Difficulty Steering Left..

elite

Hey Raiders,

Would anyone know why it's hard for me to steer the steering wheel to the left? It feels like wires are jammed behind the steering wheel??

Turning right is easy but once you steer back to centre, it's difficult and when the engine is straight again the wheel gets really tight when your trying to make the engine turn so the boat goes left.

hopefully it's a common and easily repairable issue...thanks in advance!!

Without knowing what sort of steering system you have

makes it a bit difficult.

If you have hydralic,all you have to do is lift plug off at

back of steering wheel and top up well.then she will be fine.

Edited by rickb

Thanks for the replies all!

Chrisg: Yes, it's the same out of the water.

Whaler 255 / Rickb: Sorry, im very new to boating so not too sure if it's "hydraulic". I'll check tonight when i get home and see if there's any cap on the back of the steering for me to top up with "sterring oil"?.

Not sure if it helps, but the boat is approx built in 1995. Motor is Mercury (blue band) 40hp oil injected (i think).

Thanks for the replies all!

Chrisg: Yes, it's the same out of the water.

Whaler 255 / Rickb: Sorry, im very new to boating so not too sure if it's "hydraulic". I'll check tonight when i get home and see if there's any cap on the back of the steering for me to top up with "sterring oil"?.

Not sure if it helps, but the boat is approx built in 1995. Motor is Mercury (blue band) 40hp oil injected (i think).

take a photo and post it and it will sort the confusion out

Elite, it sounds to me as though your cables are stuffed. If it is a '95 model motor then I doubt you have got hydraulic steering. The fact that it is easy to turn right usually means that the torque of the engine is assisting in this, and when you return to centre or steer to left it becomes difficult. This is normally caused by old steering cables that are either rusted inside or totally dry of lubrication. There is no fix for this other than buying a new set of cables, around $200. If the cables haven't been changed for a few years then I would say this is your problem.

If you are a novice then seek pro advice.

Cheers, Tuffy.

If I remember rightly turning left is a retraction of the cable at the motor end. That suggests a gunking up of the inner and outer cables.

It can be cleaned up if thats the case but generally becomes prone to re-occur and as Tuffy said a replacement is probably the best way to go.

Other caused could be a obstruction or failure at the helm end.

If you disconnect steering at the motor ensure the motor can be moved freely by hand and then try the steering. Might indicate where the problem is.

C.

i had the exact same problem, eventually it siezed up totaly (after a long period of no use) the rod at the end of the cable had stuck in the tube at the engine mount.

after i undid the nut connecting the motor to the cable i put a cloth around the rod and used vice grips and a can of lanox to slowly free it up. eventually i was able to totaly remove the rod and used a bottle brush (the kind you clean babies bottles with) to clean out the houseing. after refitting the rod and reconnecting the motor it all works perfectly again and now i just keep it lubricated with lanox after each outing or a quick spray each fortnight if i havent used the boat.

dont use grease or petrolium based products (like wd40) as lubricant as they will just gunk it all up again.

I would be pulling the steering rod out on the engine, its the bit that slides in and out when you turn the engine. Quite often when the grease dries up in side the slide it will go hard and restrict steering. you will need a bottle brush of some desciption and run it though the tube to clean the grease out, the cover it in new grease.

The part is in the photo with the outboard in it

Before you try anything else grease the pivot positions the motor turns on. There will be grease nipples on the leg and the steering arm to grease.

Then get someone to turn the steering wheel and try to push the engine right and left buy hand as they turn the wheel back and forward.

See if it starts to free up.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem was that the impeller was burnt out.

All good now. Thanks heaps all for the information.

It's good to learn more and more about the mechanics of the boat and motor when given advice then mucking around with it.

Cheers!!

+1 for Huey. He sorted us some new stainless wire steering for pretty damn cheap. Also the impellor has nothing to do with steering, it's part of the cooling system in the engine.

Ask your mechanic what he did and The price and ask a raider if you have been taken for a ride.