he,s only 19 months thou almost their :1fishing1: .

Nice couple of flatties caught out there today well done.Also looks like you missed a good mulloway perfect day for them to be on the chew :ranting2:

That was a brilliant report catch'n'release! :thumbup:

Nice flatties and great photos! :thumbup:

But the highlight was the smile on your daughter's face! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

PS Any ideas what straightened and snapped your mate's hook?