Out From Roseville Monday

saltrix

With a weather forecast of 10 knots W to SW easing during the morning I was looking forward to a good mornings fishing with my son who was down from Brisbane, after a couple of months holidays in Europe.

The clouds of birds at North Heads was a good sign, as we had quickly given up on the squid because we were blown off the spots.

The schools the birds were working seemed mostly bonito feeding on 20mm size fish, but they took deep diver lures and we picked up a couple for the table and one for bait and headed out to DY wide to get a few flathead and mowies that were around before my absence.

It was a bit bumpy on the way out so I thought I would adjust the trim a bit but the motor woud raise but not lower so I was stuck with it too far out of the water. I knew there was a manual screwdriver release but hanging over the back in a pretty choppy sea trying to find the hole was a bit of a task but got there eventually and got to the spot.

Even with the sea anchor and a heavy sinker we could not hold the bottom, and instead of easing the breeze was gusting to around 18 knots so we gave it away and headed back in.

The water police were searching around the North Head area for the missing fisherman, they were certainly putting the effort in with a Helicopter, 3 boats, divers,and a Jetski.

After a couple more bonito and a tailor we headed home, No photos as it was not much of a day. Got to figure out now why my motor will only tilt up and not down.

With a weather forecast of 10 knots W to SW easing during the morning I was looking forward to a good mornings fishing with my son who was down from Brisbane, after a couple of months holidays in Europe.

The clouds of birds at North Heads was a good sign, as we had quickly given up on the squid because we were blown off the spots.

The schools the birds were working seemed mostly bonito feeding on 20mm size fish, but they took deep diver lures and we picked up a couple for the table and one for bait and headed out to DY wide to get a few flathead and mowies that were around before my absence.

It was a bit bumpy on the way out so I thought I would adjust the trim a bit but the motor woud raise but not lower so I was stuck with it too far out of the water. I knew there was a manual screwdriver release but hanging over the back in a pretty choppy sea trying to find the hole was a bit of a task but got there eventually and got to the spot.

Even with the sea anchor and a heavy sinker we could not hold the bottom, and instead of easing the breeze was gusting to around 18 knots so we gave it away and headed back in.

The water police were searching around the North Head area for the missing fisherman, they were certainly putting the effort in with a Helicopter, 3 boats, divers,and a Jetski.

After a couple more bonito and a tailor we headed home, No photos as it was not much of a day. Got to figure out now why my motor will only tilt up and not down.

Good to see you got out amongst it. Yes it was windy and i had plans of heading out to North Head as well but stayed in MH. Must have been the day for boat problems. Glad it all worked out.

Cheers

Mike

Got to figure out now why my motor will only tilt up and not down

There may be 2 relays that control your electric tilt/trim. One relay gives you up and the other relay gives you down. One relay may have failed. You should be able to swap the relays around to prove the theory. Might be worth changing both if they are the same age.

In the last 2 outboards I've had they were automotive style relays similar to what you use for spot lights or air horns etc on a car. Worth about $10 from a any chain automotive store, maybe a bit more if you buy it from a marine mechanics joint.

cheers

Rod