Lake Cathie Holidays

jordan.widz

Hi everyone,

Just got back a few days ago from a week up at Lake Cathie (20min south of Port Macquarie) and had a great time while I stayed there at my grandparents holiday house.

Most the time it was raining and the seas were unfishable but we still managed to catch plenty of fish on the good days. The first fishing trip of the holidays was up the back of the lake with my dad in the tinny. We put one bait rod out and left it in the rod holder while my dad flicked around an assortment blades, soft plastics and harbodies and I worked a little Manns hardbdy for the whole day. Turns out this is my new favorite flattie lure as it got me 3 nice flatties (40, 45, 50cm) in only a few hours. Towards the end of the session my dad gets a 38cm flattie on a gulp pumkinseed grub and nothing decent hits the bait rod the whole day apart from some micro whiting which is strange because we usually pull some real elbow slappers out of the lake on peeled prawn and pink nippers.

post-14559-014051800 1286958661_thumb.jpg

50cm flattie on Manns S5+

post-14559-031362200 1286958858_thumb.jpg

The four flatties for the day mmmmmm :biggrin2:

Since the seas were still to big :1badmood: and we didn't want to risk either Lauriton or Port Macquarie bars we decided to take the big boat out with the whole family and fish somewhere we had never tried before, Limeburners Creek at Port Macquarie. I have heard many good things about this creek and thought it might be worth a shot.

After about and hour flicking lures around snags and over sand flats I cast my plastic up ahead of the boat and work it back slowly when all of a sudden my line gets heavy and...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Woah this is no flattie I say to myself. I fight this fish for a bit more then after its second screaming run I tighten up the drag on my sedonna 2500 and tell dad to reverse up on it as my spool was getting a bit empty... :mfr_lol:

After some very tense moments my dad nets a 67cm, plastic munching jewie. WooooHoooo!!! :yahoo:

post-14559-089272000 1286960936_thumb.jpg

My first jewfish caught on a plastic

Gear:

7ft 3-5 kg catana

Shimano Sedonna 2500

12lb fluro leader

12lb braid

Berkly Powerbait 3" minnow (4 years old lol)

post-14559-085163600 1286961238_thumb.jpg post-14559-090809400 1286961277_thumb.jpg

Well as you do, we keep fishing in the same spot in hope of another jewie but instead my mum hooks up and brings in a nice fat ludrick which was a first for her to and and very tasty :)

post-14559-048852200 1286962307_thumb.jpg post-14559-065736200 1286962352_thumb.jpg

It is getting towards the end of our trip by now but we still managed to fit in two more sessions. After a chat with the locals at the Lauriton the boat ramp and recieved some great advice on where the snapper, trag and pearlies were holding so we followed their directions and went offshore the next day and ended up with a nice mixed bag of 4 snapper to 2kg, 2 rubberlib mowies to 1.5kg and 3 flatties to 1kg. All fish were taken on squid and pillies and made a great couple of meals.

post-14559-011548600 1286963244_thumb.jpg

And the last trip was up was a quick flick up the back of the lake again but this time with SP's as I lost my favorite flattie hardbodie. I still managed to yield 4 small flatties in 2hrs, only two going legal though.

And thats it for my Lake Cathie trip for now and I can't wait to go back up in the christmas holidays. And it was good to have a nice steak after all that fish LOL.

Cheers,

Prawn Star

P.S love the new upload limit admin :biggrinthumb:

Edited by Prawn Star

Great report mate,

Top bag of fish there and congrats on the Jewie... all these reports of mulloway on plastics are making me jealous! Good to know the Manns still work on the flatties, I've got a few of them waiting to be dusted off in the tacklebox.

Cheers,

Adam.

Great report mate,

Top bag of fish there and congrats on the Jewie... all these reports of mulloway on plastics are making me jealous! Good to know the Manns still work on the flatties, I've got a few of them waiting to be dusted off in the tacklebox.

Cheers,

Adam.

+1 ... Great report, great fish and your first Jew on a SP- overall a fantastic holiday

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

Just got back a few days ago from a week up at Lake Cathie (20min south of Port Macquarie) and had a great time while I stayed there at my grandparents holiday house.

Most the time it was raining and the seas were unfishable but we still managed to catch plenty of fish on the good days. The first fishing trip of the holidays was up the back of the lake with my dad in the tinny. We put one bait rod out and left it in the rod holder while my dad flicked around an assortment blades, soft plastics and harbodies and I worked a little Manns hardbdy for the whole day. Turns out this is my new favorite flattie lure as it got me 3 nice flatties (40, 45, 50cm) in only a few hours. Towards the end of the session my dad gets a 38cm flattie on a gulp pumkinseed grub and nothing decent hits the bait rod the whole day apart from some micro whiting which is strange because we usually pull some real elbow slappers out of the lake on peeled prawn and pink nippers.

post-14559-014051800 1286958661_thumb.jpg

50cm flattie on Manns S5+

post-14559-031362200 1286958858_thumb.jpg

The four flatties for the day mmmmmm :biggrin2:

Since the seas were still to big :1badmood: and we didn't want to risk either Lauriton or Port Macquarie bars we decided to take the big boat out with the whole family and fish somewhere we had never tried before, Limeburners Creek at Port Macquarie. I have heard many good things about this creek and thought it might be worth a shot.

After about and hour flicking lures around snags and over sand flats I cast my plastic up ahead of the boat and work it back slowly when all of a sudden my line gets heavy and...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Woah this is no flattie I say to myself. I fight this fish for a bit more then after its second screaming run I tighten up the drag on my sedonna 2500 and tell dad to reverse up on it as my spool was getting a bit empty... :mfr_lol:

After some very tense moments my dad nets a 67cm, plastic munching jewie. WooooHoooo!!! :yahoo:

post-14559-089272000 1286960936_thumb.jpg

My first jewfish caught on a plastic

Gear:

7ft 3-5 kg catana

Shimano Sedonna 2500

12lb fluro leader

12lb braid

Berkly Powerbait 3" minnow (4 years old lol)

post-14559-085163600 1286961238_thumb.jpg post-14559-090809400 1286961277_thumb.jpg

Well as you do, we keep fishing in the same spot in hope of another jewie but instead my mum hooks up and brings in a nice fat ludrick which was a first for her to and and very tasty :)

post-14559-048852200 1286962307_thumb.jpg post-14559-065736200 1286962352_thumb.jpg

It is getting towards the end of our trip by now but we still managed to fit in two more sessions. After a chat with the locals at the Lauriton the boat ramp and recieved some great advice on where the snapper, trag and pearlies were holding so we followed their directions and went offshore the next day and ended up with a nice mixed bag of 4 snapper to 2kg, 2 rubberlib mowies to 1.5kg and 3 flatties to 1kg. All fish were taken on squid and pillies and made a great couple of meals.

post-14559-011548600 1286963244_thumb.jpg

And the last trip was up was a quick flick up the back of the lake again but this time with SP's as I lost my favorite flattie hardbodie. I still managed to yield 4 small flatties in 2hrs, only two going legal though.

And thats it for my Lake Cathie trip for now and I can't wait to go back up in the christmas holidays. And it was good to have a nice steak after all that fish LOL.

Cheers,

Prawn Star

P.S love the new upload limit admin :biggrinthumb:

well done